Username Post: Alcohol Inks        (Topic#1579569)
Katydidd
Veteran
Katydidd

I love the way the Tim Holtz Ranger alcohol inks look. In the video I saw Tim says use them on stuff that isn't poreous. So here's my question, what happens if you use them on regular scrapbook paper and cardstock? Most of what I use is regular paper and I don't want to invest a lot of money (that I don't really have) into something I won't use a lot. If alcohol inks aren't the way I need to go can somebody make any recommendations? I really appreciate it.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Tonys page
Diva
Tonys page
In response to Katydidd

Hi there!!! At first sorry for my bad english writhing. I can only speek of my own experience. I use the alcohol inks not on paper only on non poreous material like iron plastic stone photopaper etc. I try to use it in paper but That did not work for me. You can make your own mist and spray it on paper That looks great. You can find tutorials on YouTube. I hope you can do something with this info. Have a great scrappy time!!!! Riza(:

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Tonys page

You can certainly use alcohol inks on paper, but they aren't designed for that, so you lose the properties that make them so cool to work with.

Porous surfaces will suck the ink in immediately. While you will get the vibrant colors, you won't be able to layer or blend them.

It is also suggested that you not use them in a spray as they are highly toxic if inhaled. In his video, TH actually says you should use them in a well ventilated area.

If you want to make your own sprays (which is super fun!), use reinkers and maybe throw a little pearl powder in there too. Mix with water and spray away!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Kim222

How about making the most of the blending properties of the alcohol inks, by blending them in a cut down page protector? Then you could put your regular paper/card-stock on top and get a similar effect. Instead of blending on the paper, you'd be blending on the plastic. Just a thought.

Oh and if you have left-over photo paper, you can use that instead of the expensive glossy card-stock.

DeborahM-Mom of Two
Idol
DeborahM-Mom of Two
In response to RedSquirrel

If you gesso the paper you can use the alcohol inks over it, but you'll have a white background. I would recommend getting the Ranger Adirondack inks instead - they have the same colors and are meant for paper.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to dianefox

huh? reported

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to madmatter

There is special treated paper, or you can use them on photo paper as well. You will not get the mottled, marbled look on regular card stock as it just sinks right in.

The Adirondack color washes are the same colors, but dye based, so those (as suggested above) work great on card stock and regular paper! But, it is still not a marbled look as the properties that make it look like are because the inks are alcohol based.

Have fun!!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to dianefox

• dianefox Said:
Of course, we do not think that simply can solve this problem into a more distinctive color

Man, I wish I could solve my problems into a more distinctive color.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics