Page 2 of 2 
Username Post: Where Do I begin?        (Topic#1579465)
ebonysmith19
Tenant
ebonysmith19
In response to binkiemonstermom

Nice blog!! I started following your pins as well:-)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ebonysmith19

I made a scrapbook in 1969 when my husband and I were dating. We broke up, he got the book, gave it to his mother when he went in the army, his sister got it when his mother died. At some point it got wet - was a moldy mess but still basically intact.

I was able to salvage some of the pictures but am heartbroken that I didn't journal. I don't know the stories behind the pictures or the dates or who some of the people are. I learned my lesson.

Now I tell the stories and have learned to enjoy journaling the stories that go with the pictures. I want to know the details. If we went out to dinner - who did we go with and did we order something special? Was it a special event for someone in our group? Did something funny happen.

For example - and this is a wonderful story. My ex-husband went out to eat with about 10 people that worked for his company in different cities around the country. Total strangers to him - they met in class that morning and were together for 4 hours of morning meetings and classes and then went to lunch together.

After they were seated he excused himself before they ordered and went to the men's room.

When he came back he went to the table and sat down and then ordered with everyone. The food came and everyone was talking. Then someone asked him if he was friends of the bride or the groom? He said he worked with everyone.

While he was in the men's room the restaurant moved everyone to another table and he didn't realize it since he didn't know the people very well so he ordered with the wedding people and started eating with them before he realized he wasn't with the people he was supposed to be with. He was at the correct table - the people had just been moved to another table and another group seated there.

You can show pictures of the people all day but you need the story or its going to get lost.

Most of my pages have a story behind them - almost all of them do and that is what I don't want to loose.

When my kids go through books with pages on them they read the stories and pay more attentiont to the journaling more than they do the photos.

One person here said she would try journaling on the book she was making for her fiance. She couldn't believe it - he liked the jouraling best - he read every word and that is what made him smile.

Journaling and photos work together.

All I'm saying is I have big regrets that I didn't journal many years ago - so many memories lost.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Henri Jean

I think of journaling as me explaining the pictures to the person looking at the album...but I don't have to be standing over their shoulder. I write what I would want people to know about what's going on in the layout. It may sound boring as you're writing it, but every moment in life isn't a big exciting adventure. Well, except for Henri's

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8

Hi Ebony,
I remember that day like it was yesterday and not 12 years ago!!! Thats when I started scrapbooking. Enough of that nonsense. My main question to you would be how do you want to scrapbook. That might help you figure out where to start. I am a chronological scrapbooker so I scrapbook by year. I also have birthday albums for my children which includes their birthdays and any extracurricular activities that they do. Some people scrapbook by event and have albums for each holiday and events that have occured in your life. You can check out my site at scrappingwonders.com and you might find some ideas from there as well.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to thehappyscrapper8

That is funny Mrs. Driver. I don't think about my life as being exciting but I guess I do get to do a lot and go to a lot of places because my husband loves to travel.

However, my life didn't start getting fun until I was 60. Before then it was pretty normal.

Now my husband and I do have a lot of fun, we are loving retirement!

I agree with what you wrote - I also like a person to be able to tell what is going on and know the stories without me having to stand over their shoulders and tell them.

My oldest son really wants all my scrapbooks and I want everything to make sense to him. I want his daughter, my granddaughter to know me through my pages.

Everyone scraps for a different reason - like the Happy Scrapper said. I agree wholeheartedly.

And I think you have to decide that before you know how you want to scrap. Some scrappers want the artistry and beauty of each page. Some want to preserve the pictures.

I want to tell the story of our relationship, our travels and lives in words, pictures and momentos.

And I want books that my husband and I can enjoy when we can't travel anymore and I want all the stories and funny things to job our memories.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Henri Jean

Ditto...especially ditto to loving the retirement years. One of our kids gave my hubby a desk plaque that says, "You can't make me. I'm retired." and that pretty well sums up our life now. We worked hard for many years and now we're enjoying our pay-off.

I know our oldest daughter & her girls will want my albums. The other kids will enjoy looking at them at her house :>) But it won't be like my mom and me looking through my grandma's albums and wondering who some of the people were...like why this one guy is asleep in a bed right in the middle of a family picture from around 1900. If only the old pictures had been journaled!

DeborahM-Mom of Two
Idol
DeborahM-Mom of Two

Everyone has good suggestions. What helped me when I was starting was collecting pics of layouts I liked. I used them to scraplift - whether it's the placement, style, sketch, etc. and it helped me feel comfortable creating my own layouts.

ebonysmith19
Tenant
ebonysmith19
In response to DeborahM-Mom of Two

Thank you all so much for your suggestions!! They are very helpful and I feel a bit more confident now. I'm looking at ordering this beginner scrapbook tool kit to help get me started. Hopefully I can start my first layout when I get back from my Myrtle Beach vacation next week!! Can't wait to show you guys my first layout!

Page 2 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics