Username Post: New to Scrapbooking, Travel Scrapbooking        (Topic#1579885)
New Kid On the Block

Hey all I am new and a brand new scrapbooker. I will freely admit that I am not very creative or artistic, but my husband and I love going on trips and I would like a way to better save the memories from those trips. We recently got back from our last trip and I have tons of pictures, ticket stubs, postcards, etc, that I would like to organize into a scrapbook. I went to Michael's today and looked at supplies (there was so much stuff!!) and I have to say it was a little overwhelming.

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to ChristineN

I understand how you can feel overwhelmed at the beginning. I would suggest looking at the gallery on this website (you can even narrow it to only look at travel layouts) and see what you like, which should help you figure out your style and what to buy for your own album.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Welcome! Mike's has a good supply of travel items, then if you check the super store on this site, you'll find a ton more.

I have a ton of travel pics also & it can be overwhelming. Can you pick one trip w/o a lot of states, so you can buy things for one area...like NV/Vegas? As you add areas, you'll know what you like to use and you'll probably have some things leftover that you can use for another trip.

My tip would be to buy what you'd like to use for one or two pages, then add to your supplies as you go along. There are so many techniques, so many embellishments...and everyone likes different things. You won't know for sure what you like until you start using them. Maybe try a new technique every few pages.

Look through the gallery. You can filter it by Travel, and even into locations. For example, go to the gallery, put Tennessee in the search and you'll find LOs for TN to give you some inspiration.

Have fun getting ideas, then "do your own thing" and have fun!~Judy

New Kid On the Block
In response to mrsdriver5

Thanks for the gallery idea. There are tons of layouts from Ireland!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Christine - please tell me more about your scrapping and I may be able to answer your questions a little bit more.

My husband and I travel a lot too and I scrap it all.

I scrap every piece of memorabilia and every picture that turns out well and I journal right along with it. If you want to look at my gallery - it is about 95% travel.

To me the key to scrapping trips well is organizing the entire trip and preparing for it. Then it is not at all overwhelming but if I don't do that, I get overwhelmed.

Where was your trip and how long?

When I get home from a trip (some of out overseas trips are 4 months and we are in Hawaii twice a year - I'm here now). I haven't been home in 8 weeks.

WHen I'm on a cruise ship or in hotels or whatever, I journal in one file every night called "trip journal" and I just add the date each day and add to it. Then when I get around to scrapping it when I get home, all the infomraiotn for that page or place is on top, and I just have to edit it. It rambles with what we did, what I felt, research for monuments and buildings and historical people.

When we went to Key West in June for a week I even did a lot of research on Robert the Haunted Doll. And there are so many ticket stubs and so much paper stuff I picked up - take out menus and that kind of thing.

I carry a 12 x 12 holder with a plastic handle that I got from Michaels or one of the box stores. It is about 20 gallon-sized ziplocs in it.

When we travel all my memorabilia goes in the holder.

I use the ziplocs mostly when overseas. Things are printed in Chinese or Japanese or Russian and I have no idea what is from each port or place so I put the things from HOng Kong in one Ziploc, the things from Beijing in another, the things from Bali, Indonesia in another so when I'm scrapping I don't have to try to figure out what country it is from or what city.

Next step to organizing it - I spread out plain old manilla office file folders. I can look at my journaling and see where I was on what date. Sometimes there may be 4 layouts from one date - "Seattle Aquarium" "Seattle King Tut's Exhibit" "Seattle Underground Tour" and "Seattle - Crab Pot for dinner with friends" is an example of many layouts for one day. Those each get their own file folder.

I put on the outside of each one the date and city and event like "Seattle Aquarium".

On top I stack the memorabilia, other souvenirs for the pages, and I look to see what die cuts or embellies I want to use if any. If I have a particular paper, like one of the USS Arizona on the patterned paper, it goes on top of that file (even though it is much larger).

When we were on a cruiseship last year for Halloween I put Halloween papers and diecuts on thop of those files.

Acutally, sorting out all my stuff and stacking it ont he files takes less than an hour, even for 4 months trips.

I edit my photos every night in hotels or on cruise ships and put the ones I want to print on a flash so when I get home, I'm ready to go to Walgreens the next day and have my photos printed.

WHen I get them back the day after my trip I go through them and put each photo on top of the file where it belongs. Some files - like the Melbourne, Australia zoo last year had nearly 100 pictures and some only have 2 or 3.

THen I put everything into the file it is sitting on and put it in a file thing on my printer desk.

THen everything is in order. I just grab the file in front and put it together - decide how many pages it is going to be and when finished, I take the next file. The pictures, memorbilia, diecuts and embellies if I'm using any is right there together.

I copy-paste the journaling for that day or event and put it into a word file so I can edit and print it. Takes me no time at all.

Some files are one pages - and I just finished the one on the Melbourne zoo and it was 6 pages so a file does not mean just a one or two page layout. It just means that those things go together.

It took several years to develop the routine and figure out what works for me. Its been used by a lot of other people and they modify my system so it works for them.

It takes all of the overwhelmed out of the equasion.

We will probalby go home from Hawaii to Florida this next weekend. I am sure that before I go to bed that night my files will be set up - right after I unpack and the next day I will have my pictures developed. One time there was 1,800 but I do that right away so I can start sorting and getting ready to scrap.

I hope that helps and answers questions you might have about scrapping trips.

This is my filing system and as you can see, some of the places, like China, I had paper I wanted to use and some I will pick when I work on the file and put the pages together.

Scrapping to be Done By Henri Jean

Here are some examples using memorabilia, pictutures and other things on travel layouts:

Australia Title Page By Henri Jean

Another with a lot of journaling. As you can tell, I love journaling on my scrapbook pages. Even the paper for the journaling was from the cruise ship.

Singapore - Marina Bay Sands 1 By Henri Jean

China - arriving in Beijing - Right By Henri Jean

Incheon, South Korea By Henri Jean

Cruise Day 15 By Henri Jean

Cruise Days 9, 10, 11 & 12 By Henri Jean

Russia By Henri Jean

This one is just a menu I wanted included!

Portland - Fun with Bruce and Jessica By Henri Jean

One with no photo.

A night in Dallas By Henri Jean

Hawaii - At the Big Island Airport By Henri Jean

The background on this one is all Hershey's Kisses foil wrappers from Hawaii - they have a macadamia nut version of Hershey's kisses there. I also used the bag on this on this page.

Hawaii - Big Island - Mauna Loa - Right Side By Henri Jean

Okay - I hope that gives you some ideas.

Sorry to have gone on so long and rambled so much, but I really feel I've got the kinks out of organizing and getting ready to scrap trips.

My pages aren't the best - no where near the top of the league as far as creativity go - so many beautiful layouts in the gallery - but mine suit the need for scrapping our travels and tell the sotry I'm trying to tell about the place, as well as caputure the memories from each trip.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

Noticed in your post above that you were in Ireland. I've never been there (other than the airport while the plane refueled and that doesn't count).

If you go to scrapbook.com Superstore and type in Ireland you should find quite a bit.

My favorite place to go on scrapbook.com (besides the forums) is the tab under the superstore list that says "Cutouts". Those are diecuts and I scroll through all of them every time I come back from a trip becuase there is a lot there I can use for travel layouts, as well as diecuts for almost anywhere I go.

That is what I do first. Then I go to ebay and type in the country or state and scrapbooking. For example, "Ireland scrapbooking" and you may get more ideas.

New Kid On the Block

Henri Jean, wow, thanks for your post. My husband and I took a 9 day trip to Ireland where we rented a car and drove around. We have lots of ticket stubs from tourist things, as well as maps, tons of photos, brochures, and more. Right now I have it all semi together but I know if I don't start organizing it I will start losing it. My goal is to have it done by Christmas to show my husband.

It must be amazing to travel that much!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

My husband is retired military and we take advantagae of the military hops. Also he looks on line every night for cheap cheap cheap cruises and he gets lucky and finds them.

But his being retired military is the big key to traveling like this because we can hop free to almost any country where there is an American military base.

He has been to Ireland and really has wonderful stories about it but I haven't been. We talk about going and I think we will go.

When I first started scrapping the places we went I was so overwhelmed I didn't know what to do. THen I discovered, if I organized the entire trip the way I wanted to scrap it without everything together, it was a lot easier. Now I just grab the next file and its all together.

And I did it while it was all nice and fresh in my mind.

I would love to see your Ireland pages! What a fun trip that would be!

I have a lot of Ireland stuff for pages. I actually buy stuff for places I'd like to go when I see it. I think I have enough Ireland stuff to do an entire trip without buying anything - guess I want to go there pretty badly!

Great to rent a car and drive around. We did Germany that way a couple years ago.

But I know about the amount of ticket stubs that accumulate and I try to work them all in.

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper

i deleted post

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics