Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Where Do I begin?        (Topic#1579465)
ebonysmith19
Tenant
ebonysmith19

Hi everyone! My name is Ebony and I am new here. I'm so new that I have yet to start a layout. A few months ago I took an interest in scrapbooking because I wanted to have a positive hobby...other than watching tv,lol! I have thousands of photos so I figured this was a perfect way to feature some of my favorites. Since then I have watched tons of scrapbooking videos on YouTube and I have a wishlist going on this site. I also subscribed to the scrapbooking classes on this site. After quite a busy summer I think I'm ready to finally do my first layout. The problem is that I have no idea where to begin. I feel so overwhelmed by the layouts I see and the products in the store. If anyone has any suggestions on creating a basic layout for beginners or just anything to help get me started, that would be great:-) What products do you recommend? And one last thing...I'm having trouble adding my profile pic. I've followed the instructions (which aren't very hard) numerous times and I can't get the pic to come up on my profile. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your comments and I love all the layouts on this site by the way!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to ebonysmith19

Welcome
The "Getting Started" link at the top of this forum section should be a bit of help to you.

As for the avatar, your file may be too large. Resize it to a much smaller size and see if it will work.

MiaFrancis
Resident
MiaFrancis

Hi Ebony =)

I got into scrapbooking couple months ago and I just let my imagination run free =) Don't worry about having lot of stuff now, you can actually decide what theme of first layout and go get stuff for it and continue this way and you will slowly get what you need =) that is what I did. Don't let it to overwhelm you or you won't enjoy it.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to MiaFrancis

Wanted to add this thread - it has avatar info that will help you

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15736...

ebonysmith19
Tenant
ebonysmith19
In response to Here Kitty

Thank you so much! I will try resizing my photo tonight and hopefully that will fix it. I will check out the link as well. Thanks again for your help!

ebonysmith19
Tenant
ebonysmith19

Thank you Mia. That's really great advice. I think that's my main problem which is the layout, but what you suggested should really help. Hopefully I will be posting my first one soon!

res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d

Ebony welcome!! You sound like me!! I have been watching a ton of you tube videos. I started scrapping 12 yrs ago, took a long 5 year break. Wow has it changed!!! I feel like I have never scrapped before.
Remember scrapping is a very personal craft and be YOU(:

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to res19s2d

Just start. I know that seems easy, but it is!!! I promise when you complete your first layout, the secondis easier, and the third is easier!!! Don't worry about being to "right" or correct.....just start. Sketches are a great way to start. I have a board of sketches on my pintrest (you can link through my blog in my signature).
Just start. But the only "rule" that I go by is that once I am done with a LO, I am done! No redoing layouts!!! You will get better with time, you will find your style, and when you look back at your first couple of layouts, you might be tempted to redo them. Don't. First of all, we all start somewhere!!! And they are great to look back and see how your style evolves and changes! Plus, if you are continuing to redo layouts, you never get ahead!!!!

ebonysmith19
Tenant
ebonysmith19
In response to Here Kitty

Yeeeeeah I was able to resize my photo and finally add it to my profile. Thanks again for your help!

ebonysmith19
Tenant
ebonysmith19
In response to res19s2d

Thank you so much! I'm starting to feel a bit more confident about getting started.

ebonysmith19
Tenant
ebonysmith19
In response to binkiemonstermom

Thanks! Your right...I just need to start it and get it over with,lol! I think my problem is that I want my LO's to be perfect, but I realize that's it's not about that. I will have to check out your Pinterest board and follow you. I am a Pinterest-holic and have come across a few layouts on there for inspiration myself. Well time to go...I'm currently watching the Olympics as I'm typing this:-) Thanks again for your kind advice.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

Hi, Ebony:

Welcome to SB.com! I started scrapbooking by coming up with titles for the pictures I had. I started with family heritage albums, and I had pages for mothers and daughters, brothers and sisters, etc. In addition to titles, journaling will help you let teh pictures tell the story. You cannot write everything about everything, so you will need to develop an eye for the special details, etc. If you have great pics with cute titles and great journaling, you have what I consider to be the backbone of a good LO. That's all I can tell you, b/c like I said, that's how I started. actually, at the time I was working on what I thought would be just a plain old photo album. when I came up with titles for the pages, I realized I was, indeed, scrapbooking. Hope that helps.

MiaFrancis
Resident
MiaFrancis
In response to jaspernonyx

Ebony, your layout will be perfect =) It will be perfect because it will be you, that is how I look at it and like was here said you will only get better with time and I'm sure your first layouts will be really cute =) can't wait to see them!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

Exactly what MiaFrancis said!!!! It will be perfect!!!!
A lot of times I do a LO or technique just to see if I can! It doesn't always come out exactly right but it is always MY design!!! No rules to scrapbooking except have fun!!!!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Hi Ebony and welcome!

Some advice from a girl who plunged straight into an album as a gift, so it had to be perfect LOL. Your wedding album will probably be displayed in chronological order, right? But you don't have to scrap each page in the order it will come.

I suggest roughly planning the papers you want to use, and the embellishments, and which photos you want on each page. Then pick some photos from somewhere in the middle - fun ones rather than elegant. Maybe you with your friends? And scrap that first. Get to know your tools, your colours, how the papers feel, what you like and what you don't. Maybe choose a page from the Gallery which has the same number and orientation of photos, and copy (scrap-lift) it using your own colours and products.

Don't try making your title page first, otherwise you will be overwhelmed.

Oh, and if you like the look of slanting your photos, don't angle them too much, just enough for interest.

You won't get "perfect" and that doesn't matter, because it's your wedding, your album, your way. And it will be beautiful. Good luck and have fun!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel

I still don't know where to start sometimes when I start a new page. I finally found what works for me.

I get a 12 x 12 white page (I use one that comes in the scrapbook pages).

I put my pictures on it, the embellies, type out journaling if I'm journaling on that page, lay down die cuts, brads that match - whatever I want all on the white paper.

Then I see a theme and things jump out at me. I substitute the white paper for printed paper or plain cardstock and even look for patterns and cardstock that look nice with those pictures or memoribilia.

Then I move stuff around and play with it until I like what I've done. But the only way I can do a page is just to move the stuff around and the only way I can pick papers and cardstock is to lay them all down on white and see what colors jump out at me.

Sketches don't help me, they frustrate me but I do occasionally look in the gallery for ideas once I have selected everything to get ideas for arranging my stuff if I don't like what I'm coming up with on my own.

ebonysmith19
Tenant
ebonysmith19
In response to jaspernonyx

Thank you! Yes this helps very much:-) I think I would be better at the titles than journaling. I'm sure I can do some journaling since I'm able to look at some of my photos and still remember certain details of that day. It's the dates I don't really remember. I may have to start to keep track of them

ebonysmith19
Tenant
ebonysmith19

Thank you so much!!

ebonysmith19
Tenant
ebonysmith19

I like that idea...No Rules!!:-)

ebonysmith19
Tenant
ebonysmith19
In response to Henri Jean

Great advice!! I will keep this in mind. I've checked out a few sketches, but I'm thrown off by the picture sizes???

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics