Username Post: Daycare lunch/snacks        (Topic#1579601)
Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free

Raelyn starts daycare on the 20th. She will be almost 15m old. I have to provide lunch and snacks. I really want to start being more careful about her not having processed stuff and eating things that are healthy.

Ideas? Obviously, the easier to do, the better!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Mercy4Free

Google muffin tin meals. There are great ideas for healthy lunches and snacks.

My son wasn't a picky eater...he is pickier now that he's 9...but what comes to mind is cut up fruit and veggies, chunks of cheese, a small sandwich on whole wheat bread, soup, yogurt.

Hmmmm I'll see if I can think of other things.

Als_Gal
Guru
Als_Gal
In response to pugs223

Since she is so little how about do it yourself lunchables just cut up cheese meats and crackers. Yogurt, cut up fruit is another thing my Ashlee used to like. I do whole wheat pasta with chopped veggies and a little italian dressing and she loved it, I used the silly little shapes which were easy for her to grab hold of.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Als_Gal

What does she eat for lunch and snacks at home?

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free
In response to angie girl

well, not that she has been eating bad, but i do want to improve what we have giving at home too. she has been eating a lot of the gerber pasta pickups, which is okay I guess, but still processed...

whole grain pasta shapes is a great idea! i can put some peas and carrots in there with it....

Mercy4Free
Diva
Mercy4Free

ill be glad when she can eat with a spoon/fork...not that i want her to grow up too fast!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12

check out the organic section for bunny crackers and things like that. they don't have all the chemicals. i but the whole wheat goldfish because they don't have all the additives like other flavors.

kix cereal is good too.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Lamoo12

Nathaniel is almost 14 months and hasn't mastered the spoon/fork yet either. He's really picky, but here are things he likes:

sliced fruit - fresh, or those little fruit cups (the ones in fruit juice, not syrup)
squeezable applesauce/fruit packets - a little more expensive, but less mess - you can get these organic
cooked peas/carrots
spaghetti with meat sauce
chunks of chicken - I throw a bunch of chicken breasts in the crockpot and cook it nice and soft and have leftovers
toast/toasted bagel
chunks/slices of cheese
grilled cheese! (I swear the kid could live on this and spaghetti!)
whole wheat cereal
cereal bars (still processed, but you can find some kinds with not as much sugar and junk) - good for a quick snack - I get the "adult" kind, not the ones in the toddler section - I find some of the Nutrigrain bars are healthier than the toddler ones!
whole wheat crackers
meatballs (mix ground beef/turkey/chicken, a little egg, some parm cheese, breadcrumbs and some shredded veggies - carrots, onion, zucchini, whatever - yum! Nate can't get enough of these) You can add sauce or not.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to scraprabbit

I like your ideas Sarah. We'll have to wait until Jolene has more than 2 teeth but I'll have to help Abby make some of the meatballs and give her my small crock pot to cook up some chicken.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics