Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Distressing        (Topic#1580233)
Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse

You'll have to forgive me, but I am a total newb at scrapbooking. Most posts I read I am completely lost because I have no clue what something is. So I am making a thread for all of my silly little questions so I am not making a ton of little, irritating threads or hijacking another person's thread for a newb question.

First question: What is distressing? What do I do and how does it look?

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to Lunareclipse

If there is a terminology that you think I should know, you can go ahead and add it before I ask what it is.

justowen
Governor
justowen

There are soooo many techniques that are considered to be 'distressing', including inking the edges of papers, tearing the edges of papers, rolling the edges of papers, sanding the edges of papers, scrunching up the paper and smoothing it back out to give a wrinkly look. There are lots more, and hopefully you will get lots of responses! I know I will check back to see who has posted something that I've not seen or have been wondering about!

Here is a video that shows several techniques.

http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/?m=view&v= 473&c...

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

I would say distressing to me is making something look worn and sometimes really old.

There are tools to help distress the edges of your papers like these. I love the tim holtz one and have the prima one but haven't had time to really experiment with all the things it does.

When I first started I just used an ordinary nail file. lol And whatever ink I had to add to the edges.

I like the him holtz distress inks too. A nice brown is always good to start with.

You might also google how to distress in scrapbook or something like that cause i'm sure there are videos done and many many other ways to distress. It really is alot of fun!

And you may want to check the video section here as well.

Edited by Cindyckj on 08-30-12 12:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to Cindyckj

Thank you. I never thought about it being ok for something in a scrapbook to look old. I suppose I shall have to try it out!

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

It's all in what you like. I don't always like everyones lo's and i'm sure they don't always like mine but that's ok cause I like my lo's and that's what matters.

Just do what is pleasing to you!

I also suggest browsing the forum gallery. You'll find so many awsome lo's there.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

• Lunareclipse Said:
Thank you. I never thought about it being ok for something in a scrapbook to look old. I suppose I shall have to try it out!

Just to offer another option here....
I tried to copy the distress techniques of others when I first discovered "distressing" and was never very happy with the results.
As I got to know my own style better, what I liked (as pp said), I realized that I liked the technique but I didn't like everything to look old.....what I mean by that is that I still ink the edges of things (sometimes with black, grey or teal, even red if it's Christmas!), sometimes I use my TH distresser on the edges of pages (like one of my son, playing and getting dirty for example) but I like using bright colours and I use a lot of kraft paper but rarely use brown or cream colours on my pages.....I don't really like the old, shabby, heritage look...that's just me...

So, what I'm trying to say, is if you see a technique that you like, don't be afraid to use it in a different way....Or don't dismiss a technique because it doesn't seem to fit in with your style...... Alison

Resident
In response to kiyawinn

I always go with when I find a new technique, I try it (a few times) some of them I love some aren't for me some I don't realize I love till a few months later.
Just don't force yourself to use something, or do something "because its popular" do it because you like it.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to kiyawinn

When I joined this site I started out with colored paper, shaped scissors and some stickers. I have learned sooooo much by browsing the galliers and asking questions. Youtube and Google are great resources too.

Last year I purchased a Distrezz It All. Its electric and works great. I still sometimes use the Tim Holtz distresser

http://store.scrapbook.com/pp-zu7617.html

Welcome to the site and good luck!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to must_love_paper

Oh, distressing is SO MUCH FUN!!!! you can ink the edges sepia or brown or whatever,,,,,,you can fray the edges with scissors or a distressing tool,,you can tear paper, wet paper, crinkle paper,,,,,,,

it's one of my FAVORITE things to do!!!!!

Lunie
Lunie 
Veteran
Lunie
  • Lunie on 08-30-12 03:34 PM
In response to CommaHolly

Distressing is cool because if you screw up, you can always make it worse and it will look better. My first project that I did was a hilarious mess but I had 4 good color Distress Inks and I just couldn't ruin it and it turned out perfect in my eyes. Go to Tim Holtz blog. You'll love it.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 08-30-12 06:01 PM

• Lunareclipse Said:
You'll have to forgive me, but I am a total newb at scrapbooking. Most posts I read I am completely lost because I have no clue what something is. So I am making a thread for all of my silly little questions so I am not making a ton of little, irritating threads or hijacking another person's thread for a newb question.

First question: What is distressing? What do I do and how does it look?

Great idea to ask all your questions - but believe me they won't be silly... and we all started the same way so we will get it. Plus this board has the nicest people who love to share with each other and especially newbies.

OK - here is a distressed lo I did the other day... note the stitching in the upper right? That came about because as I was using the Tonic distressing tool the paper ripped down that far. I figured what the heck and rolled with it.
Just as pp said it is so easy to cover up your mistakes and I actually like what this 'mistake' added to the lo.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to GMFTS

It looks like distressing is for me! Any method that will make goof-ups look like they were planned has to be a good thing for me to use lol

So far I've just edged things, mostly with fluid chalk, but I want to try water distressing sometime—just for some variation. For the LOs I've done, I haven't used the vintage-look of edging, but usually use a color that goes with what I'm doing.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to mrsdriver5

can I make something look like peeling wallpaper?

crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping
In response to mrsdriver5

i watch tim holtz videos on youtube.. i learn so much.

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to crazyaboutscrapping

• crazyaboutscrapping Said:
i watch tim holtz videos on youtube.. i learn so much.

I will have to do that. Is he the distressing head hancho?

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

Tim really is awsome! He has lots of videos! Pealing walpaper sounds neat and I bet you could do it!

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to Cindyckj

Another question...I see under people's names the number of swaps completed. What are swaps?

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

Under the forums tab at top is a section title "Interactive Fun". Click on that and there are sub-headings, one being swaps. I personally have never participated in a swap, but it is where people either make parts of a page, altar something, or even buy small embellishments, etc. and then they send them to each other. You end up with some different goodies.

There is also a section of challenges under interactive fun. That's just where someone puts out a challenge to make a certain style of page, or use some certain thing on a page. It's just a fun way of challenging yourself to step out of your comfort zone, and do something different than what you normally would.

Hope this helps!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• Lunareclipse Said:
can I make something look like peeling wallpaper?

YEP!!!! you sure can!!!!!!! it's YOUR project!

One way to achieve this is to roll the edges a bit,,,corners are good for this,,,,a mist of water can soften it so it rolls better

I did that (along with ink distressing--my personal favorite!) here on the tag on this card

Sugar Creek Hollow Tags challenge By CommaHolly

I also inked the image, here, then clear embossed several layers over top of that,,,,,then bent and cracked it once it was cooled,,,,,,it gives it a sort of cracked glass look,,,,it would have been even better if I'd used UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel), but I didn't know it existed then LOL. You may be able to see the cracking better if you click on the picture,,,,,

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics