Username Post: hairdryer?        (Topic#1580629)
justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

Hi ladies and guys

I was just wondering if you could use a hair dryer to dry my distress inks projects with? I don't have a heat gun not sure if I'll buy one just yet. Just wondering if it would ok to use until I buy a heatgun.

Justie

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to justartguy007

I'm definitely no expert...maybe one will respond, but I don't know why a hair dryer wouldn't work for speeding up the ink-drying process. It won't get hot enough for heat embossing, but you're just wanting some hot air to blow around. Sorry I'm not available to huff and puff—I'm full of hot air ~Judy

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to mrsdriver5

Lol thanks Judy just got done with some inking I decided to use the hair dryer and it dries the ink up pretty will. I cut one piece of white paper I had saved when I took them out of the page protector. I am going to use them for either journaling or photo matteding.

I probably posted them up to my blog and show you guys. Well got three more to ink up, lol

Justie

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-11-12 05:58 PM

Yes, a hairdryer is fine for drying inks. My DH, who is a fine art painter, he works in acrylic and watercolor, has used a cheap hairdryer for decades to dry his paint more quickly.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to stick

That cool I got all 4 paper done and the hair dryer worked really well. Now just let them dry a bit longer lol

http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

What they said.

Hairdryer should work for drying, but NOT for heat embossing. It won't get hot enough, and will blow the embossing powder all over.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to Bxr-Linda

Yeah I am only using it to dry my ink

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

Looking at your gallery and the LO where you did some fancy inkwork around the journaling...that would be great in heat embossing and give you a new technique to play around with...and of course more fun things to buy :>)

The heat guns can be gotten fairly cheaply with coupons. Do your inkwork with ink that won't dry fast, throw on some embossing powder, tap off the excess and take a soft brush to get rid of stray powder, then heat it with the gun (much better instructions and videos can be found on the Resources and Videos tabs or Youtube.) Just a suggestion for a new way to play :>) ~Judy

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

Thanks for the tip Judy and thanks for commenting on my layout. I just might give it a try if I think it'll fit with my layout or projects.

Thanks again, Justie

Diva

Not an expert but I have the special tool for embossing. Have never used the hairblower for it.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to bayamonesa1

OP was originally talking about using a hair dryer for speeding up the drying of his ink work and a hairdryer would work fine for that. Later I suggested that some of his work would be good with heat embossing...and for that he would need a heat gun. I was just trying to encourage him to spend money :>) ~Judy

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

Judy,

I think you are trying to get me to spent more money... But trying my best not too for while now. I might ask "santa" for a heating gun for christmas.

Justie

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

Sounds like a good plan...other than the part about having to be good for a bit more than three months! Yikes! That's a long time to be good. For me, it would be easier to take my coupon and buy it. ~Judy

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

Yeah so true, lol. But without a job I am trying my best to watch how much I spent.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

Understand...hubby was a carpenter so we had feast or famine weeks. Now we both get retirement checks which is nice. Always know when and how much is going to be deposited~Judy

New Kid On the Block

I'm an artist and for various projects I find a hair dryer with a diffuser on the end puts out a good amount of heat for drying, but doesn't blow things around so much. I've also bought heat guns pretty cheap used on ebay and they are a must have for embossing.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to ♥HappyCat♥

Yeah the hair dyer works good for my distress ink. I'm probably going to use some of my birthday money and maybe go buy a heat gun. My birthday is mext weekend. So, might go to Joanne or Michaels and look around see what kind of heat gun they have.

Justie

http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62

Hair dryer works on inks but kinda blows embossing powders away. Most heat guns don't have the air blow , only the heat.

Diva
In response to ajsophios62

It will be fine but don't use it for heat embossing!

New Kid On the Block
In response to bayamonesa1

I actually never used a hair dryer, I always use a heat gun. You have to be very careful though, I destroyed part of my art with it once.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics