Page 2 of 3 
Username Post: Cricut vs. Sizzix        (Topic#1579813)
Katydidd
Veteran
Katydidd
In response to must_love_paper

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and input on the matter. I love how supportive and honest our scrap community is. Thank you ladies!

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

I just have the little red sizzix sidekick and a cricut create and the cricut expression.

I haven't used the sizzix sidekick since I first bought the create. Then I finally bought the expression cause the create was still to limiting on size for me.

No more dies for me as I don't have the room and dies are once size. Size is the main issue for me. I want to be able to cut whatever size I want.

I get most all of my carts on ebay so it's cheaper than buying them in a store.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Cindyckj

The reason I love the big shot is because it not only embosses paper and foil etc, but it will cut chipboard, fun foam, veneer, thin metal, sponge, magnet, fabric, cork etc etc etc.

And--I still have "big red" because nothing flattens bottle caps better

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
The reason I love the big shot is because it not only embosses paper and foil etc, but it will cut chipboard, fun foam, veneer, thin metal, sponge, magnet, fabric, cork etc etc etc.

And here I was thinking I was the brilliant one who came up with that one! it is amazing at smashing stuff!

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to Seaexplore

Hmmm,

Completely unrelated tool but you got me thinking.

I have the Quickutz Squeeze that I no longer use. I imagine I could crush a bottle cap with it. Must find a cap and try it out.

lol

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I have the Cricut Expression, the Big Kick, and the Spellbinders Grand Calibur,,,,

I honestly probably USE my Grand Calibur more,,,,but if I could only have one and if price were an issue,,,,,I'd go with the cricut,,,,,,

for 30 bucks or less, I can have a cartridge that will cut hundreds of die cuts at thousands of sizes,,,,,,

for 30 bucks I can have about 2 spellbinders die sets that will cut 2 shapes at about 5 different sizes.

there's no comparison if I could only have one.

timon
timon 
Veteran
timon
  • timon on 08-20-12 04:46 PM

I have 2 cricuts and a vagabond. i love both. to me the sizzix dies are cheaper, unless you also start buying other brands of dies to use with it. what i like about my cricut is that I can choose the size of the cut i want, i can download the carts to my craftroom and work with them that way also. a lot of options. both are great to me!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Seaexplore

• Seaexplore Said:
  • Kim222 Said:

And here I was thinking I was the brilliant one who came up with that one! it is amazing at smashing stuff!

we can both be brilliant!!!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to corrie fan

• corrie fan Said:
Hmmm,

Completely unrelated tool but you got me thinking.

I have the Quickutz Squeeze that I no longer use. I imagine I could crush a bottle cap with it. Must find a cap and try it out.

lol

Can't imagine that it wouldn't. Try it and report back! Then you can be brilliant, too

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to Kim222

I have a Cricut Expression and a Cuttlebug. I love my Cricut because when I make invitations I can cut out mass quantities of an object without the fuss of having to do them one by one. I love my Cuttlebug for the embossing.

I want to try the smashing technique of bottle caps now!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to pamela.tx

I've had success flattening bottle caps with my Big Shot, though it took some playing around with the sandwich to get it exactly right.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
I've had success flattening bottle caps with my Big Shot, though it took some playing around with the sandwich to get it exactly right.

No kidding?! Did you use the clear cutting plates against the cap? If so, did it leave deep gouges in the plate?

I was smashing stuff in "big red" long before I got a Big Shot, so I never thought to try it with that.

Just wondering if it would really mess up the plates.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Kim222

Honestly, I think I did it against the multi-purpose platform. And it did leave gouges, nothing severe. But you could always do it with the sharper edges toward the cutting plate if you're worried about messing up the platform. I think the sandwich was just the platform (can't remember which tab), the cap, and a single clear plate. It turned out much better than the time I took a sledgehammer to bottlecaps on my garage floor.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to aquabunny

I've used my Cuttlebug to flatten bottle caps too. Looks cool!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to RedSquirrel UK

My poor little cuttlebug groans when I use him following the directions. I'd be scared to try something like that...Hmmm, but if I find the right bottle cap...

Melonhead
Tenant
Melonhead
In response to mrsdriver5

I was on the fence about this, but I caved in and ordered a Big Shot and 2 embossing folders this afternoon.

Now,I have to decide what dies are necessary. (I have a Slice, but I'm going to wear out a couple of shapes I do all the time!)

New Kid On the Block

I LOVE my Big Shot. I did have the original Cricut and i didn't like it so i returned it.

I am a die fanatic. I love dies. Theres so many great companies out there. The prices do range from a $1.00 and up. You could always try browsing the different die companies and see if you find some dies you would like to own.

My favorites are Cottage Cutz, Quickutz, and Lifestyle Crafts ( the new quickutz company).

Plus i love when stamp companies come out with coordinating dies with there stamp and i know i can use them with my machine.

Edited by peanut0325 on 08-22-12 06:36 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

elizabeth_C
Veteran
elizabeth_C
In response to pamela.tx

I have no idea what I want but I do want to purchase something to scrapbook with. There are just so many products to choose from.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to elizabeth_C

I spent part of Sunday afternoon at Bonnie's house (sbartist) and we played a lot with her Cuttlebug and dies and now I can't wait to get home and play with my new Big Shot.

She really inspired me. She has a huge collection of dies - she has dies for everything. Embossing folders too. I never realized how much I could do with them and now I'm going to really have fun with mine!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to elizabeth_C

I don't go to crops, but some have mentioned that stores like Mike's have machines/tools that you can use at their crops. I know ours has demos of cricuts and other machines. The LSS I've gone to also has machines to use, so maybe you could check out some of the machines and see what feels comfortable to you.

My main reason for liking the cuttlebug is that it's small. I keep it at my feet and it's quick to use. My creatopia, cricut and cameo are bigger to move into place. OK, now you all know...I'm a lazy, wimpy scrapper :>) ~Judy

Page 2 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics