Page 1 of 8 
Username Post: Recipe Corner        (Topic#1580001)
mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

The other night some of us were sharing favorite recipes...and food memories...and gaining 10 pounds while reading all the yummy comments. That thread disappeared, along with the recipes. I thought I had saved most of them, but of course, I can't find all but a couple.

If you listed a recipe a couple of nights ago...or if you have one that you think we'd all enjoy, please take time to share.

Also anything else food-related. How do you scrap food/recipes? Any food memories? Food stories, funny or otherwise?

Thanks for sharing...and happy eating~Judy

Edited by mrsdriver5 on 07-02-13 07:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to mrsdriver5

This is one that Henri had put on the other night:

The batter will be very very thin - like water. I've never made batter that was so thin but that is how it is supposed to be. The cake is totally moist and perfect when it comes out of the oven.

BEST EVER CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE

3 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour (I don't sift)
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine room temp (I only use butter)
2 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 cup boiling water
Chocolate Fudge Frosting - recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350. Melt chocolate in a small bowl over hot, not boiling water; cool. (I put mine in the microwave on very low power and stir every 15 seconds).

Grease and flour two 9 x 1 1/2-inch layer cake pans; tap out excess flour.

Sift flour, baking soda and salt together (I just mix them, I don’t sift them). Beat butter until soft in large bowl. Add brown sugar and eggs; beat with mixer at high speed until light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla and cooled melted chocolate.

Stir in dry ingredients alternately with sour cream, beating well with a wooden spoon after each addition until batter is smooth. (I use a mixer on low after each addition.) Stir in boiling water. Batter will be very thin. Pour at once into prepared pans.

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed with fingertips.

Cool layers in pans on wire rack 10 minutes turn out onto wire racks; cool completely.

CHOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING (Do not mix with mixer, must be made by hand. This frosting is supposed to be fudgy, and the mixer will make it airy and it just isn't as good.)

4 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine room temp (I always use butter)
1 package (1 pound) 10x confectioners sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla

Combine chocolate and butter in small heavy saucepan. Place over low heat, just until melted and remove from heat. (I melt in microwave in a measuring cup or glass bowl on low power.)

Combine 10X sugar, milk and vanilla in medium bowl and stir until smooth. Add the heated chocolate mixture and set bowl in a pan of ice and water. Beat by hand until it is thick enough to spread and will hold its shape. It is really important that you do this by hand with the bowl in a big pan of ice and water. Mixer will incorporate air and it won’t have a fudgy consistency.

Last time I skipped the step of putting it on ice to beat it and it wasn't quite right. Next time I will put a pile of ice in my sink again and set the bowl on top of it.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

Very cool!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 08-25-12 03:28 AM
In response to Cindyckj

Judy, I only lurked a bit the other night and you all did seem to be having a ball so thanks for starting up again.

If the banana split cake recipe poster doesn't return I have that somewhere and will dig it out. Or call my sister who gave it to me in the first place years and years and years ago.

I would love a recipe for blueberry muffins like you get at all the coffee shops - the ones that are almost like a cake. Full of fat and sugar and calories and yumminess.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to GMFTS

I was the one with the banana split recipe. This is a sweet banana bread. If you don't want it real sweet use your current banana bread recipe and add the nuts, cherries and mini chocolate chips before baking and baking according to your recipe.

If you want to use my recipe - it is like a tea bread. Wonderful to take to pot lucks. Can work for dessert!

BANANA SPLIT TEA BREAD
Great for breakfast or snacks or pot lucks

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened (I use butter)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup mashed banana (about 2 large)
3 T milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup (6 oz bag) semisweet chocolate mini-chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chopped and blotted dry maraschino cherries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan.

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg.

In a small bowl combine bananas and milk.

In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with banana mixture.

Fold in the chocolate chips, pecans and cherries.

Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserved near the center comes out clean.

Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.

Makes 1 loaf.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to Henri Jean

That sounds yummy!

And a girl I work with brought in 3 cases of bannanas. Her husband inherited them with the RNC was canceled for that one day earlier this week.

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to DittoBabyGirl

Chicken Tenderloins

1/4 cup of bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of olive oil
2 tbsp of crushed garlic cloves
1 package of chicken tenderloins
1 tsp salt
pepper

heat oven to 400

saute olive oil and garlic together until garlic is slightly brown
dip tenderloins in olive oil/garlic mixture

mix your bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper
dip your olive oil covered chicken in it and put on baking sheet. Put in the oven for 35 minutes.

If you use boneless, skinless chicken boobs instead of tenderloins, leave in oven an extra 10 minutes.

I either serve this with pasta and garlic bread or with a baked potato.

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse

• mrsdriver5 Said:
This is one that Henri had put on the other night:

The batter will be very very thin - like water. I've never made batter that was so thin but that is how it is supposed to be. The cake is totally moist and perfect when it comes out of the oven.

BEST EVER CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE

3 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour (I don't sift)
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine room temp (I only use butter)
2 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 cup boiling water
Chocolate Fudge Frosting - recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350. Melt chocolate in a small bowl over hot, not boiling water; cool. (I put mine in the microwave on very low power and stir every 15 seconds).

Grease and flour two 9 x 1 1/2-inch layer cake pans; tap out excess flour.

Sift flour, baking soda and salt together (I just mix them, I don’t sift them). Beat butter until soft in large bowl. Add brown sugar and eggs; beat with mixer at high speed until light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla and cooled melted chocolate.

Stir in dry ingredients alternately with sour cream, beating well with a wooden spoon after each addition until batter is smooth. (I use a mixer on low after each addition.) Stir in boiling water. Batter will be very thin. Pour at once into prepared pans.

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed with fingertips.

Cool layers in pans on wire rack 10 minutes turn out onto wire racks; cool completely.

CHOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING (Do not mix with mixer, must be made by hand. This frosting is supposed to be fudgy, and the mixer will make it airy and it just isn't as good.)

4 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine room temp (I always use butter)
1 package (1 pound) 10x confectioners sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla

Combine chocolate and butter in small heavy saucepan. Place over low heat, just until melted and remove from heat. (I melt in microwave in a measuring cup or glass bowl on low power.)

Combine 10X sugar, milk and vanilla in medium bowl and stir until smooth. Add the heated chocolate mixture and set bowl in a pan of ice and water. Beat by hand until it is thick enough to spread and will hold its shape. It is really important that you do this by hand with the bowl in a big pan of ice and water. Mixer will incorporate air and it won’t have a fudgy consistency.

Last time I skipped the step of putting it on ice to beat it and it wasn't quite right. Next time I will put a pile of ice in my sink again and set the bowl on top of it.

Can I use my chocolate melter to melt the chocolate and butter? Does it have to be on the stove? And can I use Almond Bark instead of chocolate?

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Lunareclipse

A few years ago, I joined a couple of recipe swaps. One was a letter of the alphabet tag swap where each person took a letter and scrapped a recipe on a tag. When I got them all back, I put them on a big key ring.

Other recipe swaps I was in we did 6x6 layouts by course (entree, apps, desserts etc) and I bought a little album to put them in.

I'll post a couple here, but there was no public embedding option back then, so it'll just be the links.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

Huh!! Did you know you can go back to images where you didn't allow public embedding and change them so that you can choose it?!

Learn something new every day!!

Anyway---here's one :

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

And here's another :

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

And one more :

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

I don't want to be a thread hog, so if you're interested, there is an album in my gallery called Swaps. There are a few more recipes in there.

Now.........LETS EAT!!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

I keep forgetting to come over here.

I'll find something to post later today. Right now my husband wants to play Free Cell. I just clobbered him at Soduku.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Kim222

Go ahead, Kim...that's what Recipe Corner is for...recipes Possibly we should make another thread...the Exercise Room, so we can visit it after reading Recipe Corner lol ~Judy

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

• mrsdriver5 Said:
Go ahead, Kim...that's what Recipe Corner is for...recipes Possibly we should make another thread...the Exercise Room, so we can visit it after reading Recipe Corner lol ~Judy

Go ahead and make your thread, but please don't be offended if I don't visit there

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

Here's the cheesecake I posted on another thread so I'll post it here - it really is a good on and I think its foolproof!

CHEESECAKE

Preheat oven to 350

Graham Cracker Crust
1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup butter, softened
¼ cup sugar

Mix together and press in the bottom of an ungreased springform pan. Bake for 5 minutes and let cool. Then turn the oven to 375 for the filling.

Filling
2 packages (8 oz ea) cream cheese – room temperature
I only use Philly regular
3 unbeaten eggs
1 tsp vanilla
¾ cup sugar

Mix cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar until creamy. You can use the mixer but do not overbeat. Use the very lowest speed of the mixer and be careful not to incorporate any air into it to make it fluffy. That will cause the cheesecake to dry out and crack. You just want it creamy, which is why you want your cream cheese room temp.

Add the eggs one at a time and mix on low just until the yolks disappear or blend in. Then stop mixing it.

Pour over baked crust and put back in the oven for 25 minutes. When it is done it will be jiggly in the center. The center will not be set and will jiggle if you shake the pan. I just take it out in 25 minutes and its always been perfect.

Leave oven at 375.

Sour Cream Topping Layer
8 oz sour cream
2 TBS sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Stir this together – will mix in a small bowl with a spoon just fine. Pour over cooled cheesecake, return to oven and bake 5 minutes.

Let cheesecake chill at least 24 hours before cutting. I spread a chilled can of cherry pie filling over the top but blueberry pie filling works well too.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Cheesecake Fruit Salad Topping - We love it!

Here is the fruit salad dressing - and it will stir together with a spoon.

8 oz Philly cream cheese
7 oz jar Kraft Marshmallow cream
1 TBL orange juice or maraschino cherry juice
A drop or two of food coloring - optional II don't add it)

Just mix it together with a spoon. You may have to add more liquid - it has to be thin enough to ladle over the fruit salad but still pretty thick - if that makes sense. You will know the right consistency when you see it - trust me. It tastes like the cheesecake filling and is wonderful with any kind of fruit.

If I feel like getting fancy I cut a fresh pineapple lengthwise and make two "boats" when the pineapple is removed with the leaves still attached. I put the fruit salad dressing in those and put one on each end of the table. Very fancy for a nice dinner party.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Henri--does the sour cream topping "set"? Like the cheesecake? Or does it stay somewhat softer, like whipped cream consistency?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

It does kind of set - about the same consistency as the cheesecake is.

This is not a real dense New York style cheesecake, its more of a creamy cheesecake but it sets very nicely.

When the springform collar is removed it is very pretty and holds firm. Especially if pie filling is on top.

Page 1 of 8 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics