Page 5 of 8 
Username Post: Scrappy Weekend        (Topic#1580487)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

I haveen't canned anything in years and I used to enjoy it. Mostly put up cinnamon apples and peach and apple pie filling, occasionally jams or jellys.

My sister-in-law and I used to sit all evening sometimes just peeling fruit.

My mother makes strawberry preserves still but they are quick and easy and they are made with figs and strawberry gelatin put don't tell my brothers - or anyone else in the family. They all think they are eating strawberry preserves!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Henri Jean

Hahaha Henri, that is funny that your mom changed the preserves.

This season, I have canned 250+ quarts of different pickles,20 quarts of beans, 15 quarts of elderberry syrup, 16 pints if cream of mushroom soup, pickle relish, and also made over 30 meals for the freezer and some for my parents ad well.

Thank goodness my parents made the tomato juice, made freezer corn and canned the potatoes this year. My brother made the salsa.

Today I helped my parents make a batch of spaghetti sauce and some stewed tomatoes. Then I came home and made raspberry jalapeño jam and jalapeño relish.

I have to play in my scrap room now....I'm all out of jars.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb

Henri, are you still in Florida? When are you leaving? I'm going back to stay with my DD in Tampa for a week soon. I've invited a friend of mine to go with me. If she doesnt go and I get brave enough to go on a roadtrip with my SILs car, I may have to make my way to Ocala and have lunch of something.

My SIL is going to NYC for a week, so it will be just us girls. It will be fun.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-29-12 08:50 PM
In response to SherylEb

So I've been following this thread, and I tried... REALLY tried to make some page kits. My problem is that once I decide which papers and everything I'm going to use and how I want the pictures to be arranged, I don't want to wait to go to a crop! I want to glue it down now and finish it up. It always seems like the choosing and arranging takes me the longest, but once I decide how it will be, it only takes me about 10 minutes to glue it all down, and I figure, why wait?

I really do want to go to a crop because I have more creative energy when I'm around other people. But at the same time, I love having all my stuff around me and I couldn't possibly pack it all up to take with me. I just have too much stuff and I never really know what all I will need until it's done. Half the time, even when I think it's done, I still go back and add something. :P

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to Vae

Peg, when on earth did you have time to do all that canning? Not to mention the gardening and harvesting that goes along with it! My hat's off to you, because I know first hand how hard and time consuming that all is!! But you will be eating all winter!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Juansmom

Nothing is as good as the stuff you can yourself Peg! But boy, it is a lot of work! My mother and sister-in-law still put up a little bit but not much anymore.

Sheryl, swing by and see me! We are about 5 minutes from the interstate (I-75). If you get off the interstate at our exit within 2 blocks is a Red Lobster (but not a good one - some are decent but I don't like this one), an Olive Garden, Ruby TUesday, Applebee's and a few more blocks to Sonny's. There are at least a dozen other restaurants near the interstate. There is a Chili's and another Mexican restaurant and, can't think of the name and a Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel. There is a Cody's Roadhouse - so stop whether you are along or with your friend - doesn't matter.

Its hard for me not to finish the layouts too Jaravae and most take 10-15 minutes to finish but if I have 3 or 4 of them, that's an easy hour. If I have 20 of them - that 4 or 5 hours I've saved at home. And I get to enjoy the crops without hauling so much stuff!

One big advantage I find is that when I reaarange them, since I haven't seen them in a while I'm looking at them witih a fresh eye and I see changes or things to add. It gives me one final time to see them to decide if I want to do anything different. One time I ran into the store and bought different paper - when I looked at it there I didn't like theh paper I had chosen to go with it.

I've got myself into a mindset of, "Oh boy - its ready to mat and glue and possibly make letters if I'm' using my Slice - now I get to start a new one" and I put it away and get excited over the next one. By then I'm tired of the one I'm working on.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Juansmom

• Juansmom Said:
Peg, when on earth did you have time to do all that canning? Not to mention the gardening and harvesting that goes along with it! My hat's off to you, because I know first hand how hard and time consuming that all is!! But you will be eating all winter!!

It is a lot of work but so worth it in the end. Where do I find the time? It's called living a boring life.

DH does a lot of the gardening. We plant together and try to keep it up together but he gets done with work much earlier so that's a good job for him.

Then you have to be willing to have a few weeks of only being able to surface clean and keep up with the laundry.

But the way I look at it is that I have at least $800 of pickles in the pantry that maybe cost $50 to make (not including jars which have been in the family for years) AND they taste soooooo much better than store bought (IMO)

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

• Henri Jean Said:

One big advantage I find is that when I reaarange them, since I haven't seen them in a while I'm looking at them witih a fresh eye and I see changes or things to add. It gives me one final time to see them to decide if I want to do anything different. One time I ran into the store and bought different paper - when I looked at it there I didn't like theh paper I had chosen to go with it.

See this is the problem I run into...that I won't like the paper that I picked because I'm in a different mood or just don't like it. Then what do I do when my paper stash is 2.5 hours away and I'm at a Bed & Breakfast in the middle of nowhere?

But I have to do it. There is no way I can bring all of my paper. I have one kit almost assembled, just need to put a few other sheets of CS in there.

I think what I am going to do is assemble kits with pp, cs and embellishments that I had in mind for those pics. Then I'm going to pack some extra CS and just a couple (couple is a relative terms lol) of my favorite PP stacks in case I change my mind about the paper I picked. I'm already planning on bringing my embellishment tote so I'm covered there.

Less than 5 weeks!!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

That sounds like so much fun Peg.

I like the crops where you can buy stuff - but a lot of the weekend ones don't have that option. Sometimes I will pack two or three different papers for a layout if I can't quite decide and then narrow it down when I start working on it.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Yes, it is a blast! However, it will be our last year at this particular retreat.

Next year, we will be going to the opposite end of the state, but it will be in a major city, close to scrappy shops. That will be fun too.

Although, being locked away at a bed & breakfast in the middle of nowhere, lets one get a lot of scrapping done.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:

But the way I look at it is that I have at least $800 of pickles in the pantry that maybe cost $50 to make (not including jars which have been in the family for years) AND they taste soooooo much better than store bought (IMO)

WoW!! Thats sounds like a LOT of work Peg!! Good for you!!

I LOOOVE pickles!! There is a pickle guy that has a booth at most of the craft fairs and he must have 20 different flavors of pickles. They are SOOOOO good and soooo much better than the store bought variety....even though I buy and eat those all the time, too!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

So I went to a 10 hour crop this weekend (with my NEW WAGON!!) and guess how many pages I scrapped?!?!? If you guessed ZERO, you win!!

However, I did get 5 pages done in my art journal!! I had soooo much fun playing with paints and inks and sprays and stamps and stencils and embossing powders and UTEE and brushes and sponges and and and

Of course I didn't need MORE than half of what I brought and I packed the entire back of my little SUV (with the rear seats down!).

Here's the challenge now.....I have to pack myself and my friend into my car with scrap stuff AND incidentals (like clothes!) for our weekend get away crop in 3 weeks. I tried to tell her we may need to take 2 cars but she was having none of that. I even hinted that we could strap her to the roof rack, but that didn't go over well either

There will be 3 or 4 vendors there, but no scrappy stores around, so you all understand my dilema?!

How does a page kit challenged scrapper pack for 3 days and 2 nights of scrapping AND still have leave room for her friends stuff too?!

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

Rent a u-haul?

Only kidding! I go to crops with a friend and we have her Jeep Cherokee filled to the roof but it is abouty 75% her stuff. But if I need anything she lends it to me.

Rather than both of us take our Cricuts and our Big Shots and other larger items she likes to take hers so I just take a new mat in case I want to use her Cricut.

Its really different if there isn't any place to buy stuff.

I dont' know what to tell you about clothes becuase I've never been to an overnight crop. However I'd cut back on clothes to have more room for scrap supplies!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

What Henri said - from renting a u-haul to pack lightly on clothes so you have more room for supplies.

I am with you on being page kit challenged. I'm trying, I'm really, really trying. Some pics have been easier to pick for, others I'm setting aside and hoping I'm in the mood for picking papers for those in the next couple of weeks.

Last year, we took a mini-van with three people. Luckily, one of the girls didn't have much. I think my stuff took up two thirds of the back (with 3rd row of seats out), probably more, who's keeping track?

All I have for clothes is one small backpack. Of course, we don't go anywhere during this retreat so I don't need a lot of clothes.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to pugs223

Huh,....how much can one of those little bitty attach to your car u-haul thingys be?!?!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

We won't be going anywhere other than the scrap room, either, so clothes will be easy.

There will be 4 vendors there, but what if they don't have the exact ________ I need?! And it will be even worse if I know I have that ______ at home!

I think I'm just gonna have to figure out how to fit a lot of stuff in the smallest amount of room possible. Someone should give a class in creative packing.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-02-12 06:17 AM
In response to Kim222

I think someone else mentioned sticking to one theme... do you have a whole bunch of things that are related that you can work on? Like all holidays or all school pics or all... I dunno? I love wine, and so I go on winery tours and things like that as often as I can. So I have probably at least two boxes full of wine-related photos, and another two IRIS boxes full of winery papers and embellies. I could probably just take those and a ton of cardstock and be good for 3 days. If you could narrow it down to a theme, or even a season, that might help. Maybe if you're doing a lot of summer pics you could bring papers that are summer-ish?

I've never been to a crop so I'm no expert. I wish you luck! You could take pics of your car all loaded/scrap area when you get there and do some fun layouts about the experience later

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
We won't be going anywhere other than the scrap room, either, so clothes will be easy.

There will be 4 vendors there, but what if they don't have the exact ________ I need?! And it will be even worse if I know I have that ______ at home!

I think I'm just gonna have to figure out how to fit a lot of stuff in the smallest amount of room possible. Someone should give a class in creative packing.

There's two ways to handle that...do as much on the LO as you can and finish when you get home with the perfect item you know you have.

OR

Find something from the vendor that is even better.

As for packing, thankfully, it's just two of you in the vehicle. Does the backseat fold down?

Seriously, last year I took two huge rubbermaid totes of paper, my rolling toolbox, another suitcase of store bought page kits, my cricut E, 3 tote bags of albums, extra pages, and random paper, my rolling tote of embellishments, my file holder thing of chipboard stickers/jolee kind of items, my caboodle, a small backpack of clothes and a few other random items.

I promised myself I would not do that again.

So see what you and your friend could possibly share, and then find the best totes/boxes/bags that will easily stack to utilize every inch of cargo space you have

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

That is a space saving hint that can save space - don't take 2 Cricuts or 2 Big Shots or 2 of any large tools that you can share.

I put the pages I'm working on in the 12 x 12 plastic cases with the handles - I don't take any albums anymore.

Actually I didn't use my Slice at the last 3 crops so this may be the last crop I take it to and in the future leave it at home. I can always make my letters here at home before I go. I do take quite a few sets of sticky alpha letters with me so I can use those if I don't have my Slice.

I have been taking my Cropidile and all the eyelets with me but I think that will start staying home unless I know I'm going to need it for a page.

Cricutgirlg
Expert
Cricutgirlg
In response to RedSquirrel

I've done several all day crops and a few 3 day retreats. I can get a lot done because I only do pages kits that I make. I draw my own sketches and pull my papers and create and cut titles and embellishments. I got 68 pages done at a 3 retreats and they had tons of details and 3 d embellishments and plan everything for the page before I pack it. This has helped me tremendously because I like to socialize and move around pe planning my kits give me the ability to get things done and to have fun.

Page 5 of 8 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics