Username Post: Printer recommendations??        (Topic#1579973)
Tenant

Hi everyone/anyone!!

I order my photos through online print-shops which makes my photo size and shape options quite limited. I'd like to be able to print out my photos at home, but am unsure of a model of printer that is good for archival, quality photo printing? Anyone use one they like?

Veteran
In response to MizLindsay

I use a pro lab, I figure they can get better quality that will last longer on their machines that are $$$$$ compared to the ones I can get on my $$ printer.

I love WHCC and I just put an order through bayphoto for a custom size metal print.

But if you want to buy one, there are tons of sales lately. I just picked up a brother inkjet printer/scanner/fax at bestbuy for $50, and the ink can be had off of amazon for about $1 a cartridge, then traded in at staples for $2 each. I wouldnt use the cheap carts for quality photo prints though, but it will suffice for my document printing.

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to GeraldFagan

I LOVE Epson Stylus, I've had two of them and the only reason for getting the second one is that it prints up to 13 inches wide by 24 long (or more). The photo quality is fantastic. It uses archival quality inks (but they can get expensive and cannot be refilled). With the Epson ink and the Epson paper, my photos come out looking better than having the processed. I can print out whatever size I want and I can print only the ones I want to use. This is what works for me.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to Mother Goose

I'm with Kay. I too have an Epson Stylus which I love. The only thing to remember is that if your photos get wet.....

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to Nancy Keslin

I'm a huge fan of Epson printers. I use an Epson R2880, which is a bit more expensive than most want to spend but it does produce better than lab quality prints (especially if you use Baryta paper when doing black and white) And the inks are archival. It drinks ink and is a beast of a machine, but the quality is outstanding. My price per 4x6 print is about 25 cents right now.

Before this one I had the Epson R1800, which was also a great printer that could produce lab quality prints. I think the R1900 replaced it, and there is an 8 1/2 x 11 version as well.

Photos getting wet... that really depends on the printer, paper and ink. The K3 inks my R2880 uses are supposed to be waterproof, but I've found that varies according to the paper and how long it has dried. With coated photo papers they're waterproof, with rag and fiber papers they tend not to be.

The biggest thing about printing at home is getting your monitor and printer calibrated so the prints come out like what you see on your screen. Also, if you invest in a higher end ink jet get a three year warranty so you're covered if it starts banding. And never use third party inks in a printer you're using for photos.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to Mother Goose

• Mother Goose Said:
I LOVE Epson Stylus, I've had two of them and the only reason for getting the second one is that it prints up to 13 inches wide by 24 long (or more). The photo quality is fantastic. It uses archival quality inks (but they can get expensive and cannot be refilled). With the Epson ink and the Epson paper, my photos come out looking better than having the processed. I can print out whatever size I want and I can print only the ones I want to use. This is what works for me.

Slightly off topic... but try a Red River or Inkpress sample pack of paper. Seriously,both brands are way better quality than the Epson papers and they cost less. They also both have a full line of professional papers and they have the ICC profiles for most Epson printers on thier sites as well, so you can have complete color matching.

Edited by photo_chick on 08-24-12 01:23 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

max28
max28 
Tenant
max28
  • max28 on 12-14-12 10:25 AM
In response to photo_chick

I use a brother. Very satisfied with it

Mountaingirl1163
Tenant
Mountaingirl1163
In response to MizLindsay

Do not buy the HP Photosmart 7510. Biggest waste of $$. The print quality is horrible even after cleaning the heads (recommended by cust Svc although I felt it should not have been spewing ink after printing less than 30 items!! I will never buy another HP product as their service team is useless!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Mountaingirl1163

I have an HP printer, copyer, scanner in one but it is difficult to print exactly what you want, gives me trouble!!!!
PLUS the ink is expensive!!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics