Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Sizzix Big Shot        (Topic#1580517)
SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT

I'm sorry, ladies and gents, here is another boring question from me....

I recently purchased the Big Shot and I am wondering what are some of the dies and embossing plates I must have, the ones you use the most or is the most versatile. I know that other brands of dies and plates can be used with it, please include those brands.

Thank you!!!!

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to SoonerT

Spellbinders nestabilities.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-08-12 08:35 AM
In response to angie girl

You have a LOT to choose from, and what I find useful you may not, and vice versa, so you'll just have to go and look at all of them I have something from almost all of these brands, or something on my wish list to buy, they all have wonderful things. And believe it or not, this is not a complete list:

Sizzix
Spellbinders
My Favorite Things
Quickutz/Lifestyle Crafts
CC Designs
Memory Box
CottagCutz
Cuttlebug/Provocraft
Cheery Lynn
Marianne
Die-Versions
Couture Creations
Darice
Impression Obsession
La-La Land
Magnolia Dies

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-08-12 08:43 AM
In response to stick

And don't forget ebay. Three of my most favorite dies are discontinued Sizzix Originals (Parchment, Scroll, and Wood Sign).

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to stick

I love my th bird cage and my nestabilities

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to Sneezy1956

I started with basic shapes like circles and ovals and branched out from there. My first embossing folders where also basics that I thought were universal. Then I added shapes and dies that appealed to me and fit my papercrafting style...
Products Referenced in This Post:

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to traceyjean

if it says spellbinders and you like it,,,,,,buy it. But you won't be able to cut the largest one or two of the Grand nesties, so keep that in mind before paying for those pricey ticket items.

I agree to also check out Marianne Createables, Memory Box are a particular favorite,,,,and Cottage Cutz,,,,,,also dies made by spellbinders that fit stamp sets are nice,,,,,Heartfelt Creations and Justrite are two I can think of off the top of my head,,,,,

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CommaHolly

My favorite embossing folder is Hawaiian Shirt by Cuttlebug. It is so cute - very tropical with the monstera leaves and other tropical things.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Henri Jean

I have almost all of the framelits from Stampin' Up. I LOVE LOVE LOVE framelits!!!! My favorite embossing folder is the new Stampin' Up chevron folder!!!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to binkiemonstermom

like stick said, i think its a matter of personal preference. i'd say take a look at whats out there and start off with what you think you'll get the most mileage out of. then go from there.

my first dies were basic shapes, but now my (ever growing!) collection includes very specific shapes that i may not get as many uses from as the basics, but definitely more than two or three times.

as for embossing folders, i dont think you can go wrong with any of the patterns. they are so versatile! great for card fronts, for die cut pieces, for using with ink and/or paint for a letterpress look etc.

have fun and enjoy your new found addiction

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to Kim222

Thanks to everyone for your help. I now have a list to work from.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to SoonerT

OH!!!! And I can't wait to get to using it, I am learning and yearning to layer (not sure that is the correct term) around photos and page edges, etc....

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

• CommaHolly Said:
if it says spellbinders and you like it,,,,,,buy it. But you won't be able to cut the largest one or two of the Grand nesties, so keep that in mind before paying for those pricey ticket items.

I actually like the QuicKutz/Lifestyle Crafts nestable dies for this reason, although I do own a bunch of Spellbinders as well.
The nestable circles from QuicKutz has more sizes, is about the same price or cheaper and the largest one cuts 5 1/2 inches (which will fit in the BigShot). Whereas the regular Spellbinders has fewer dies in the set and the largest one only cuts 3 3/4 inches.

To OP, just browse through the store here...as pp have said, there are sooo many to choose from!
Happy Shopping!

Alison

Edited by kiyawinn on 09-10-12 06:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to kiyawinn

Checking into that right now.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to SoonerT

do those QK dies emboss the edge like spellbinders though? I've wondered about that,,,,I'd like to try some for that reason,,,,but I didn't know,,,I really like the embossing.

I just found a die I am DYING to have (pun intended LOL) it's the Cottage Cutz Tea Time doily,,,,,,,oh my, I am in love! LOL

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I haven't found too many sets that have more,,,,,the nesting circles, in fact, have only 5 dies,,,,my spellbinders has 7, I believe,,,of course, it depends on size,,,,,the smallest ones are the ones I rarely use, for some reason.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

Make sure you look over all the Tim Holtz's dies, amazing versatility and they are so cool.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Sneezy1956

I don't like those too much,,,,,isn't that odd?? I mean there's a few I like,,,,,,but again, I really like the embossed edges and his don't have that,,,,personal preference,,,,,,there's no accounting for my taste

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

• CommaHolly Said:
I haven't found too many sets that have more,,,,,the nesting circles, in fact, have only 5 dies,,,,my spellbinders has 7, I believe,,,of course, it depends on size,,,,,the smallest ones are the ones I rarely use, for some reason.

Hi Holly, I wasn't sure what you meant by the above statement....were you talking about the QuicKutz? Because they do have a lot more than the Spellbinders...the QuicKutz circles actually has 20 different sizes in the package.....some of the others have 14 or 17 dies....
For your previous question.....they do emboss a small bit on the outer edge when you cut, not quite like the Spellbinders, though.....

Alison

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to kiyawinn

that's strange LOL,,,the circles set I'm looking at appears to have five dies,,,,,,,odd

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics