Username Post: Help with Paper        (Topic#1580615)
CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for vintage newsprint paper, prefer the buff and black rather than black and white. But....I really want it to be 8.5 x 11 inches. I really do NOT want 12x12 (see below) and have to cut it. I have looked at SB.com and the big boxes as well. The only thing I found in 8.5 x 11 is at M's their Recollections brand in a variety pack of 60 sheets, so most of the pack is not newsprint, it's other prints I don't want. If anyone knows a brand, site etc. where I can shop for this PM me please. I googled it last night, found an image but not a place to buy it.

I want this for a genealogy book which I will be doing a littl bit of "scrapy" stuff in, but having standard letter size would be soooooo helpful!

TIA, have a great day!
Vicki

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to CrimsonMama

How adventurous are you? You could create your own “newspaper” paper and then run down to your local office supply store and get printouts. You could even add titles, photos & news stories relating to your family.
If you need more help on how to create a file shoot me a PM.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Gelidy Gelato

The idea to make your own is a good one.....
I have not seen 8 1/2 x 11 newsprint in my travels.
I do have the Bazzill one you show above and it is truly newsprint weight, BTW. Some of the others are more like patterned paper or cardstock weight......
Good luck!
Alison

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to kiyawinn

You might also run to your library and see if they sell their really really old books they would work well.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Sneezy1956

Um, or if you're going to go that route, try a used bookstore like Half-Price Books rather than a library. If a library has really old books on hand it's typically for reasons of rarity or intrinsic or informational value.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to aquabunny

These are good ideas. I had thought about creating it myself, but not the point that I could create it, and then take it and have some printed. I think that is what I would do rather than printing it at home and using my printer ink.

The weight could be cardstock weight, but actually would be even better for it to be newspaper weight. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks for the responses and ideas! I actually thought this would be easier to find that it is.
Vicki

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

THe libraries around Georgia order way too many copies of new books when they first come out to meet the demand. As they wane in populararity the library has big sale days and sells them. They may be just a year or two old and big title hardbacks like John Grisham and Jame Patterson can sell for 50 cents to a dollar. All the previous years' Martha Stewart magazines go for a dime each.

I have a friend who volunteers at the annual library sale every year when they clean out space to make room for the new stuff.

I didn't know they sold books like that but it was explained to me that they buy a lot of copies of new books on the best seller list becuase the needs for when the book comes out and the need a couple years later is very different.

After the sale they just have the number of copies left that they need. I did not know that they do that - just learned a few years ago.

Great place to buy some slightly back-issue magazines at a cheap price. People love to volunteer to work the library sales becuase they get to shop for what they want the day before or night before it opens to the public. I have one friend who always volunteers and gets everything she wants first - fills up the back seat of her car with hardbacks and magazines for almost nothing.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to Henri Jean

Papermania has a whole line called Typeprint. Its all about newspapers, magazine articles, leaflets ect. It does have the black n white but it is easily transformed into a vintage look with the distress inks by Tim Holtz.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to TheCharmedOne

Coooool! Thanks so much I will look into that.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

Henri our library does a lot of sales like that I got several books that I have altered that way.

Tenant
In response to Sneezy1956

Thrift shops can also be a great place to get aged books!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to PaperTulip

Aged books are a great source for some really cool embellishments for scrapbooking pages. Try flea markets or antique shops, yard sales too!

Stampin' Up has a newpaper line called First Edition. It is black and very vanilla (cream) colored. Although it does not look like it online, it is cream, and the description lists the color as Very Vanilla. With a little bit of ink around the edges, you would have a vintage newspaper!!!!

Diva
In response to binkiemonstermom

Great idea on creating your own one. I would love to see the results. I might be brave and try it. Otherwise it can dye with tea to be more vintage if you have a white and black one.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to binkiemonstermom

Thank you binkie!
I like the First Edition but it is also 12x12. It would work but in this case I would love to find the 8.5x11. Still I am keeping it in my list just in case.

I think I have figured out a way to make it myself, or I thought of a way, I will have to experiment. A old historic newspaper in my hometown has on line historic newspapers from the 50's and 60's, which I ran across in doing my ancestry work. I think I can use those images which are PDF's and print on anything I want.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Mention of the historic newspaper prompted a search on my part....only because it sounds soo cool! And I will be doing a heritage/genealogy album soon....
I found this,
http://newspaperarchive.com/
You can browse by State or for other countries. I'm in Canada and I found a bunch from the year I was born. It goes back to the 1600s (although most of them are in the 1800s and above) and you can print any of them directly from the computer...how cool is that?

Thanks for the idea!
Alison

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to kiyawinn

That is cool, I think I have run across it before. I wish more newspapers would do this.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to kiyawinn

The newspaper archive sounded neat until I saw it cost $5.99/month. I'm cheap :>) Plus, I was born and raised in Denver and their papers aren't included. I pulled up one paper from another CO city, but as soon as I tried to make it bigger so I could read it, it disappeared and said that as a guest I could only read one more. I hadn't even read that one! Bummer...it really sounded neat. If I ever get started on heritage albums, it would probably be worth the cost, so thanks for sharing the link~Judy

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to mrsdriver5

Well, yeah, I have found stuff on those sites and just did a screen shot for what I wanted. I'm already paying for two genology sites. Will have to hit the library for what I want. Got a wand scanner to help.

Well, what I thought I could do will not work because the newspaper's files are protected and I can't print a whole sheet. I can screen capture but then I would have to paste together. A little diappointed because it has COOL Coke Cola ads from the 50's. Oh well, will keep looking.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics