Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Want to take my pages to the next level        (Topic#1579923)
elizabeth97
Veteran
elizabeth97

My pages are cute but I want them to look more professional. I can't spend a boatload of money on products though.

What product/s would you recommend that would help me to take my pages to the next level.

Thanks for the suggestions.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-22-12 12:07 PM
In response to elizabeth97

How would you define the "next level"? It might help if you posted some of your pages here so we could offer constructive criticism and suggest techniques to try. One idea that wouldn't cost anything is to look at pages here in the gallery that you'd like to emulate, and try to create a similar design using supplies you already have. Browsing the gallery for ideas might also lead you to discover products you'd like to try.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

Agree with Stick. Not sure what level you are on now - why don't you post a few here and maybe someone will have some ideas.

I know you will get a lot of very helpful ideas.

For me the next level is playing with inks and distressing a bit and using the punches and dies and embossing folders that I have. But You may already be doing that.

Anxious to see some of your pages!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to Henri Jean

I agree with both ladies. You should browse the galleries and see what you really like and what you would like to see in your layouts. What kind of techniques do you already use?

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to thehappyscrapper8

What they said

You say professional....do you mean like what you see in magazines? Many things you see on layouts you can recreate from things you already have.

Find a picture of a layout you think is professional, then see what you have around that can work. Don't be afraid to think outside the box, either! I love strolling through the hardware stores for things to use on my pages and projects.

Craft items (other than those marketed for scrapping) and items you might have around the house work well, too.

Good luck!!

MiaFrancis
Resident
MiaFrancis
In response to Kim222

Agree with all ladies and also lot of flower and another stuff you can create by yourself, for example using old phone book or other papers. You can make your own and it is fun =)

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to MiaFrancis

try entering the challenges on this site. that way you can see what other people did with the same criteria. that might help.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Lamoo12

All good advice. I would also add that learning more about the basic principals of design can really help too.

Cindy

elizabeth97
Veteran
elizabeth97
In response to cindy312

Thank you all for your responses. They were very helpful.

I don't know if I create pages "correctly." I think I need to work more on taking better pictures and pulling color from my pictures. I'm sure my basic principles of design need worked on greatly.

I really do LOVE scrapbooking. What I create may not be perfect but I love it.

Thanks again for your responses.

Edited by elizabeth97 on 08-28-12 02:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Resident
In response to elizabeth97

There is no "correct" way to do it.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-28-12 06:00 PM
In response to lynzdee

Craft and Art have nothing to do with "correct" and "perfect". The only correct way to do something, imo, is the way that works for you and makes you happy. There are principles and theories of design and color, there are lots of common/standard techniques for various media - but all of these can be done "incorrectly" and still be very effective. And my very personal opinion is that "professional" has no place whatsoever in scrapbooking, it's kind of anti-thetical to what I think scrapbooking is about.

I'm glad to see you uploaded some of your pages, they're delightful, and you clearly have fun!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

What Stick said.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to MiaFrancis

• MiaFrancis Said:
Agree with all ladies and also lot of flower and another stuff you can create by yourself, for example using old phone book or other papers. You can make your own and it is fun =)

Don't do it! It may look cute but phone books are printed on newsprint, which is high in acid and unsafe for your scrapbooks. Newsprint is meant to break down after time so it's a very poor choice for anything scrapbook related. Think of what a 5 or 10 year old newspaper looks like. That's what you're putting in your scrapbook when you make embellishments out of newsprint.

Scrapbooking with Newspaper

Diva
In response to Judy_Scraps

I feel the same way. I look at the gallery a lot but seems to be that I have a special way to do my pages evn when I want to "reproduce" something that I saw earlier. I don't think there is good or bad pages. Some, yes can be improved, but if I am happy with the results...it is my vision and I will be happy with i. WHen it is time to grow out of it...I will be in the next level.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to bayamonesa1

I agree with what everyone has said, but I think the most important thing needs to be said again and again: there is no wrong way to create your own pages and scrapbook! Use things that make you happy, mix colors that make you smile, and don't worry if a photo doesn't look "professional", the results will be memories of your family and life and will forever be treasured!

snoflake517
Veteran
snoflake517
In response to chocolateaxel

Something else to remember is that a lot of the "professional" pages are made by people on Design Teams that give them free product, and have tons of practice and experience with various techniques, thus they can have layouts that are more expensive and look more impressive.

simplycrafty
Veteran
simplycrafty
In response to snoflake517

I felt the same way a while back.. I really like DCWV I like the bright papers and I think a lot of the pages can be fussy cut to make embellishments so you dont have to spend a lot of money on themk. I have just a couple of punches that I use over and over again also I like love the look of layered pages so I try to use at least three different pages just on my "baclkround". Fun things that you can do is ink the edges of you pages I use INK It UP a lot for inking around the edges because it is only one dollar and I am really hard on my ink pads so I save my nicer pads for stamps. You can also use scissors to distress the edges I really like that look also. These are some of the things that I like to do that makes me feel better about my scrapbook pages.

Disclamer: I am not saying that anyway to scrapbook is right or wrong just saying what I personally like to do!!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to simplycrafty

I still remember when I started scrapping 10 years ago how lost I was. So, given how things have changed since then, this is my suggestion: youtube. Look for videos by manufacturers, teachers, etc. You will get to see all kinds of products, what they look like, how to use them and you'll be able to figure out if you want to try it now or later, or not at all. Check out the blogs of manufacturers, vendors, magazines, etc. Also, don't forget the clearance bins! You can find some great stuff there when each season/holiday is over and the stores need to make room for new stuff.

necygirl
New Kid On the Block
necygirl
In response to Crafting Marfa

Elizabeth I just saw your gallery and think your pages are lovely. I started scrapbooking in 2001 and my pages have changed so much over time. I think like anything else it takes practice.

I do sometimes use lots of embellishments and product because I get these things free from a DT I am on but honestly, my favorite layouts are the ones I use mostly paper, stamps and paint. Those aren't very expensive.

Just keep creating, you will be surprised in years to come how much your style will develop and change naturally.

KDQ
KDQ 
Guru
KDQ
  • KDQ on 10-17-12 10:30 AM
In response to necygirl

There are lots of great videos on youtube that show how to make flowers from materials you have around your home. You can also find lots of tricks and techniques on youtube. Happy scrapping!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics