Username Post: Burlap in Cardmaking?        (Topic#1579697)
fibromom1
Tenant
fibromom1

Do you have any ideas for the use of burlap? I originally bought YARDS of it to decorate my African-theme bedroom but now have lost the vision and can't figure out what to do with it.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to fibromom1

I've seen tons of it,,,,,,,made into flowers,,,used to mat an image with,,,,cut into strips and bows made with it,,,,,,,it's great for old fashioned or primitive christmas cards,,,,,google handmade cards with burlap and go to images,,,I bet you'll find some!

lori1963
Veteran
lori1963
In response to CommaHolly

Burlap Rosettes are very easy to do & lovely on cards, scrapbooking,pillows,clot hing, hair bows,etc. There are tons of sites ,including youtube showing how to make them with Burlap. Enjoy :))

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to lori1963

You can cut shapes out of it to use - Canvas Corp sells these.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to Here Kitty

I made Thanksgiving cards with some burlap. I used it for a scarecrow's hat as he stood in a field, Native American clothes of a group of people celebrating together and also as background for mountains. Sorry no pics, but it was very simple and I liked the results.
Don't know if you have children but my Mom made me an Indian Maiden dress when I was little for a play and then she made my brother a Huck Finn style hat for Halloween which was sewn also. I have also seen Fall type table decorations with some artificial vegetables and a piece of burlap wrapped around them like a simple bowl. Short enough so people can see each across the table but large enough to make a decorative statement depending what you use...I saw some with ribbons folded through it and others with sparkles added. Then when the decoration was not needed any more put the vegies away and fold up the burlap for another project.
So just a few more ideas.

New Kid On the Block
In response to catzscrapper

Burlap is great for fall cards....you can use it like you would ribbon too....all the other suggestions by the ladies above are great too!

Diva
In response to scrapaway1

So many great ideas! I love Burlap..dont ask me why, but I am going to try some of your ideas!

simplycrafty
Veteran
simplycrafty
In response to bayamonesa1

You can also mist it so you can change it's colors to match your paper theme. If you put alcohol or distress inks on it you then can wet it to have a distressed look.

KristisPaperCreations
Tenant
KristisPaperCreations
In response to simplycrafty

Go check out Pinterest, do a search for burlap cards. I'm sure there are lots of ideas there!

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to KristisPaperCreations

What is burlap?...I see it around so much but I dont know what it is....

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to TheCharmedOne

It's just a type of rough fabric - the kind used in the products linked above.

ValandTim
Expert
ValandTim
In response to Here Kitty

I saw a pin on pinterest where someone ran it through their printer! It was really neat!

http://www.domestically-speaking.com/2010/09/burlap-lau... Check it out!

ScrapbookingJunkie
Tenant
ScrapbookingJunkie
In response to ValandTim

Its all about Burlap this year! I have used it in most of my fall cards instead of standard ribbon. It can be used as decor on pumpkins and other fall decorations. I love it!

www.kristinclosetomyheart.blogspot.com

6ta
6ta 
Pro
6ta
  • 6ta on 10-12-12 05:43 AM
In response to ScrapbookingJunkie

I saw a wreath made of burlap....very cute...
have fun with it..

New Kid On the Block
In response to fibromom1

Hi. Got a cellar? Nail or staple the burlap to the ceiling or walls! Or make a garage into a man cave...with burlap stapled to the wood walls.
Making cards with it would be cool but too much if you have yards...use it in another place in your house.
Debra Burke

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics