Username Post: What type of mists or sprays?        (Topic#1580643)
daschweder
Veteran
daschweder

For a beginner trying out the mists and sprays, what would be a good starting point? Something that isn't going to get me discouraged because of the looks.

I'm not much into glitters even though I have some glitter (not in mists)I haven't tried using it yet.

What type of sprays would be good for someone to start out with looking for subtle coloring. What brands seem to do a better job than others?

I love how other peoples pages look with the sprays and would love to try but afraid of really just making a mess out of things.

Appreciate all the input and suggestions you may have. Thanks

Edited by daschweder on 09-12-12 12:16 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to daschweder

The mists dont really have "glitter"...more like a shimmery finish. Some mists dont have any shimmer at all. Just color.

I'd say buy one for a specific project you have in mind (and decide what type of finish you want). Then you can see if you like them enough to invest.

For the record, I think I like them too much

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to daschweder

Sprays are messy. You can't have a non-messy spray.

So, with that in mind....

Mister Hueys, Dylusions, Ranger Adirondack Washes and Flat Fabios all have no glitter and a range of opacity.

Glimmer Mist, Starbust Mist, Moon Shadow Mists, Perfect Pearls Spray and Smooch Spray all have varying degrees of shimmer-glimmer to them and have a very wide range of colors.

Like, Starbust have a TON of color and glimmer, Perfect Pearls mist have a little color and a ton of shimmer.

Dylusions are very saturated with color but can be blended. Mr Hueys are more opaque, like acrylic paint spray almost.

For subtle color, I would go with Glimmer Mist or Perfect Pearls Mist.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-12-12 01:00 PM
In response to Kim222

I HATED mists at first. It took me MANY tries before I started to love them. Now I have a minor addiction. .... (Is two DVD storage boxes stuffed full of bottles considered minor?)

Accept that you probably WILL make a mess. And you may need a bunch of practice, like me. But it's okay.

If you want subtle, the Tattered Angels Plain Jane line has lot of soft sheer color with no glimmer or shimmer at all. Or Iridescent Gold Glimmer Mist - just adds a fine gold shimmer without any other color, it's one of my favorites.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to stick

love love love mists ... Manda's summary of them is spot on and she is the mist queen

just discovered Dylusions and I adore them ... the color is awesome

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to madmatter

I have a mist addition! I love them all so don't ask me what to start with I'll tell you all of them. I would suggest that you do what Kim suggest start with something that you want to try mists on and get a mist to go with it.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
love love love mists ... Manda's summary of them is spot on and she is the mist queen

just discovered Dylusions and I adore them ... the color is awesome

*adjusts crown* Well, aren't you sweet!

I do love my mists!

I have all but one color of the Dylusions and the colors are so fabulous, just amazing! Very vibrant! You can layer Perfect Pearls over them to give them shimmer.

Resident
In response to Manda_K

I love my Lindy's and they have everything sprays with glimmer, flat sprays(just color), embossing powders, mica powders, color shots so basically the sprays but not in a spray bottle you can add things besides water to these like alcohol and make your own alcohol ink... these products have a million uses...

okay I quit ,... did I mention I am a lindy's addict

scrappin 2
Governor
scrappin 2
In response to must_love_paper

Well, I'm not a mist fan. I have two bottles of Tattered Angels mist and 4 of Smooch. I wish I'd never bought any of them. The Smooch brand no longer sprays. As a matter of fact, I asked in the topic line how to unclog them. I was told that it is the shimmer in them that clogs the holes. So maybe you'll want to try one without shimmer. ?

Maybe you will like them.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to scrappin 2

Lindy's is amazing!! I love all their products, not just mist...the embossing powders are fabulous!

The Moon Shadow mists are so cool. They all spray brown, then turn onto a color with a walnut base, very cool!

Cathe, try the hot water to unclog them. Misting isn't a perfect science, you have to commit to the spray and let the drops fall where they may!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-12-12 05:10 PM
In response to Manda_K

Another Lindy's lover here! The new Flat Fabios are wonderful for non-shimmer color.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to stick

I have a bunch of Lindy's stuff in my cart here at sb.com, but still haven't pulled the trigger ...

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to madmatter

I agree with all the previous posters regarding the mists....
One other spray that I really like is the Goosebumps...It dries clear, shiny and almost 3D
It looks great on winter layouts or Halloween.....

Alison
Products Referenced in This Post:

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to kiyawinn

and Goosebumps is AWESOME for doing resist techniques!!

daschweder
Veteran
daschweder
In response to Kim222

I've been looking at the different ones in the sb.com store but haven't looked local yet. I will definitely look into the ones you all mentioned here and see what ones I like best. Thanks for the input .

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics