Username Post: Can anyone suggest great Christmas backdrops?        (Topic#1579773)
Veteran

Ive been looking all around and so far I have not been impressed with the Christmas backgrounds out there.

I plan on doing a toys for tots fundraiser/discounted portrait session and I need something for next month.

Most of the ones ive seen have looked to cheesy, to fake, to cartoony or to weird.

I just want a classy looking fireplace/tree scene. At the very least a classy tree.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to GeraldFagan

I agree. Last year I bought enough Christmas stuff to last me half a lifetime - I just loved it all, especially Bo Bunny. But none of the CHA Christmas stuff has really pressed my buttons this year.

Have you checked out Bo Bunny and Basic Grey in the Superstore? Their papers are usually more classic than twee.

Here are links to the papers I feel in love with in the last couple of years. (I'm excited they have Midnight Frost back in stock!) I know the Noel Collection has some nice background scenes, if that's what you have in mind.

Hope this helps?

Pookahbot
Governor
Pookahbot
In response to RedSquirrel

I've worked for a full-service studio for 11 years now, and I've yet to find a holiday background I like--I agree, they're cheesy. We usually set something up on plain white with simple props (like a real tree--decorated or not--, or we have this cool old-fashioned sled; sometimes even "snow"--white tulle--and some nicely wrapped packages). I'm fortunate to have a pretty large studio, though, and we don't go for backgrounds so much as sets--most of ours are built and not pull-downs. We made our fireplace set by buying an inexpensive mantle on clearance; we built bookshelves on both sides and used molding/trim to make it a little more fancy. The books were picked up from yard sales (old encyclopedias, etc). Ours is painted white, but you could definitely stain or paint darker, too.

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to Pookahbot

Yeah, I was going to suggest also that you may have to just make your own. You can buy stuff pretty cheap at a place like HL or M's and make it suit your needs. A little paint, or glitter, or decorations, and you can make it your own! Good luck and I hope you find something that will work for you.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to Babylou

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but does anyone out side of Sears Portrait Studios actually use the picture backdrops anymore?

Candy Sticks and Candy canvas have some that are realistic. The Candy Sticks not traditional backgrounds, but huge wall clings. Which can be good or bad, depending on your setup.

Veteran
In response to photo_chick

Thanks for the links Squirrel! But I dont think those are backgrounds for portraits?

PC, I know what you mean, but I just dont have the space to setup a dedicated Christmas area. The last two years I used a second room in the hair salon that I rent a space from to put up a real tree and decorate the room, but its a pain having to move the strobes across the building to use it. Plus this year the owner is hoping to rent that room out. I dont do a ton of Christmas portraits so its not worth paying the rent on it. Plus I really dont want to move three big strobes across the building back and forth.

And the part of the country im in doesnt get a ton of snow most of the time. Last year it only snowed like 4 times and that was in January or February, so my preferred method of doing outside shots isnt really practical.

Plus sears and walmart make a killing at Christmas time with the cheesy Christmas backgrounds. If it wasnt for Christmas these studios would not exist.

I have scheduled a Christmas in September special where people bring in a toy for toys for tots and they will save $135 and get two dozen Christmas cards *with my studio name* and a mini portrait session. So basically I need something to plop the kids down in front of, take 10 different pictures and let the parents decide what 2 to 4 pictures they want on their cards and hopefully get some upsales.

I ended up getting one off of ebay, coming in from China, which is a bit ironic since Christianity is illegal there or something like that. Its a 10x10 for $50, I dont expect much other than something useful if I have to use it. I do like the design though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221106616687?ssPa geName=STRK:ME...

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to GeraldFagan

Just found these. Now that it's too late!

http://store.scrapbook.com/sug-su83.html

I'm glad you found what you wanted. I was misunderstanding exactly what you meant - apologies.

Veteran
In response to RedSquirrel

Thanks for the link.

I am now trying to find two new drops for models/beauty portraits. My budget is $300 for this so hopefully I can get in on a dennymfg.com sale for 6x8's.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics