Page 2 of 8 
Username Post: Recipe Corner        (Topic#1580001)
mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
  • mrsdriver5 Said:
Go ahead, Kim...that's what Recipe Corner is for...recipes Possibly we should make another thread...the Exercise Room, so we can visit it after reading Recipe Corner lol ~Judy

Go ahead and make your thread, but please don't be offended if I don't visit there

Yeah...I don't think it would be visited very often, but probably the room that many of us could use the most (especially after reading the yummy-sounding recipes!)~Judy

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
It does kind of set - about the same consistency as the cheesecake is.

This is not a real dense New York style cheesecake, its more of a creamy cheesecake but it sets very nicely.

When the springform collar is removed it is very pretty and holds firm. Especially if pie filling is on top.

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to try it!!

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to Kim222

Here is my cheesecake recipe. It is a super easy, no bake (except the crust) that is creamy and wonderful! I am now "required" to bring it to all family functions!

Preheat oven to 375. 2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup melted margarine
Mix together and pat into 9x13pan. Bake for 6-8 minutes. let cool.

Filling
two 8 oz. pkgs. cream cheese (softened)
two 14oz cans condensed milk
2/3 cup lemon juice
2 tsp. vanilla
Beat cream cheese and add condensed milk. slowly add lemon juice and vanilla. pour into cooled crust and refrigerate (at least 3 hours)
Top with two 21oz cans cherry pie filling if desired
ENJOY!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to crazycricut

I have had this one before and it is really very good! I've never made it but we had friends who always had it when the invited us over for dinner - she shared the recipe with me when I asked her for it. This is a great one because you can pull it together for dinner the same day - it doesn't have to sit overnight!

The thing I'm required to bring to pot luck dinners and my son is required to bring to his work pot lucks (no matter where he has worked) is my corn souffle.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Lynn - that sounds delish!! I'm going to try that one, too!! Have I mentioned I love cheesecake?!

Henri--Corn Souffle--share share you know you care

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

Pumpkin Toffee Cheesecake
The best of both worlds – Cheesecake and Pumpkin Pie

1 ¾ cups (about 14-16) shortbread cookies, crushed
1 TBL butter, softened or melted
3 pkgs (3 oz each) cream cheese – softened to room temp
1 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin (not pie filling) – I use Libby’s
2/3 cups (5 oz can) Evaporated Milk (I use Carnation)
2 large eggs
2 TBL cornstarch
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup crushed toffee candies (I crush up Heath Bars and I used the packaged toffee)
8 oz sour cream, room temperature
2 TBL sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
Caramel ice cream topping is optional but I use it

Preheat Oven to 350.

Crust
Combine crumbs and butter in a small bowl. Press onto the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. I let it go up the sides about 1 inch but you don’t have to.

Bake 6-8 minutes (do not brown it) and then let it cool for 10 minutes.

Filling
Beat cream cheese and brown sugar on a lower speed until creamy. Do not whip it or beat it until air is incorporated to make it fluffy. Just mix it well. Add pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, cornstarch and cinnamon. Mix until it is all well mixed but when all the ingredients are blended – stop mixing. Pour over crust.

Bake for 60-65 minutes or until edge is set but the center still moves slightly. Remove from oven and top with toffee candy pieces.

Topping
Combine sour cream, sugar and vanilla extract in small bowl; mix well. Spread over warm (but not hot) cheesecake.

Bake for 8 minutes. Cool completely

Refrigerate overnight. Drizzle the caramel ice cream topping over the top – I put it in a squeeze bottle and make a pattern with it.

To serve, remove sides of springform pan and slice. Makes a beautiful presentation.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

I have a sweet potato souffle recipe I've made a couple of times. Soo good. I'll have to go dig it out and type it up.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

Love pumpkin pie almost as much as I love cheesecake

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

• Henri Jean Said:
The thing I'm required to bring to pot luck dinners and my son is required to bring to his work pot lucks (no matter where he has worked) is my corn souffle.

Looking for the recipe...or is it a secret? ~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Happy to share Lynn. The corn souffle recipe came from a church potluck around 1971 and is a favorite!

First I have to tell you a funny story about my corn souffle.

My youngest son was working at either Krogers or Macys - don't remember and they were having a pot luck dinner and he was told to bring the corn souffle - they all loved him to bring it.

He started making it when he was a teenager (its that simple) so he made two of them for work. They usually ate two of them.

Then on the day before Thanksgiving he made the souffles - (he wasn't scheduled to work that day)but I took him in for his potluck luncheon along with his two corn souffles. He had his days mixed up! It was not the day before Thanksgiving - it was the day after Thanksgiving!

So, the two corn casseroles were placed in my refrigerator. On Thanksgiving day I made two fresh souffles to serve, I knew we would eat the ones Joe made the day before as leftovers. No problem. So I had four corn souffles in my refrigerator.

Also on Thanksgiving I made a 32 pound turkey and every trimming imagineable. We ate a half of one of the corn souffles I had just made. No problem. We had four of them and they would be eaten as leftovers - everyone likes to take a couple spoonfuls and reheat it. Reheats beautifully.

The next day - the day of the luncheon, Joe made two more corn souffles. Guess what. The luncheon got cancelled for lack of interest. Too many people out of town. I now had SIX CORN SOUFFLES in my refrigerator! Actually 5 and a half.

Wasn't a problem, it took a couple days but they were all eaten. But how funny.

At one of the RE/MAX luncheons one of the guys pulled me aside and said, "Every since the last luncheon I've been trying to duplicate your corn souffle and I give up. Will you give the recipe?"

I told him - everytime I take it anywhere or Joe takes it anywhere, I always take copies of the recipe because everyone asks for it.

This is not one that will hold it a souffle shape. It does fall - you just have to expect it. Maybe the weight of the corn prevents it from staying puffy but it does fall. Expect it too.

It still looks nice in the dish, it just doesn't stay risen like some souffles do. But it is sooooooo good!

CORN SOUFFLE
Also called Corn Pudding

This is my kids absolute favorite dish - always has been. We cannot have a family Thanksgiving or Easter dinner without it.

I always double this recipe but I have never tried doubling it in one casserole dish; I always use two 1-qt. casserole dishes.

1 can (16 oz) creamed corn (Unsalted creamed corn does not work!)
4 eggs (in a bowl beaten well)
1 Cup heavy cream
1/4 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup self-rising flour
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 - Grease 1-quart casserole dish. (I use Pam.)

In mixing bowl, mix together sugar & flour. Add a little bit of the heavy cream and mix it by hand until all the lumps are out of the mixture. You may need to add a little bit more of the heavy cream – you want to make a nice thick soupy paste.

Once it is completely smooth, add the rest of the heavy cream and mix it for a few seconds with the mixer until the additional cream is mixed in well. Do not let the mixture start to thicken or get fluffy – it will ruin the texture of the soufflé. You only want it smooth with no lumps. It should be a very thin mixture.

Make sure you eggs are well beaten with a fork and add them to the mixture - mix on low only until the eggs are blended, do not beat the mixture. You only want to mix it so it’s smooth. This only takes seconds so don’t walk away – the cream will start to get fluffy which you do not want for this recipe.

Gently stir in corn, salt and pepper; I use the mixer for this step but only for a few seconds – until the corn is distributed throughout. The mixture will be extremely soupy – that is the way it is supposed to be.

Pour into the greased casserole dish(es) and bake uncovered for 1 hour or until the edges are set and it starts to turn a tiny bit brown – it should be set pretty well although the very center (no bigger than a silver dollar) may be a tiny bit jiggly. It’s not unusual for it to take and extra 5-10 minutes sometimes over an hour to bake it.

It will rise up pretty, but it will also fall as it cools, expect it; it is supposed to fall.

Serve hot – reheats well in the microwave.

As I mentioned, I always double it but I divide it into two 1-qt. casserole dishes. I would imagine the baking times would need to be re-calculated if you put the doubled amount in a 2-qt. casserole.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

I'll have to try to remember to take it for Thanksgiving at my daughter's house. Sounds good! For Easter I make a carrot souffle, which everyone thinks sounds strange, but it's good. Put enough brown sugar on anything...and it kind of turns into a dessert :>)

I'm going to have to dig out my recipe book, aren't I? I'm supposed to be scrapping!~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

I need a new sweet potatoe souffle recipe. Mine is okay - but not awesome.

I had dinner at a friends house recently and their neighbor brought one that was fantastic. She said she would give my friend the recipe for me and never did so I need a good one.

None of my recipes are secret - I share them all.

I am slowly putting them all in the computer and when finished (got 75 so far I think) they will go to my kids and neices and nephews. Will print them out and bind them.

My mother is 83 and although she still runs her own business, she has no idea how she made some of the dishes we loved when we were growing up becuase she rarely cooks anymore.

I refuse to let my recipes go to the grave with me - I want my kids to be able to enjoy the things I make long after I'm gone.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

The corn souffle sounds good Henri! Thanks!

Judy - I'll dig out my sweet potato souffle recipe if you dig out your carrot souffle...!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

I want both of them. I have an interesting one for a pineapple and cheese casserole I can dig up. Sounds horrible but really quite good and a nice change.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

That sounds really gross, Henri, but I love pineapple and I think my last name is Mouse, so the two ingredients sound good. I'm not as adventurous as I used to be, but never know...I might try it.

I'll dig out my carrot souffle later. Right now...I need to do something besides be on the forums! ~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I know - my husband made me go in the living room and watch an episode of Hawaii 5-0 with him.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

I've looked everywhere. Someone ate the cheesecake samples

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

k....dug into the archives just for you guys!! Haven't made this since Easter a few years back. Time for it to make an encore appearance I think

Sweet Potato Souffle

1.5 lbs sweet potatoes
5 eggs - separated
8 oz cream cheese
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper **
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup parmesan cheese - grated **
1 tablespoon fresh thyme - chopped

Preheat oven to 325
Roast the potatoes for 90 minutes, then cool, peel and slice.
Cream the cheese and egg yolks in a processor.
Add potatoes and process.
Add honey, salt, pepper and cheese and process
In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until fluffy.
Fold the egg whites into the potato mixture.
Pour into a baking dish and bake for 40 minutes.

Notes:
I don't know how many cups my souffle dish is, but the measurements are 9 1/2 x 7 1/2 and just about 4" high.

** You can omit these two ingredients and add pumpkin pie spice instead to make it a dessert souffle

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

• mrsdriver5 Said:
I've looked everywhere. Someone ate the cheesecake samples

Not Me did it!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

I didn't get any!

Sweet potatoe casserole has to be good - it has such good ingredients!

Page 2 of 8 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics