Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Scrap box?        (Topic#1580345)
Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse

Should I keep a small box for tiny scraps in case I would need them for making embellies later or should I just toss my scraps? Is worth the trouble to keep tiny scraps or just toss them?

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Lunareclipse

I'm speaking from personal experience here Soooooo if you're going to go back to them and reuse them, then I'd say keep them BUT I'd suggest keeping them in whatever system you'd use to look for them. Otherwise, they'll end up just being a catchall and too much trouble.

My scrap storage system has evolved, and I'm currently storing them sorted by color in a large accordian file with handles. It seems to be working for me.....right now anyway

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

Mine are in one container and I rarely use them because they are such a mess. I need a sorting system for them.

Bonnie (sbartist) has a system I like a lot and I may try to copy hers - it is so organized.

She uses cropper hopper things with different sized pockets on each. She sorts them by color and one pocket is for long strips for borders, one for small pieces and the biggest pocket is for the large pieces. Works really well!

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Henri Jean

No No No...DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT toss your scrap!!

Mine are kept in a clear plastic box with lid and handle and trust me, you'll use it if you put your mind into it. I've been using all my scraps and it's all worth it. I don't keep the really tiny, worthless ones but everything else goes in that plastic container. Of course, is up to you and if you have the space to keep them.. I read a few ideas in a thread about this and the ladies in here were amazing at giving ideas. One that I really enjoy was Ms. Melissa (Kelseymel) blog. Here is her link:

From scraps to treasure

What do you do with your scraps?

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 09-01-12 09:08 PM
In response to GIGIGI30

I too have mine in an accordian type file and they are sorted by color groups. Very handy when I'm just needing a small piece of something...keeps me from cutting up a large piece of paper for just a small item.

I used to have mine in a photo box...I never used them...they were such a mess!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-02-12 04:39 AM
In response to LeeLo

I'm with GIGIGI30 - I use an Artbin case for cardstock scraps. In there I keep a clear envelope for the smaller bits.
My house is the gathering spot for frequent crops so we all use the bin and all contribute too.

When the bin gets so it won't close I go through and weed out the worst.

PP scraps I keep with their group until there aren't enough pieces left to work with.
I used to keep those too but rarely used them so I stopped that.

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to GMFTS

• GMFTS Said:
I'm with GIGIGI30 - I use an Artbin case for cardstock scraps. In there I keep a clear envelope for the smaller bits.
My house is the gathering spot for frequent crops so we all use the bin and all contribute too.

When the bin gets so it won't close I go through and weed out the worst.

PP scraps I keep with their group until there aren't enough pieces left to work with.
I used to keep those too but rarely used them so I stopped that.

What are PP scraps?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Patterned paper.

I keep my scraps in a stack of small Sterilite drawers, sorted by color. Really large scraps stay on the rack they came from, and mid-size stuff too big for the Sterilite drawers all goes in a single plastic shoebox.

Edited by aquabunny on 09-02-12 06:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to aquabunny

I have a 2-drawer Sterlite (clear) container. One drawer is for solid scraps, and the other is for patterned paper. I save my scraps and use them a lot. When my drawers get too full, I go through and toss the smallest pieces. To keep that from happening too often, I have a "too small" rule. If a piece isn't at least 2-3 inches in size to begin with, I toss it (unless it's unique).

Edited by Luvmyfam on 09-02-12 09:02 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama

I have a special box and I use them all the time. I go thru that box almost every time I do a page to see if there is a paper that will coordinate with what I am doing, to make an embellishment, die cut, photo mat. Right now I am working on a book for my mom that the layouts are 8 1/x2 by 8 x 1/2 and I a using up a lot of scraps along with 8x8 paper.

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing
In response to CrimsonMama

I save all mine and use them a lot. I would recommend it for small punched shapes, borders...all sorts of things!

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to ktmracing

I store mine in 2 gallon ziplock bags separated by color. The bags are kept in a storage drawer. The 2 gallon bags hold scraps 12" and smaller. I don't save pieces that are too small to punch a shape. I always dig into my scrap bin before cutting into a full sheet of paper.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Judy_Scraps

in my experience, scraps that are organized get used,,,,,scraps that are dumped in a big tub, do not.

so a few months back, I took 8 zip lock bags and orgnized by color

black/white
orange/yellow
pink/red
cream/beige/brown
blue/green
purple/violet
gray/silver
and Christmas scraps (all colors)

(pp goes in the bag correlating to the most color in the pp OR if there's equal amounts, whichever I feel like OR if there's enough of the paper, one of each bag--pink and green paper would go in pink/red and also blue/green if I have enough of the paper)

I then hung the bags open on the wall in front of where I do my cutting using simple push pins.

simple as pie to find the color scrap I want, and easy peasy to put them away too,,,

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

oh, and any paper too small to make a flower or a border from gets tossed,,,,unless I'm in love with it and think I can do SOMETHING with it LOL

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CommaHolly

I may have to buy some big ziploc bags. It is true, if they aren't organized, they don't get used.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Henri Jean

May try the bag thingy. Mine are in a shoe box now and noticed they need sorted again.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to prittb

I went through my scraps the other day and got three cards out of it. i bet there are even more in there i just have to llik harder.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 09-03-12 11:33 AM
In response to cescrapper

Just an FYI...those of you using the larger zip lock bags (2 gal or so)...you can buy those at the Dollar Tree (at least they have them in stock most of the time). They are $1 a box! I can't remember how many but it seems like there were somewhere between 10-15 in the box. I use them to keep groups of supplies together that I want to use on a certain project.

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to cescrapper

I use my scrap file more than anything! I have a concertina file with a section for each colour including gold, silver, white and black. Inside each I also keep a 6x6 page protector or a similar sized bag containing the little pieces which would otherwise disappear to the bottom.

I go to the tiny pieces first if I'm wanting to punch a small shape. When they turn into paper lace and start catching on everything and annoying me, I punch the last little bits out of them and toss the remainder.

The punched shapes go into pill boxes with different sections for each day. I got them at a $ store - so useful. When they get filled up, I have a grand card-making session, or give the shapes to my niece.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to LeeLo

• LeeLo Said:
Just an FYI...those of you using the larger zip lock bags (2 gal or so)...you can buy those at the Dollar Tree (at least they have them in stock most of the time). They are $1 a box!

Good to know! I don't buy them often but when I do I always get them at Wally World. They charge almost $3.00 a box.

They're good for making page kits too (a little big but much cheaper than buying page planners).
Products Referenced in This Post:

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics