Username Post: What kind of cleaner to use on stamps?        (Topic#1579891)
justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

I got my new stamps yesterday, now just playing around with them. I am enjoying them so far. My question what good product out there to keep them clean? I watched some videos online about different cleaners. I would like to know if any are in the stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels? Or do you have to buy them online? I am using a damp wash cloth to clean the ink off and then with a dry paper towel.

My clear stamps pretty much are clean when I lift them from the paper. But do clean them off. But when I use my cling rubber a different story. There still some of the ink still on it. After I clean them off. I know that rubber stamps will still have ink on them. But would like them to stay clean like they were before they were uses. If you guys know where I can pick up some stamp cleaners at my local store please let me know. How much the price for the cleaners?

Justie

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to justartguy007

I use baby wipes,,,cheap, easy, just as good, and readily available,,,,,,,,although you might have to explain to your mother why there are baby wipes in your grocery cart

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to CommaHolly

I saw on some videos that some people use baby wips. Might give them a try. I guess it depends on how much ink I use to. Because I have black Memento tuxedo and Ranger Archivakl Ink. They both can come off my clear stamps. If I use the memento ink it comes off the rubber but the Archival ink sometimes can't come off the rubber stamps.

Justie

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I have used some cleaner that I bought at AC Moores, it cleaned but I didn't like the smell, and it always seemed to choke me. Not sure why. I use a stamp scrubber pad and Stampin Up cleaner. I don't know if it is better than anything else out there but it doesn't choke me!!!! I do like the new Stampin' Up scrubber, it is bigger so that it clean bigger background stamps easier!!!!

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to binkiemonstermom

good luck getting ALL the ink off I don't know many people who manage that,,,,,,most of us who love stamps just believe it's the mark of a well loved stamp

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to binkiemonstermom

Thanks binkimonstermom, I do have a question for you and maybe others can give me some questions? I was wondering where do you store your clear block if you have them. I was trying to find ways to store them. So, finally decided to put them in a plastic bag for now. My larger clear block I put back into the package it came in.

Here my blog I updated it so if anyone wants to read it go ahead. I put some pictures of some of my artwork and my lastest post has some stuff I bought.

http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com/

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

i have a basket labeled BLOCKS AND SPONGES,,,,on a shelf with other baskets that i keep stuff like that in. Inks are in one,,,,beads and pearls in another,,,,,flower making stuff in yet another,,,,christmas and hanukkah embellies in another,,,you get the idea.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

Thanks for the idea CommaHolly, well I don't have a lot of room in my small bedroom. But I know when I move out. I am going to look for a apartment with two bedrooms. So one can be my photography/art room. My mom even told me if you do move out make sure you get a two bedroom. I said why she said it nice to have the extra space. You can have room to put your computer and photgraphy/ art stuff, lol. But still living at home with the parents still. I am starting to work on my heritage album. Just got done laminating all of the old family death notices and articles for it. Tomorrow going to try my best to redo one album I started but never got to finsih. I also have another question I bought the Bo Bunny Et Cetera collection pack with the 6x6 pad paper. But I was stupid not to look to see if they are acid and liegin free. They don't have it lable on their package. But I assume they are since most paper now are photo/document safe. But I have a ph testing pen will test see if it is acid free. I could even email them and ask them?

Justie

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I'd assume Bobunny is acid annd lignen free,,,,,,

I hear you on the space,,,,I'm cramped into a tiny breakfast nook off the kitchen,,,,my only salvation is a huge old UGLY china hutch that's built in,,,,,,,,tons of storage space,,,,,plus I have two book shelves,,,,

I won't get more space until one of MY kids moves out LOL,,,,,,,they are both adults,,,,,and one just finished college, so eventually it will happen LOL

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

Yeah I think my parents wants me and my brother to stay with them, lol... I know my brother probably will but I want to move out. But can't afford it since I don't have a job at the moment. Trying to find one but it hard. Since, I'll be 30 soon and my brother going to be 27 next year. I think it about time to think of moving on out.

I am thinking of buying the cameo on amazon it 268.08 and it comes with 2 matts for paper and a extra blads with something called a "pick up pen" all for free saver shipping. That why I love amazon any product you buy for over 25.00. The shipping is free. It beats silhouettes website price of 299.00! It would cost me maybe more if I wanted a extra blade or matt. I saw the cameo on amazon it comes with a bundle of 2 matts with a extra blades and some other stuff. For only 268.08 and they have it in stock. What you guys think should I buy it on amazon.com. Or waiting and look still? Just want to make sure I get a good machine that all.

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30

I'd say if you got the money and can't wait, go for it! I love amazon and with amazon prime, all shipping is free. Now, if you're in a tight budget and don't mind to wait a little, Oh My Craft is the solution. Silhouette Cameo with extras for $212 shipping included but like I said, still waiting on mine and is almost a month!!!!

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to GIGIGI30

Yeah I am thinking of buying on amazon.com. It said it'll be shipped in 1 to 2 months forgot to look at that. I guess it must be a popular machine. If they don't shipped it until later.

Justie

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

I store my clear blocks in my caddy that SU sells, they fit in their spot if that makes sense. I also keep one in my "work" bag too, just slip it in one of the pockets.

I would say that is a good deal on amazon but sucks on the shipping time!

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx

• justartguy007 Said:
Thanks binkimonstermom, I do have a question for you and maybe others can give me some questions? I was wondering where do you store your clear block if you have them. I was trying to find ways to store them. So, finally decided to put them in a plastic bag for now. My larger clear block I put back into the package it came in.

Here my blog I updated it so if anyone wants to read it go ahead. I put some pictures of some of my artwork and my lastest post has some stuff I bought.

http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com/

I have a storage case for all my acrylic blocks too which are sold thru Close To My Heart.

Another tip for cleaning your stamps....NEVER use alcohol based cleansers. This will dry out your stamps and cause the stamps to crack in places.

I use an acrylic stamp cleanser and cleansing pad sold thru CTMH. I also recommend just plain old soap and water to some of my customers. I have had my acrylic stamps for about 7 years or so and have no problems with their image being distorted in any way.

Edited by pamela.tx on 08-29-12 08:48 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to pamela.tx

I think that's why so many people recommend baby wipes,,,,,,,,it's NOT that they are so much better than soap and water or anything else,,it's just that they tend to have no alcohol in them (babies butts are delicate!)

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx

Very true. It is more convenient to have a package of baby wipes nearby vs. getting up continuously to wash them.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to pamela.tx

Thanks ladies for the tips on the clear block and stamps. Is any soap ok to use or is there some I should stay away from?

I have just regular irish and dove soap and some that comes in a bottle. like i said before just been using a damp wash cloth and a dry towel to clean them. but will give other cleaners you all said when or if i get more stamps.

Justie

Diva

Sometimes I like the baby wipes and in other stamps I will use the CTMH spray and scrubber.

PreservingThePast
Mayor
PreservingThePast
In response to bayamonesa1

I recommend the baby wipes too. Very convenient and so far no problems on any of my stamps. If it is an archival ink, then you make not be able to get the stamp clean, but as others have said already...a stained stamp is a sign of a well used and well loved stamp.

If you have a bit of wall space IKEA has shelving that isn't too deep, they make boxes to fit it and it is very reasonably priced and holds a lot of scrapbooking/cardmaking products.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to PreservingThePast

Thanks for the tips I'll get some baby swips the next time I go to wal mart. I might just put some of these items down on my "Christmas List" since my parents always ask what we like for christmas. I just give them a list of things I would like. I tell them just buy a gift you can afford I am not expecting alot or nothing really
------------------------- ------------
http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics