Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Ok, I know this has been asked so MANY times        (Topic#1580443)
lilmrmaid
Angel
lilmrmaid

but how does everyone organize their papers??

I have some by manufacturer and some by category. For categories I have: family (sister, brother, mother, father, family, grandmother, grandfather, cousins), boy, girl, school, sports, graduation and prom, seasons, holidays, birthday

But I have a huge pile (approx. 10 inches high) of odd and end papers, such as flowers, stripes, solids, dots. So how do you do them??

Thanks for any suggestions.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-05-12 05:44 PM
In response to lilmrmaid

I know it comes up a lot but I still like to talk about organizing

I will NEVER understand how or why people can organize their paper by manufacturer, but I just don't think or scrap in those terms, it doesn't make any sense to me. Anywhoo -

I do themes: circles and dots, stripes and plaids, flowers, retro, ornate, tropical/tiki, kitchen/food/cooking, holiday, etc. Whatever makes sense to me. All the plain cardstock is in ROYGBIV order. All the solid color but distress patterned stuff (mostly Basic Grey, now that I think about it) is separate and also in ROYGBIV order. All the vellums are in their own section, and Core'dinations papers have their own section as well.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to stick

solids: ROYGBIV order

patterned paper: by collection first (that way the papers are easier to mix and match), and then by predominant colors or color combos (i.e. blue/brown, pink/gray and so on

cropper hoppers are my friend

danigirl786
Veteran
danigirl786
In response to stick

So funny that you say that about sorting by manufacturer Stick,because I don't get sorting by color! It drives me crazy that way because I tend to think in terms of style of paper, or what types of finishes and/or patterns go together rather than colors going together. Distressed vs clean, heritage vs geometric, whimsical vs graphic/modern etc. And for me it makes much more sense to my perfectionistic brain to sort by collection and manufacturer because all the papers already match in style/finish. It is distracting to me to have different styles of pp in one LO. I can appreciate it in others' LOs however.
So OP, that probably didn't really help you at all, did it?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to madmatter

Like stick above, I don't get organizing by manufacturer. Doesn't make sense to me either. I don't think in those terms or even know which manufacturer most are.

I'm organized by themes mostly - holidays, baby, food, USA, International, cruise, tropical, gen travel. Then I have three huge bins of misc which is the dots and stripes and that sort of thing. I keep saying I'm not going to buy anything for the misc. bins, yet the bins keep getting fuller!

I have one really big bin for misc. themes - hospital visits, pets and animals, things that don't go anywhere else becuase there isn't enough of each of them. There are ones for shooting pool, playing chess, just stuff that doens't go anywhere else.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to stick

I think in colors, so I have Iris-type boxes in ROYGBIV order in 2 stands that are stacked on top of each other. For patterns, they go in the color that I think of when I look at the paper. I know when I look at a paper that I'm going to want it with blue or yellow or...

ROYGBIV ends out being: Red/pink; 2 boxes for Orange/brown; Yellow/gold; Green; Blue; Indigo/violet/purples all together so I have more boxes for whites, etc.

I have a box of white, box of black/gray/silver and a box of scraps, plus a box of misc. papers...vellum, transparencies, doilies, backings from paper pads that I can use for chipboard.

I have a box of Christmas, one of Halloween, one for travel and a Disney because I have a lot of those themes. The travel one is in alphabetical state/province/country order.

I have one box that is assorted themes and I just know what mine are—baby, birthday, fall. Not too much really goes in there since I can use themed paper for something totally different than what it was intended. If it has a birthday candle, leaves or a turkey on it, it goes here, otherwise it goes in a color-paper box lol There are a few..and only a few...of varied-color papers in here—ones that have so many colors that a particular color doesn't jump out at me, but that doesn't happen often.

When I start picking out papers for a LO, I usually pick out my main background, then go to the scrap box and the assorted themes box to see if there are any papers there I can use...then I start looking in the ROYGBIV boxes.

I tear my stacks apart as soon as I buy them and put them in their color of box. I keep my pp and cs together. I keep the front of the stack and have a thin 12x12 box that metallic papers came in and I put all of the stack/mat/package fronts in there. If I need to match a paper, it's easy to go through my box of fronts and find what stack it goes with. Hubby can even take the paper front to the store with him, if he goes on my emergency paper run for me :>) ~Judy

(Unfortunately I have a pile about 2 or 3 feet high of paper in another room that I don't have space for. That I just go browsing through from time to time so I remember what is there. Eventually I'll get hubby & his computer out of my scrap room and I'll get moved back in and have enough space to have more Iris boxes. Or maybe...I'll make enough LOs to use it all. Yeah, right...)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

I think we have totally confused the poster.

There is no right way or wrong way. You have to file your papers according to the way you are going to use them.

If you go to manufacturers and collections and scrap that way, then you need to sort and file that way.

If you go to colors or patterns or themes to work on your layout, then you need to file that way.

I have at least 3,000-4,000 sheets of patterned paper, can't tell you one of the manufacturer's other than some of the little dotted swiss-looking Bo Bunny. The rest is totally unidentifiable to me.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I also tear my stacks apart as soon as I get them. I don't want to flip through stacks to find what I want - I want it already loose!

But again, the only thing that will work for you is if you file the way you scrap.

lilmrmaid
Angel
lilmrmaid

Thanks for all the input, I am not confused. LOL

I love bo bunny and doodlebug papers and just know by looking at the paper that it is from those lines. I have those by manufacturers, otherwise, they are by categories. I just have this huge pile that doesn't really fit anywhere. LOL

JazzieLynne
Veteran
JazzieLynne
In response to lilmrmaid

I organize my full sheets of printed paper by brand and my SCRAPS and solid colours {core'dinations, bazzill, etc} by colour. To organize the scraps by colour I pick whatever the majority colour is in the pattern. I am currently re-vamping my 'full sheets', but here is a pic of my scraps organizer.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to JazzieLynne

most of my patterned paper is by theme or color. I have kept some by manufacturer together, ie Bo Bunny as I have all the embellishments to go with them. My cardstock and scraps are by color. Good luck with your organizing.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 09-05-12 07:38 PM
In response to SandraB.

i am one of those people who organize by manufacturer. I know what I like and buy from them. Cardstock is by color. I have vertical files and use those for all my paper.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to charK

Both theme and colour for me. Majority of me paper is by colour. But I have themes for xmas, seasonal, pets, baby, odd shapes, stripes and dots. Each clear scraptray is labeled. So I have a good over view of what is what. I need this kind of organizing otherwise its chaos for me.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to TheCharmedOne

I agree with everyone that said you should organize your paper the way you're going to look for it when you're ready to scrap.

For me, cardstock is ROYGBIV and pp's are by color with certain themes separated out (Christmas, pets etc)

Do what works for you, keeping in mind that you may tweak it a few times after you start working with it.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 09-06-12 03:49 AM
In response to Kim222

I think it's best to organize by the way you scrap. For me, that's by manufacturer. I find that way easiest because that's how I scrap most of the times, by pulling out a collection I love by a particular manufacturer.

As to what to do with the odds and end left over after you've organized the majority of your stash, I would say: what would make you think about those papers? Would you say to yourself: I think a floral pp would look good here? If so, then start a floral category. Do you tend to like dots and stripes together (I do!), then make a dots and stripes category. Even if your categories are pretty thin with paper, it still helps to organize them (if you have time).

I keep an Iris box labeled "new" and that's a great catch-all for me for new products that aren't part of a collection as I sometimes just buy a piece here or there from a manufacturer, but not the whole collection.

Diva
In response to IzzyB

I do it by color and the patterned paper by theme. I keep the paper kits together and when I buy the pack ( 12x12 books) I keep them together as well. I have a special drawer for the special paper, vellum, fabric paper, mulberry, etc.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to bayamonesa1

Wow!!!! I can't believe any of you tear your stacks apart right away! Because to me, all of the paper in a stack is already coordinated together, theme, color, design wise. Single sheet paper, is another thing, and I have those (sort of) divided by theme or what I intend to use it for.

I did just creat a excel spreadsheet and did an inventory of my pads, packs, kits and cardstock with a short description of each, name, manufacture, size.

My pads are standing on their side in a bookcase and I can just slide them out, flip through them and review what's in it. I usually know what pads or kits I'm going to use from once I pick the photo(s) I going to scrap. I would be totally lost if I tore the pads apart! I can't get my mind around that.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to CrimsonMama

Also, I should say this. I have 12x12 boxes that are themes. For example, motorcycle, football, dog boxes. Themed paper for that along with embellies are all in that box, because they are so theme specific. I hope that makes sense.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

For me, depends on the stack. I kept Timeless Type and Tattered Time together, but separated one of the DCWV Photo Real stacks because it isn't really meant to be coordinated.

papermouse
Veteran
papermouse

You're supposed to organize your paper?!?

I have cardstock by color and everything else just thrown in my paper display towers (I lucked out on Craigslist)...so I can see most stuff easily. I keep my stacks together too, and just put the whole stack on one of the shelves...why tear them apart if all the matching work is already done for you?

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics