Username Post: Photos        (Topic#1579749)
justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

Hi my family has a alot of photos they took over the years. Since we always put our photos in storage bins in our basements. The photos seem ok. But was reading article online tonight. About protecting your photos. I also try to put them in some kind of photo album weather it be samll one or big one. But after reading the article it says not to put in the basement because of tempature and mice or insects getting to them. Well we have ours in the basement in a couple of storage binds. Since we haven't got alot of room to put things. One time we were cleaning out stuff in the basement and my parents and I came arcoss photos that did not fade or surffer any damage. We still have some in a closet in the basement and the another day. I look at them and all of them seem like in good caution and not fading. Even the old photo album my dad made of all the photos he took in the 1980s are fine. I even found couple old photos of me as a little guy during my perschool days the other day. It was in a envelope with my name on it. The pictures are in good caution can still see the people in it has not turn all yellow or worn. They were in a old cardboard box with some papers my parents kept. I was just wondering because most people don't have alot of room in their house and the basement is like a storage area for most. Like my family. Plus, we now have all my grandmothers photos. We had them up here in my room but since I have such a small room. I decided to put all grandma's photos in a storge bin I got from wal mart and put them in the basement in the room I plan on moving down in that my dad build few years back. To give me some more space. Sorry if it sounds stupid but just wondering where all of you store your family photos if you don't have room?

Justie

Edited by justartguy007 on 08-15-12 08:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to justartguy007

What I have not scrapbooked are in one of those big trunks in my closet. My basement gets damp, so I try not to store anything that could get damaged by damp air. Everything in my basement is in plastic storage tubs, which are then stacked up on palettes. I'm scared the damp air would still hurt my pictures, so I have them stored in the little cardboard photo envelopes, which are then put down inside a trunk (sort of like the army footlocker style). The trunk is on the floor of the closet in my spare room.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to siameseplease

Thanks for replying, part of our basement doesn't seem to get damp. We have old carpet that keep up pretty well down there. We also keep most of our extra food down there too, We have a machine down that help keep the air from get mody or damp in a sense. The house we are living in back in the day. The basement use to be a bait shop. I guess that why it not so damp and mist down there.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to justartguy007

I store mine in acid free boxes in the closet. I'm also working on scanning all of them just in case the unthinkable happens.

Veteran
In response to photo_chick

PC, instead of scanning, have you thought about simply photographing the old pictures? With a good setup the quality will be as good as a scanner and much much faster.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to GeraldFagan

Yeah I scan most of photos I borrowed from my grandmother. But then a year later all of them are here at the house, lol. I had extra picture photo album pockets. So I took some out of the plastic bag my grandma had and store them in that. I plan on getting I think it called the Hopper Chopper photo case where I can store all 4x6 photos and on the other side of the box my bigger 8x10 or 5x7 photos. I'm also think of getting a acid free box to not sure. But know I'm going to buy some more photo albums. Thanks for the tip ladies.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to GeraldFagan

• GeraldFagan Said:
PC, instead of scanning, have you thought about simply photographing the old pictures? With a good setup the quality will be as good as a scanner and much much faster.

I think it depends on the end result you want. If you're just wanting a digital copy then a copy stand setup can be a great solution. But I end up making a lot of prints that are larger than the originals and scanning, with good quality scanner at the right settings, will give me a higher resolution image than my DSLR is capable of. I'm also taking many images into photoshop and working with it so for me the scan time is negligible compared to what I spend doing to each image I want to print from.

And yes, I realize I end up making prints of the prints I just scanned. LOL

Edited by photo_chick on 08-19-12 10:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics