Username Post: Black and White Photos        (Topic#1580529)
dkwagner
New Kid On the Block
dkwagner

I am finishing my book, Simply Scrap. I'm looking for creative ways of incorporating black and white photos, tips on photos, or layouts to include in the book.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to dkwagner

do a search in the gallery for black and white photos

Go to Gallery tab: Layouts tag; Photo info; Subcategory black & white

Edited by Just G on 09-08-12 08:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to dkwagner

• dkwagner Said:
I am finishing my book, Simply Scrap. I'm looking for creative ways of incorporating black and white photos, tips on photos, or layouts to include in the book.

I'm sorry, did you just ask for layouts to include in your book?

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to aquabunny

Are you talking about your personal scrapbook, or a book you will be selling for profit?

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Just G

• Just G Said:
do a search in the gallery for black and white photos

Go to Gallery tab: Layouts tag; Photo info; Subcategory black & white

While that's useful for gathering topics and things to include in writing form, many people here would be PISSED if the OP used gallery images in her book without prior consent and discussion.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to angie girl

Tips on photos... There are no shortcuts to good black and white photography. Learn what makes a good exposure and good contrast. Learn about composition and how tonal values come into play when shooting black and white. And learn that a gradient map is one of the worst ways to change a photo to black and white in Photoshop. Second only to changing the color mode to grayscale.

dkwagner
New Kid On the Block
dkwagner
In response to photo_chick

I just want to clarify. Using layouts from a website without consent would be wrong legally and ethically. That's not what I am doing or looking for. I am writing a book, not designing a scrapbook. I have my own examples, thoughts, and tips. What I was looking for was little style differences that others might have that maybe differ from what I've found. For example, I like to use black and white photos on pages to give the page a antique look, whereas other times I use them to give the page a formal edge.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to dkwagner

If that's what you mean, then you should be more careful in your phrasing and not say things like "I'm looking for [...] layouts to include in the book."

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to aquabunny

And if it's about layouts specifically and not how to get great shots for them then the photo board may not be the best place to ask.

dkwagner
New Kid On the Block
dkwagner

It isn't just about layouts at all. Taking good photos is a part of scrapbooking just as much as putting the pages together.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to dkwagner

Then really, there are tons of great resources out there on how to improve your black and white photographs. It's the original form of film photography and what is required to make a good film print is the same for digital. You could consult Photography by Upton, London et al. for a resource. And Ansel Adams wrote a great series on black and white.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007

I think the best way to learn how others make good black and white photos. Is to maybe contact photogrphers. Or look some photographers on google. For me a good black and white photo is good contrast and lighting. Also, the subjut I am shooting and where I am shooting. I have studied a little bit of black and white photography in college. But not a professional photographer. I am still kind of the "new kid" in the photography world. But think I take good decent photos. People say I have eye for it. Good luck with the book hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Justie

max28
max28 
Tenant
max28
  • max28 on 12-14-12 10:29 AM
In response to justartguy007

I agree with justartguy007, you should get some impressions from professional photographers and learn the process. There really is a huge difference between great black/white pictures and just turning it into grey scale

tbross71
Veteran
tbross71
In response to dkwagner

I use lot of my parents old photo's when scrapping and Ive got 2 on here one of my mother and the other my father-n-law. you can view them in my gallery and if you would like to use these layouts in your book I would be honored nor would I want money in return.... just let me know I would purchase a book from you. I'm always on the look out to be inspired by photos or layouts.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics