Username Post: Recipe Corner        (Topic#1580001)
crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to Kim222

I am REALLY wanting some cheesecake now! I don't dare make any though. Its only my DD and I at home for awhile and she doesn't like cheesecake! I would eat the whole thing (so it wouldn't go to waste) but then it would ALL go to waist!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to crazycricut

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to crazycricut

CARROT SOUFFLÉ
Ingredients:
1 pound carrots, cooked
3 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
Dash of nutmeg
Dash of cinnamon (I like a big "dash")
1/4 cup cornflake crumbs
3 Tbsp. light brown sugar
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Directions: Pureé the carrots in a blender. Add the eggs and process until smooth. Add the sugar, flour, baking powder, vanilla, 1/2 cup melted butter, nutmeg and cinnamon. Process until smooth.

Pour into a greased 1-1/2 quart soufflé dish. Combine the cornflake crumbs, brown sugar, 2 Tbsp. softened butter and nuts in a bowl and mix well. Sprinkle over the top of the carrot mixture.

Bake in a preheated 350° oven for one hour.

Notes: This is how the recipe was given to me. I peel the carrots and cut them up into pieces about 3 or 4 inches long, then boil for about five to seven minutes. It doesn't take long. You want them soft for the blender, but not mushy.

I usually use margarine instead of butter.

For the brown sugar, I use light or dark...whichever I happen to have handy.

I like walnuts or pecans for the topping.

This is like Henri's recipe, it doesn't stay soufflé-puffy, but I didn't name the recipe :>)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

This looks more like dessert! Yep - I'm going to make this. Don't anyone tell my husband it is cooked carrots though.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Henri Jean

That sounds really good, Judy! Thanks for sharing!

While digging through my recipes last night, I came across a broccoli casserole that my niece made a few times and it was sooooo good!!! I'll have to type it up sometime this weekend and post it.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Kim222

One year my mom, my bff, and I took my oldest granddaughter (10 at the time) on a trip through the south. My bff's sister lives in S.C. so we visited her. We were there on Easter and her daughter made the carrot soufflé. The name didn't sound so good, but I got the recipe and now I make it every Easter. My mom knows to save her corn flake crumbs for me :>) ~Judy

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Kim222

Ummm...I love broccoli casseroles. Always ready to try a new one~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I make a Coca Cola Bing Cherry Gelatin Salad for Thanksgiving and occasionally for other holidays. Molds beautifully and is a family favorite. I got the recipe at an office potluck about 10 years ago. If anyone wants it I'll dig it get it.

I put it on a small pedistal cake stand for Thanksgiving and its really popular. Bill, who doesn't like anything mixed together loves it.

I'm bad because after Thanksgiving I will just have a plate with a slice of it in place of a meal!

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

Henri Jean, that sounds really good, I'd like to have the recipe for that, please.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to chocolateaxel

Let me roam around cyberspace for a minute and see if it is in the computer. If not I'll find it and type it out.

It was in my recipe file in word alrleady! Here it is!

Bing Cherry Coca-Cola Salad

Lightly Grease one large mold or 2 small ones.

I got this recipe from someone I worked with about around 1996 at RE/MAX- she always took it to potluck dinners. It is always on my Easter and Thanksgiving dinner tables on a small cake pedestal.

1 (15 oz can) bing cherries - drain, reserve liquid
1 (15 oz can) crushed pineapple - drain, reserve liquid
2 1/2 cups reserved liquid and water
1 large package black cherry Jello
1 large package cherry Jello
1 (12 oz can) Coke - room temp
8 oz cream cheese – let it sit out for several hours – the softer, the better.
1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)

Drain cherries and pineapple (I dump them together in the strainer); save juice. Add water to equal 2 1/2 cups liquid. Bring juice and water to boil in large pot.

Add Jello and stir until well dissolved. Add cream cheese and stir until smooth (I use a wisk). Unless it is room temp, it will lump and the lumps will not come out. The softer it is, the better it will blend. I put it out for several hours so it is just goo. If it is really soft you can blend it right in.

Stir in Coke, fruit and nuts. When you pour in the Coke it will get really foamy on top. I then let it sit for a little while until some of the foam goes away, stirring occasionally before I pour it in the mold. (Don’t let it cool too much or it will start to set). I also scoop some of the foam off the top if it doesn’t go away quickly. It will not hurt the finished salad but I don’t worry about getting all the foam. Sometimes there is a good bit of foam – sometimes there isn’t.

Can actually be cut in slices – so pretty.

The flavor of this is phoenomenal!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

I thought maybe it was the Coca Cola Salad my daughter makes...and I love, but ours doesn't have the cream cheese. Yours sounds good, too.

Jini, my daughter, was making it for Christmas and I have an orange jello recipe that she loves and I make it for Thanksgiving and sometimes as a birthday gift to her Yes, she likes it that much. Now I make hers for Easter also since it goes so good with ham.

However, I've discovered that I need to buy enough bing cherries during the Holidays to carry me throughout the year since our stores consider them a seasonal product and won't carry them other times. I'm not sure what about "bing" makes it seasonal because they carry other canned cherries, but they don't work in the salad.

Now I'll have to try yours too!~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

What is in your orange salad? Sounds interesting.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Orange Jello
1—6-oz. pkg. orange jello (dry)
1—3.4-oz. pkg. vanilla pudding (cooked according to package directions, or prepare instant mix)
1—3-oz. pkg. tapioca pudding (cooked according to package directions—takes 2 cups milk)
4 cups boiling water (I make it just a tad short...not sure by how much, just not filled completely to the line...maybe leave out a tablespoon—depends somewhat on the humidity. If it's dry, I add the full amount.)
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained
1 can (15 oz.) Mandarin oranges, drained
1 large (16 oz.) Cool Whip, slightly defrosted

Make the vanilla pudding and set aside to thicken. Make the tapioca pudding in a large pan. Follow the instructions on the package, but once the cooking time is done, set the pan off of the burner and stir until the pan cools a bit so the pudding won’t burn on the bottom.

Stir in the prepared vanilla pudding and the dry jello, then slowly stir in the boiling water.

Pour into a large serving bowl and put in refrigerator for about half an hour to an hour. You want it cooled, but not gelled.

Add the drained pineapple and oranges, then stir in the Cool Whip. Mix it all well and refrigerate till gelled.

I make it the night before. If it’s late and you want to go to bed, you can add the fruit and Cool Whip without waiting till it’s all cooled, but the fruit will usually settle at the bottom, so it will need to be stirred before serving and doesn’t look as pretty.

This is a Thanksgiving tradition for our family, plus I make it for my oldest daughter’s birthday as a special request. It’s good as a salad or as a light dessert. You can add coconut, if you want, but I normally don’t.

Don’t let the tapioca be a turn-off. I don’t like tapioca pudding, but it’s not noticeable in this. If you really protest, you could just use two vanilla puddings instead.

I got this from a good friend/neighbor, around 1976, when we lived in Denver.~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Thanks Judy - I'm definitely going to try this! Very interesting combination of ingredients!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom

Judy asked about scrapping food, I have pics of my son helping me cook, like grating cheese for homemade mac n cheese, or last thursdays cooking night at preschool (we made pizza!). We each took pics of each other with the pie, and one of the recipe itself, n that will be scrapped. Oh, I have just the idea for a background - round circles in beige (crust) and smaller circles layered in red (sauce) with punch scraps in white for the cheese sprinkles!! Good enough to eat!

I also bought some (three) packs of paper with a food theme, one is Christmas food...good for pics of my cookie trays!!
- Chris

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Juansmom

Sounds like a cute LO, Chris. I'm looking forward to seeing it in your gallery.

Love your new avatar/picture, too~

Judy

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Henri had put this on the mopped thread, then on another thread, but I'm copying it to this site also. Hope you don't mind, Henri...it sounds really good...plus, I love the name!

COWTIPPERS COCONUT CAKE
from Henri

1 stick butter - room temp
1/2 Cup Crisco
2 Cups granulated sugar
5 egg yolks
2 Cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 Cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
4 egg white
3/4 Cup Coco Lopez (or Kurumba) - usually found with bar mixers

FROSTING

1 1/2 sticks butter, cold
12 oz. Cream cheese
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
5 Cups confectioners sugar
1 Cup sweetened coconut, flaked

Preheat oven to 325. Coat 2 - 9" pans with cooking spray and set aside.

Beat butter, Crisco, sugar, and egg yolks until fluffy. In a separate bowl sift flour and baking soda. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and mix well.

Fold in egg whites. Divide into 2 cake pans and bake 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Set on rack to cool about 10-15 minutes.

Turn out and drizzle coconut milk on cakes. Allow to stand overnight. Slice cake in half to make 4 layers. (I will try this next time using 4 - 9" pans rather than cutting. I don't see why that wouldn't work – just have to remember to cut baking time.)

Beat frosting ingredients together. If butter is room temperature, then chill before frosting.

Frost 1 layer, add another layer, frost, etc. Frost sides, then press coconut onto sides and top.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Cindyckj had posted this yummy-sounding recipe:

Chocolate Eclair Cake
by Cindyckj

graham crackers
2 boxes french vanilla pudding
3 1/2 cups milk
8-9 oz cool whip
1 can milk chocolate frosting

Spray pan
layer crackers
make pudding with milk
add cool whip to the pudding
pour half of the pudding mixture over crackers
layer crackers again
pour the rest of the pudding over the crackers
layer crackers again
refridgerate till it sets up good
melt icing so it's easier to spread and then EAT!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

...and another one from Henri~(I want to go live with Henri. She makes some yummy stuff!)~Judy

------------------------- ---------------
Here's a great appetizer. In fact my son makes it for his friends when they come over about once a week and everyone absolutely loves it. Most prep can be done ahead.

Scoops Taco-ettes (my own creation so I named it).
by Henri

I bag Scoops - those tortilla chips that look like little bowls.
1 envelope any brand taco mix
Ground beef & water as indicated on the envelope
1 block - 8 oz is more than enough cut in 3/4" cubes
Sour cream - optional

Before serving, even the night before cube the cheese into squares and make the taco filling. You don't have to make it in advance but I always do. In fact I use the leftovers filling when we have tacos for dinner.

Right before serving set the oven to 350 degrees.

1. Get a cookie sheet or large flat baking pan.

2. Cover the sheet foil or parchment if you want easy cleanup but that is optional.

3. Arrange Scoops all over sheet - open side up.

4. Put a spoonful of taco/beef mixture in each one.

5. Top with a cube of cheese.

6. Bake at 350 for 3-5 minutes or until cheese melts.

7. Put sour cream on side so people can put on them if they like.

My husband and son especially like me to make these and bring them out for a snack when they are in the pool. No matter when I make them, they love them.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Post any of my recipes Judy - I'm always happy to share. None are secrets.

Juansmom - when I first started scrapping in 2007 (after a 38 years or so hiatus from scrapping - another story), we went to a pizza party. I wanted every page to be perfect - the perfect paper, embellishments, everything and didn't realize that things got expensive.

Anyway, I heard there was a patterned paper with pepperoni pizza all over it - my husbands favorite. I found it on ebay - a paper that was just a close up a a large pizza.

They also had one of all chocolate frosting and one of all spaghetti pasta. I had to have all 3. I've never used the pasta (but will in an upcoming layout of my granddaughter eating spaghetti), used one sheet of the chocolate in a Cancun page for Chocolate City. And I used 1 or 2 sheets of the pizza paper in a layout for that pizza party.

Here was the problem. I had to buy a minimum of 50 of each sheets. No problem, I couldn't get my debit card out fast enough. I needed 3 sheets of paper - I ordered 150. I don't see a problem here.

Anyway, wish I could get the pizza paper to you but it would cost more to mail than it is worth! Cannot think of any way to mail it reasonably. If you can think of a way to get it there cheaply (its 12 x 12), I'll send a couple sheets to you!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics