Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Cricut vs. Sizzix        (Topic#1579813)
Katydidd
Veteran
Katydidd

I've been an advocate for the cricut for many years. Ever since I recieved an expression for Christmas from my now husband. However recently I have been thinking about about purchasing a Sizzex. Mainly because of the cost of the cricut cartridges. But I don't know much if anything about the Sizzix. What are the pros and cons? What other things do I have to purchase for the Sizzix besides the dies? What do other scrapers prefer? Cricut or Sizzix? I really appreciate the input thanks y'all!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Katydidd

I have a Cricut and just purchased a Big Shot.

I already use my Cricut (not enough) and my Slice but the Big Shot is going to be a nice addition to my tools.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to Henri Jean

The sizzix is great to have but the dies really add up. Even getting them with a coupon you'd still be paying at least $10 per die. Also, is the selection of the dies what you are looking for? For me, the only plus to the sizzix is that it cuts chipboard very easily and it cuts very clean. I would not compare the two, they each have their place. If I had to choose,it would be the Cricut.

lynev 
Tenant
  • lynev on 08-18-12 10:16 PM
In response to ChansGram

Have a look at the new EBosser that is coming out very soon. This elecrically operated Die Cutting machine claims to be able to cut most brand dies.
Don't know why they have called it the EBosser as it gives the impression that it can only be used for embossing. This is not the case as it Die Cuts as well. Have a look on YouTube for some demos.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to lynev

I have a Cuttlebug (manual die cutter and embosser) and a Silhouette (electronic digital cutter). Both get used, but the Cuttlebug far more. They have different uses - each has its place on my desk, and I wouldn't be without either of them.

For any manual die cutting/embossing machine you will need dies (which can't be resized in the same way that the Cricut can resize its shapes) and embossing folders, which of course cost and need to be stored the same as Cricut cartridges do.

One good thing is that nearly all dies and folders from other companies will fit the Big Shot. I think there are a few dies which are too big for it - you'll have to check the sizes - but not enough to worry about.

I say go for it and have fun!

Resident
In response to RedSquirrel

I love my vagabong (sizzix machine) but really look into first if the cost of the carts are getting you down you can pay 20-65 dollars for ONE DIE... so make sure you do your homework before you buy it thinking its less expensive...

now onto the cool part (I am a die cutting machine junkie with a cricut, sihouette cameo, accucut grandemark, and a vagabond) The real cool part in the sizzix is the fact that you can get folders and dry emboss with the machine as well, you can also make your own embossing folders and do other cool techniques with the machine once you loose your fear of shoving stuff through it lol

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to must_love_paper

The dies are really expensive and you don't get much for variety. The Cricut is a much better value. I have both. I have been known to buy a die only to find out I have a similar one on my Cricut. I think Tim Holtz has a marketing staff of brilliant people (or Sizzix does). They always make dies dies look amazing on the packaging and then you get it home and it takes an hour to make it look half as good.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

The cricut and the sizzix (including Big Shot, Cuttlebug, etc.) are two very different animals. The cricut is an electronic machine that works with cartridges. Each cartridge includes several dozen and up to 700 different images, each of which can be resized. The others are manual die-cutting and embossing machines. They use fixed dies or folders that cannot be resized. Some of those dies are no less expensive than the cricut cartridges.

I have both the cricut expression and the Cuttlebug. The cricut takes up more room and requires a mat. It does not do embossing. Many of the carts can be purchased on ebay for around $20 each. The Cuttlebug is a lot smaller and handier. Sizzix alphabet sets (that also work with the Cuttlebug) are more expensive than the cricut font cartidges, take up a lot more space, and are not resizeable. However, they are very handy to use with a small manual machine.

Each type of machine has its pluses and minuses. You may want one of each -- the cricut (which you already have) and one of the manual die-cutting/embossing machines. I suggest you research each of the manual machines to see which one will best suit your purposes.

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to 950nancy

I have both a Cricut Expression and Big Shot. Love my Cricut and wouldn't trade it for anything. I purchased my Big Shot mainly for the embossing, although I have a few dies for it. Either way they are great products.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to shortmouse

I have both a Cricut (purchased in 2009) and a BigKick (purchased in 2008, though I had been using the old big red one since 2004 or so), and I love them both.

writerlady
Expert
writerlady

I have a Big Shot, an Expression and a Silhouette Cameo. I would keep the Cameo and the Big Shot. One thing to consider is that you can use all other company's dies in the Big Shot. My local craft stores have one of the brand name's dies on sale every week or so. I picked up 2 wonderful Spellbinders die sets yesterday for 10 bucks each. I know that Sizzix is coming out with bunches of "nesting" dies and thin dies, which are quite easy to store, and they don't take up much room. If you like to make cards or mini books, these are wonderful. Good luck!

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to writerlady

I had a Sizzix and decided to buy myself the Cricut E2 when it was on sale this past winter. I like being able to adjust the size of the image, cutting multiple images at once, the ease of storing cartridges and all the choices on one cart. I buy my cartridges on eBay and other sites for considerably less. I haven't paid more than $30 for any cartridge I have.

I didn't care for the sizzix because it was heavy and hard to bring to crops. It takes longer to do something (for me), especially when doing a title or something with words. I also "inherited" a bunch of dies when I bought the sizzix from a friend. It was SOOO much. I didn't have the room to store it and it was too have to bring to crops. ETA: I had the original Sizzix machine.

That's just my 2 cents.

Edited by MrsD2008 on 08-19-12 07:42 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Resident
In response to MrsD2008

I think the only dies that a bigshot/cuttlebug/bigkick /vagabond wont do are the real large spellbinders the dies for the bigshot pro and the accucut dies if I remember correctly

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

I bought the original "Big Red" Sizzix and I love it, but I eventually bought the Cricut because it's a much better value. I've never paid full price for a cartridge. For about $30, I can get 3-4 Sixxiz dies, or dozens of Cricut images (that I can further maximize by changing the size, flipping the image, welding, etc.). I think the Cricut is the better value, but I enjoy both of my purchases.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Luvmyfam

I have the cricut E, a big shot, and a cuttlebug. It's not really a "which" one between the E and the other two, because they have entirely different uses. I have had the bug for years and bought the big shot because I had bought the TH wordplay dies, and it was a little too wide for the bug. I have since put the bug up and only use the big shot. I love it. It's so much sturdier and holds still when you put dies thru it. But it does take up more space. I can cut chipboard with the big shot and emboss, which the E just can't do. I can cut something with my E, then emboss it with the big shot.

Resident
In response to SherylEb

but then you can go into the value of the cricut and then cameo... where I can buy a year subscription and get 150 dollars worth of downloads a month and pick and choose just the images I would like to have to cut most images are 99 cent... then you can pay more if you plan to use the file for more then just personal use ie in kits and stuff... i love my cameo my poor cricut gets ignored... that machine is so sad

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.

it would be like comparing apples and oranges...each of them do entirely different things. I have the Cricut Expression, the Big Shot as well as the Grande Calibur for the Grande Spellbinder dies. I like being able to both cut and emboss with the Big Shot and Grande Calibur. The advantage to the Cricut is you can resize things and weld letters together using the Cricut Craft Room. Though you do have to buy the cartridges for it. Good luck with your decision

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to SandraB.

I started with sizzix a LONG time ago. I have THOUSANDS of dollars worth of dies that cut ONE SIZE.

I got a cricut and LOVE it. I can cut lots of shapes in any size I want.

Each machine has pluses and minuses.

IMO, the cartridges are cheaper than the dies and you get more versatility.

Personally, when my cricut dies, I plan to get a cameo or gazelle. I like being able to use my own shapes (I was one of the lucky ones to get SCAL when it was able to be used on a cricut) and not be tied to specific sizes/shapes.

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to SandraB.

While on the subject has anyone figured out how to extend the life of the Cricut cutting mats. I use 12x24 it may cost a little more but it's like getting 4 12x12's. I still go through them fast as I use my Cricut just about every other day.

Resident

you can wash them and let them dry that usually helps extend their life... if your warrantee is up on your cricut you can spray them or use a 2 way glue pen, make sure its repositionable adhesive

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics