Username Post: magnolia stamp question        (Topic#1579729)
Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

I am wanting to buy some magnolia stamps. had my eye on them for awhile but I need some help or some advice.

Heres my question.

For card making which is better the regular magnolia stamps or the mini magnolia stamps? I;ve looked at both and seen measurements but for some reason i cant visualize if it would be too small or way to big for card making.

I hope that made sense.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Briannasmom

I've had the same question, Mandi, and it's the reason I never bought any,,,,,hopefully, there will be some great answers!

lstory 
Mayor
In response to CommaHolly

The minis are tiny - like 1.5 inches tall. If you want the stamped image to be the focal point of the card, you'd probably want to get the regular-size (more expensive!) ones. I'm not a major fan of Magnolias but their selection is really impressive. There's a stamp for every mood, occasion, hobby, weather scenario, activity - you name it, they have it.

Resident
In response to lstory

I use the reg. size ones on my cards

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom
In response to must_love_paper

what size cards do you make must love paper?

Resident

alll sizes 4.5 x 5 5x7 5 and 6 inch square

law
law 
Veteran
law
  • law on 08-20-12 03:05 PM
In response to must_love_paper

I have the regular envelope and card sets i get at m's, I think it's a standard size, anyway i have the regular sized magnolia stamps and they are ok, you have to turn the card sideways to put for example the park snow scene, and the two skaters on the card. I think i have one in my gallery. they are not all the same size ex) the sitting ones are a little skinnier and shorter than the standing ones. You would have to decide on what you want to do with them. And look at the sizes. I was thinking about getting some of the smaller ones . they are a little pricey and i have found some people don't like them because they don't have noses and mouths. I think that's silly but it creeps some people out. hope this helps.

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom
In response to law

yes they are pricey so i dont want to buy a bunch then hate the size.
and i think they are just adorable.
I know c.c designs has similar stamps as well.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

I use the regular sized Magnolia stamps. I dont really care much for the mini's. They are too small for me. The regular stamps can be used in so many different ways, you can even use just the face as a label or as detailing. Its all in the technique. I use them mostly on cards and the cards are usually about 6x6 inches or bigger. When you use a small card, it kinda takes up the whole card. You can either cut the stamped image out around the edges or use a diecutting to leave white space around it.
I usually stamp on white correspondence cards but I have also tried them on DCWV cardstocks with copic markers. That works good too but have to be gentle when colouring.
Magnolia also has a lot of text stamps but also lots of extra things for the lil dollies to sit on. There are stamps to create a whole background but also stamps that are meant as a tag.
Its so much fun. Once you start, you'll be hooked.
Do look/think if you gonna use the stamp more than once. Its easy to get carried away with Magonlia and ending up with stamps that never leave the wrapping. I have a few of those lol
I am now more selective in buying them.

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom
In response to TheCharmedOne

thank you so much for the tip on looking and thinking if I;m gonna use it more then once. I was looking and my list grew and GREW dh looked at me like i has nuts when i showed him my list. ekk. will look again and i think narrow down my list to a select few.

whats a good mascaline one for male birthday cards?? any ideas?

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

Magnolia has also different cars but also an Edwin that is fishing, Edwin with a guitar, Edwin with a Lizard around his neck, a soccer Edwin, Edwin in suit. There are a few around. I find eBay very resourcefull when I want to browse the Magnolia stamps. The boy is called Edwin and the girl is called Tilda. This may help in your search.

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

thanks. didnt think to look on ebay to just browse. i was looking on their site and i got annoyed looking in each section then forgetting which section i was in lol

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

yes...I know what you mean...I find their site both beautiful but confusing. They have a section for retailers and a section for customers. One would expect that Magnolia.nu would have all the stamps ever made in their gallery of some sort so that you can check which is which. There are a lot of stamps missing in their archive. Still now I find stamps of Magnolia, that I cant find on the Magnolia.nu site. That frustrates me..
eBay is a good source, also cause it changes a lot and most have the name of the stamp in their description. I also browse on a Dutch auction site for 2nd hand Magnolia stamps. I managed to get a few that I didnt know they exsisted lol

I can now put Edwin with Guitar on a tree stump (not the treelog)...it has moss on it and the roots are showing. Together with a campfire stamp and tree stamps, one can create a typical camping image...

If you have any questions about Magnolia stamping and techniques, you can always inbox me or ask here. I do masking aswell which is cool and add text to label stamps. Use different papers/cardstocks than others might use. Also, I colour with both colourpencils and copics.

Its fun to see others being busy with Magnolia aswell. They are sooo darn cute! lol

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

I'm terrified of copics so thats on my lists of wants but magnolias have been for a long time lol.

the tree stump with moss sounds amazing!!

I know right they are so darn cute love it.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

lol Copics are like regular markers but alcohol based, really nothing to be terrified about. I do know what you mean tho, it took me a while before I got into them. Now I love them. There are a few colours that are good to have as a basis, especially if you would buy them with the intention of colouring Magnolia with them.

The tree stump I bumped into by mistake actually, the lady who sold it, didnt list it as Magnolia but when I asked her, she said it is Magnolia and it has the lil mark aswell. It's gorgeous! Havent gotten around to use it yet tho, I need to find a few good sized Magnolia trees. I only got mini trees.

I love the Christmas collections and the Prince&Princesses collection. Anything cute basically lolol

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

nothing to be scared about with copics,,,,even a beginner can get a decent look with them,,,,,practice is key,,,,,but honestly with just a bit of practice, you can pull off a nicely colored image,,,,,some things like pleats, well that takes longer,,,,,but you can still do a nice job even with just a bit of practice.

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

I see so many beautful pieces colored with copics Holly hun that includes you. all the shadowing and light and dark mixing blah cant do it no way no how lol.
I have prismas and gamsol and I'm slowly getting the hang of coloring with them and i love those. FAB pencils.

I agree so many cute stamps very HARD to pick just a few that i would REALLY use. I was thinking 2 for school, 2 christmas, 2 edwins, 2 Tilda's

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

prismacolor pencils is also another great option,,,,,I love them, and use them sometimes instead of copics,,,,,or WITH copics!

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

I know I for sure want more prismas

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

the shadowing is done with the grey tones of copics. or when you use light colours, you can go over it with same colour to create a darker area. I reckon if you could try them somewhere at a craft shop, during a introduction or something, you probably fall in love with them.
I know what you mean tho, I didnt get copics for the longest time but I finally fell for them. Now I love them.

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

I tried to get a demo and color with them myself at archivers but the lady was kinda rude. she colored in a stamped image was like here ya can use this one and then this and it creates this shadow lighter and darker colors blah blah blah. I asked if I can try them out cause i was thinking on getting some but dont want to dump money into if they will sit and HUGE waste for me she said oh no copics we dont let customers color with them. no other craft store by me unless you count M;s adn J;s

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

Overhere we have Copic instructors who have workshops that will teach you how to use them. You can use their Copics, the use of Copics are usually reflected in the workshops price. They will charge the time being there and the use of Copics. I never been to one tho but this is how they explain in their adverts. I reckon such workshops are available there too. Perhaps, search some on the net near by.... Or if you have a friend who does have Copics, maybe they can explain and let you use the Copics with their guidance.

I do know what you mean tho, me mum had a workshop and she bought a few Copics, I was hesitant at first, until she had more colours. Then I got into them and now I love them. Must say tho, I dont use them every single day but they are there when I need tho. Copics can be used in more way than just colouring. They also work great on glass, plastic, paint ect. Me mum uses them as glass markers aswell.

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

wow on glass thats awesome!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

copics are wonderful for coloring bling or pearls,,,I only buy white/clear now and color my own!

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

i"ve seen that done as well as with the alcohol inks too

cricketscreations
Expert
cricketscreations

I have both but find myself using the regular size more because they are easier to color than the minis.

Cricket
http://www.cricketscreations2010.blogspot.com

Edited by cricketscreations on 09-03-12 10:48 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics