Username Post: Making a card kit for 9 yr old        (Topic#1579461)
ndugan 
New Kid On the Block

Has anyone ever put together a card kit? I have a great neice that will turn 9 this month and she enjoys crafting. I have given her several crafty gifts in the past that she has enjoyed making. I have several Cricut cartridges and am thinking about cutting out some cute die cuts and putting together a card kit for her. Has anyone ever done this? If so can you give me some pointers. Did you keep each card's "pieces" together seperately in a zip lock bag? What all did you include? Should I make a photo of each card (assembled without adhesive)as a sample to guide her? Any suggestions for a pretty box or other container?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ndugan

Yes, I did one for my grandson when he was about that same age,,,,I included A2 cards (prefolded) some colored cardstock cut to A2 size, die cuts, ribbon, lace, flowers (yeah, he's a boy, but he makes cards for GIRLS ) some metal embellishments, leftover embellies like K and co die cuts, stickers, etc that I had,,,,just a whole bunch of things,,,,,he has an ATG, but I would have included some tape runners if he didn't. I did include some dimensionals, too,,,Oh, and envelopes and stamps,,,,,

I wouldn't include sample pics, only because my style isn't his,,,,I let him go with it, and he did completely different things than I would have done,,,,,but he had a ball!!!

ndugan 
New Kid On the Block
In response to CommaHolly

Thanks. That helps. So you didn't keep thngs seperate, just included it all in one container/box?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ndugan

I'm sorry yes, I used zip loc bags to separate things,,,,,ribbon and lace in one bag,,,sandwich bags for A2 papers and card stock,,,,,buttons and other small embellies in another,,,,,,,

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to CommaHolly

I used to do them for my sister's kids and for the boys I included stickers too as the boys I knew wanted to have it done instantly so I figured stickers would make it faster. I included strips of different patterned papers so they could make a card with a stripe of different paper on it, or many stripes, they told me afterwards how cool that they did not have to cut all that paper. I also included some charms and ribbon or fibers to attach the charms. I tried to use charms that matched a theme like animals or flowers then had pattern of die cuts or papers also with the same theme. I love to make card kits, I really enjoy it!
I forgot to say, the small priority mail boxes make perfect boxes for card kits. I take one and fold it together then decorate it with paint and whatever embellishments suit the person it is for. And Yes I know I am supposed to use those for mailing, but who is going to know if I use an occasional one for more permanent purpose??

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to catzscrapper

I LOVE that idea, and your great niece will be thrilled - you're a good great-aunt.

I wish I could do that with my 9-year-old niece too, as she loves crafting. But SIL tends to tell DH what she's already bought the kids, and he chooses what to pay for, rather than letting us choose.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics