Username Post: Whats the best way to copy my old photos?        (Topic#1580559)
New Kid On the Block

I have a bunch of old photos from my parents/grandparents that I am scrapbooking. (My first project!) I don't want to use the original photos, but I haven't been able to make copies that match the look and feel of the originals. I've scanned the photos into my computer and used photo paper with my printer at home and with the photocopier at work, (both glossy and matte paper) but I haven't been too happy with the results. Is there something different I should be doing or using or do I just need to get a much better printer? Any help is much appreciated!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to sewood7068

If you have an Archiver's nearby, they do good color copies.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

It also depends on the quality of photo paper you're using. I have 2 HP printers. For prints that I want top-quality, I use HP's Advanced Photo Paper. It costs more, but so worth it! I have HP's cheaper paper for printing embellishments or things that I don't care if they are the best quality. I think most printer brands have their own paper brands~

When I get around to doing my family heritage pages I also wasn't going to use the original picture, but then I thought...what else am I going to do with the pictures? I'll definitely scan them and save them to several drives, plus put them on DVDs to give to other family members, but I'll probably use the original pics. The only time I'm not planning to use the original is if I want to cut the photo, but if an uncut original is put into a scrapbook, it's where people can enjoy it, protected by the page protector and probably taken better care of than if it's put somewhere in a box. Just a thot ~ Judy

New Kid On the Block
In response to aquabunny

I'll look into the archivers! I have been using the cheaper photo paper, so I'll make another trip to the store for the good stuff. You also have a good point about using the original photos in the layouts. I may decide to do that - especially with some of them that are obviously less special - the everyday photos - it would be so much easier. Thanks!

Sandra

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit

I don't know what kind of scanner you have, but a tip that I picked up from a book on my Epson printer suggested that when using a scanner I should scan my old B&W photos in the Color mode rather than in Gray scale. You might try that and see if it helps.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to Ms. Fit

Go to your local photographer shop and ask them to make copies of yer old photo's. They do magic if you got the proper shop. The good ones, make the copies so, that you hardly can tell the difference between the original and copy.

This way, you can use the copies without feeling guilty for using the photo's.

Diva
In response to TheCharmedOne

I don't have money so I scan them at home and make a Cd of my copies, put them in a box and if there is any emergency, I will take my box of cd!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to bayamonesa1

After you've scanned and corrected the colour, try getting matte finish photo paper rather than gloss, or try printing on regular card-stock. Maybe off-white. You might find that gives a more authentic finish.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:

When I get around to doing my family heritage pages I also wasn't going to use the original picture, but then I thought...what else am I going to do with the pictures? I'll definitely scan them and save them to several drives, plus put them on DVDs to give to other family members, but I'll probably use the original pics. The only time I'm not planning to use the original is if I want to cut the photo, but if an uncut original is put into a scrapbook, it's where people can enjoy it, protected by the page protector and probably taken better care of than if it's put somewhere in a box. Just a thot ~ Judy

I totally agree. I scan, then scrap the originals.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to cindy312

I also scan my old photos and then use the originals in the scrapbook but I don't cut them.

Like Judy, I think they will get the best care in my albums with the page protectors and they will be enjoyed. I don't think it does much for them just to have them in a box.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Henri Jean

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I went ahead and started using the originals (after I scanned them) and they turned out great.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

Oops, I was trying to find the Like button Glad it's working for you~Judy

max28
max28 
Tenant
max28
  • max28 on 12-15-12 10:25 AM
In response to mrsdriver5

That's a bit late, but I would scan them in the highest quality possible and let them print out with an online photo service. From my experiences, very cheap and good quality solution.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics