Username Post: Embossing        (Topic#1579613)
thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8

Just our of curiosity what are your favortie embossing tools and why? Is there anything that you feel that you must have in order to complete an embossing project?

Edited by thehappyscrapper8 on 08-10-12 07:26 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to thehappyscrapper8

dry or wet embossing? I love my Tim Holtz embossing folders,,and I want to try the new spellbinders double embossing folders too!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

Wet embossing obviously needs a heat gun. I use the Tim Holtz Perfect Medium pens. I use the thin tip often to highlight parts of my design, then add the embossing powder. Works great. I also really like the look of the Ranger Holographic embossing powder, especially for winter designs. Many who have much more experience than me, recommend various brands of glue and powder. I've been happy with what I have from Tim Holtz.

I'm not finding the pens or the holographic powder in the sb store. I bought them at Mike's or J's.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to mrsdriver5

I will say I was not a huge wet embossing fan. I had bought some cheap embossing powder at CKC one year. I really didn't "get it". Then I tried some Stampin' Up embossing powder...wow...what a difference!!!! It melting like a dream and looked wonderful! I am now embossing anything that sits still!!!!! Children beware!!!! LOL!!!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to binkiemonstermom

LOL I was more curious about favorite wet embossing tools. Thank you for your feedback. All these years of scrapbooking and I never really got into embossing.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-11-12 06:54 PM

I haven't tried Stampin' Up ... but Lindy's embossing powders are the absolute bomb!!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

The "must haves" are a heat tool, embossing powder and ink.

The brands of each are personal preference. I have a Ranger heat gun and a Marvy one.

I've only ever used Ranger powders, but am looking forward to trying the Lindys because of their cool looking blends.

There are several brands of specific embossing ink pads and pens, but you can also use slow drying ink (unlike dye inks that dry quickly, most pigment pads are slow drying). Distress inks, although dye inks, have more open time, so you can emboss with them, too.

You could get a clear embossing powder and use a colored ink to get you started with minimal cost, just to see if you like it enough to want (need?!) more colors.

Have fun with it....its like magic when the powder melts!! I love it!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to Kim222

Thanks everybody for the tips I guess I am going to be being a heat gun fairly soon!!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• binkiemonstermom Said:
I will say I was not a huge wet embossing fan. I had bought some cheap embossing powder at CKC one year. I really didn't "get it". Then I tried some Stampin' Up embossing powder...wow...what a difference!!!! It melting like a dream and looked wonderful! I am now embossing anything that sits still!!!!! Children beware!!!! LOL!!!

when was the last time you saw a child sit still?

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to CommaHolly

Versamark and Zing and Ranger Superfine Clear. I do love that Ranger Holographic too...

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to traceyjean

Moving children could be targets as well!!! LOL!!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8

Lol moving children could definitely be moving targets!!! I really appreciate the advice. I will post my first heat embossing attempt for you all to see!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics