Username Post: Stampes        (Topic#1579607)
justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

Hi,

I was at Michaels today shopping around. I like Tim Holtz stamps and his distress ink. I wanted to get some of them. But I notice I didn't see any block to put the stamps on. I also didn't know what ink to use for the stampes. I know Tim Holtz distress ink is more for paper and edges to give them more a distress look and feel. I decided to hold off until I ask you guys. What kind of ink should I get for the stampes. Where do I find something to put some of Tim Holtz stampes on. The stampes were nor the wooden block ones. I saw the ones I like they were called ancestry stampes I think. They were in a plastic cover. Plus didn't know what ink to get besides the distress ink. If you can help with my question it would be of great help.
Thank you have a great weekend

Justie

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to justartguy007

Welcome to sb.c! These are my favorite things to use with my stamps. Tim Holtz has some great videos on his website. I highly recommend them.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to Luvmyfam

Thank you for the ideas of what ink I should get. The next time I go to Michaels or other craft stores. I'll take a list of these names of products you told me about.

Justie

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease

Justie, like Jen, I prefer Memento Ink for stamping. It comes in a variety of colors. In fact, some of the stores (Hobby Lobby, for instance) sell a variety pack that have little 1" memento ink pad squares. Each square is a different color. Harder to cover bigger stamps using those little ink squares, but it gives you a variety. Joann's used to sell the bigger pads in three packs - black, brown, and another color. With coupons, you can get the three pack or the variety pack pretty inexpensively.

As for the clear blocks, I'm surprised M's didn't have them in the stamping section. They also sell the small ones in the dollar spot, usually. It's a bit more challenging, but you can always use an empty CD case as a clear block, too.

If you are ever using an unmounted stamp that doesn't have a good, thick layer of cling, try putting a thick mouse pad under your paper before stamping. It will help your image come out more clearly.

Be careful - it's addicting. I have hundreds of stamps now and can't seem to stop buying more!

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to siameseplease

Thanks, lol I'll try. Just want to get my hands on some of Tim Holtz stamps have some ideas for a painting....

Justie

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY

Yes! Siameseplease is right- it is addicting. I have tons of stamps. And all the Distress Inks. And a huge box of other ink pads. I can't say no to anything.

Just use a 40% off coupon to get any acrylic block for the unmounted stamps. I have a couple of small ones and one large one. Tim Holtz has some blocks, but they're very thin- I don't know how people use those- I have to use the thick acrylic blocks so I can hold onto/control it easier.

The stamping ink that I use the most, for regular stamping, is a large pad of black Archival Ink from Ranger. I have the really big pad, and it's nice that it is bigger than my biggest 'card size' stamps. I have a few Memento pads (in standard ink pad sizes) in other colors- brown, blue, etc, but find I use the regular black Archival 99% of the time. I recommend it. Also, it is permanent- so you can go back over it with Distress Inks to color, if you want.

Have you watched any of Tim Holtz's videos? That's what really got me into the inks. I love the 'wrinkle free distress' technique. So so cool.

-kory

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to designguyKORY

Thanks for the information Kory... I'll look into the inks you told me about

Justie

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I use Stampin' Up ink for my normal inking. I have had great success using SU inks. I love Tim Holtz inks as well but I use them for distressing. I have never had good results stamping with TH inks. Others have but I have not.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to binkiemonstermom

Yeah I bought the Ranger archival black Ink. Going to try that with Tim Holtz's Road Trip stamps. See how it turns out. I have some ideas for the stamps. I have some color penicls that if you wet it with some water it'll turn to a watercolor affect. So going to try that with the ink and stamps. See what I can come up with.

Justie

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics