Username Post: Best advise for cutting an "O"        (Topic#1579529)
New Kid On the Block

Hi all!
I am not a scrapbooker so I do not know much about this stuff however I have a task to do that needs to be completed quickly. I have hand cut everything I need except for the circle shape. I purchased the martha stewert circle cutter and it is absolute junk!
I need about 500 1 & 3/16" circles with an inner 1" circle cut out. "Basically an "O" shape."
It seems like such a simple shape but it is going to be the death of me. I would like a cheap option but I am not opposed to purchasing a machine if need be (I could always use it for other crafts later.)

If someone could give me advise and a list of the exact items I need to get this done I would greatly appreciate it. I am currently looking at the cricut mini but I don't know what cartridge I would need or if I need any software to set up the circles to cut the big one with a little one inside of it.

I'm also interested in the Sizzex but I don't see any shape that comes even close to what I am looking for.

I would also need to purchase the items at a craft store tomorrow so I can cut the circles tomorrow night.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!!
Missy

New Kid On the Block
In response to MissyAmerica

I forgot to mention I am using regular cheap scrapbook paper. I should also note that I will be needing to cut these circles out several times a year which is why I am willing to make a bigger investment.
Thanks again!
Missy

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-08-12 08:19 AM

For production work like that I'd definitely suggest an electronic machine. Otherwise you'll just get tendonitis tring to cut that many from either punches or a hand-crank machine.

It can be an expensive purchase though, and each machine has its own set of pros and cons. Not to mention you probably won't be able to find most of the machines at a regular craft store so you'll have to order. You should definitely do your research before spending money on a machine you won't be happy with.

You can easily do the shape with the Gazelle, Silhouette Cameo, or Sizzix eClips because you can do custom designs in the software. There are other electronic machines, too. I personally don't like the Cricut system (although it is very popular) so I don't know whether they have something that will work or not. Each machine has a learning curve as well, so that will add time to the process.

If you go manual, the Big Shot or the Cuttlebug are almost the same and will accept all the same dies. You'll have to accept different size circles, though. Spellbinder Nestie Circles will be the closest to what you're looking for, I think, or look for the Quickutz/Lifestyle Nesting Circles. Most punches I've seen come in half-inch increments. But with manual you'll mostly be cutting ONE circle at a time. Sizzix does have BigZ circle dies that cut several at once, these are in quarter-inch increments, but you'll still be doing a LOT of cranking to get 500.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to stick

It would work in a Cricut if you use Craft Room or Design Studio or the Gypsy - the cheapest way would be to get a Cricut Mini and use Craft Room. You can custom-size your shapes if you use one of those.

New Kid On the Block
In response to aquabunny

Thanks so much for the detailed responses! I'm thinking I will go the cricut mini route. Do you know where I get the software for my computer that lets me change the sizes? Also what cartridge would I need to make that shape?
Thanks again guys!!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I was going to say use circle punches in 2 sizes. Punch the smaller first, then the outside. I have the Creative Memories circle punch, which is 2 sizes in one punch.

Then I noticed you need to make 500!

Maybe check a print shop? They may be able to cut those for you on a plotter? May be less expensive than purchasing a machine.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

You would be able to get the Craft Room software from Cricut's web site. The Cricut Mini comes with a free digital cartridge called "Cricut Font and Basic Shapes", which contains a circle, so you wouldn't need to buy any additional cartridges. Then you would place two circles on the mat in Craft Room, size them as you wish and nest them together, and then you could even copy them to fill the room on the mat before cutting.

New Kid On the Block
In response to aquabunny

I purchased the cricut mini about an hour ago, It took me about 10 minutes to set everything up, download the software, make a template on the craft room, and cut out about 100 circles!!! I'm one happy camper!
Thanks so much for all the help everyone!
Missy

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8

Glad you got the cricut that was going to be my suggestion for sure! Happy Scrapping

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics