Username Post: Challenges        (Topic#1580127)
thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8

How do you keep up with challenges and sketch contests and deadlines? How do you try and know about them. I keep finding out about them when the deadline is like a week away.

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I used to go into the challenges section and specifically look for monthly ones where there is a sign-up by deadline and once that month rolls around, you post your LO sometime before X date (usually at the end of the month). But then I automatically kept coming to this general section and I forgot to check challenges. I haven't done one in ages...more than a year! But it was a good way to get my creative juices flowing!

ETA: There might also be challenges in any local scrapping stores, or scrap nights you might attend. I go to one once a month and we hang out LOs that were completed sometime in the month before. I haven't hung anything yet because my current album is all double page LOs. And I went to a retreat in May that is twice a year. The lady who organizes it does a challenge in between May-Oct. to get us to keep scrapping between that time frame. We bring our challenge pages in and get a prize just for participating!

Edited by MrsD2008 on 08-28-12 08:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 08-28-12 09:09 AM
In response to MrsD2008

If I join a challenge I add it as a favorite topic and I make a list that I keep in my scraproom of what ones I have joined and if I have done a lo for it.
I also keep a list to be sure I remember to leave love - in other words I try to check in frequently.
I have made the mistake before of overestimating my free time in any given month and entered more challenges than I could handle.

How to find challenges:
Right about now is a great time to start signing up for September challenges. Most challenges start posting in the last week of the month for the next month.

I know that Ugly Paper has started and so has Boys Boys Boys - and my personal fav right now-
(because I am the hostess ) can be found here and you are right on time to join:
http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15799...

So Crafty
New Kid On the Block
So Crafty
In response to GMFTS

I use designteamcalls.com. You can get some of the Calls free but for a few $ a month you can get a complete list.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to So Crafty

Thank you So Crafty for the info. This seems like a great site

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap

I go the challenge section the last few days of the month til the 1st or 2nd of the next month and go through the challenges and pick the ones that strike my fancy that month.and I have some favorites I do every month...I save the ones I want to enter under favorite topics. (see Save to Favorite Topics below) I print the list (and usually lose it lol) but I can write the twists on that list for the challenges that have a twist and keep track of which layouts I've done.
I entered GMFTS's gallery challenge and I recommend it. It's a great idea...a lift challenge with a twist.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to dollscrap

I'm a geek: I keep a spreadsheet.

I have the different links along the top columns, sorted by type of challenge (card, LO, other) and then by the day of the week that they start. I have the dates down the side, and I colour in the blocks of days that each challenge runs for. I have today's date showing in red so that I can see instantly when I'm nearing the end of the challenge. When I complete each one, I change the colour and add my entry on the date so I can see which I have left to do. I also copy any photo inspirations into it.

Then I can print off the current challenges and take the sheet to a crop. I don't enter every challenge every time, but it gives me a great choice of inspiration to choose from. It works for me.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel: I really like the idea of keeping a spread sheet. I think I am going to try that for sure and see how it works our for me. Thank you all suggestions.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

don't forget the online challenges,,,,you can win lots of free stuff. I just won a 50.00 voucher for Simon Says stamp. Entering was a whim, a why not,,,it was anything goes, so why not enter something. There are tons of anything goes challenges out there, and if you make a card or a LO, why not??

As for keeping track,,,I'm old fashioned,,,,I write it on my calendar

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

• thehappyscrapper8 Said:
RedSquirrel: I really like the idea of keeping a spread sheet. I think I am going to try that for sure and see how it works our for me. Thank you all suggestions.

I can PM you a screen shot if it would help?

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to RedSquirrel

I would really appreciate that!!!

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

Whenever I join challanges, I actually store them on a word document and check them off as I finish them.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics