Username Post: How do you know when is enough to put on a layout?        (Topic#1580677)
Diva

Sometimes I feel my pages are very simple. WHen I look at the galleries, I love the many pages with so many different things on their pages. I am like, why I didn't think about that? How do you know when to keep adding embellishments to your page and when it is time to stop?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-13-12 11:42 AM
In response to bayamonesa1

I don't glue anything down until I'm happy with everything. If I'm not happy with it or I just feel it's unfinished, I continue to work on it. Sometimes after a day (or several) I decide that I like it after all and don't do anything, sometimes it gets changed around completely. But it's all about whether I'm happy with it.

I actually don't like all those over-decorated pages that seem to be so popular right now. I like my pages clean and simple with a little decoration, not a lot.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

Agree with Kara - I did a very decorated one (for me) yesterday and I liked it but its not going to be my new style.

I don't start gluing until I'm sure I don't want to add anymore. You just know when you are happy with it.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to stick

I think when you feel happy with your page, thats when you stop.

Sometimes when I get to that "happy" place, I'll move a thing or two around, or add/remove something, but mostly when I'm happy with it, I'm done with it. And I never go back and re-do old layouts.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to Kim222

I agree with everyone I don't start glueing thing down until I am happy with it. I am a simple layout kind of person. Plus, I love photos more then putting a lot of "decorative elements" on a page. Even if it a really nice one. I think sometimes photos can get lost with all the flowers, beads, etc... But like others said when you know you are finish you know that it time to move on another one! Plus, you just got to be happy with your layout. Because you made what ever your style go for it. There no rule to how a certain layout or how much elements are put on a page. If you love it that all that matters.

Justie

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to justartguy007

If I'm ever unsure of if I'm happy with something or not, I walk away for a few minutes and do something else. When I come back, if it looks complete (yeah, I know. not helpful!) I stop. If it bugs me, I change it around. On a non scrapbook related note, I did this with a product display I was condensing at work today. the 4th shelf didn't look right, I walked away to another part of the store to pack up excess product and when I came back the answer jumped out at me, I fixed it and all was well.

daschweder
Veteran
daschweder
In response to moxiegirl23

I don't glue anything down till I am happy with it.That is when I finish and call it enough. I'll keep changing things around and add or remove things till I am satisfied with the results.

Resident

This thread reminds me of an incident while scrapping several years ago with my then 12-year-old goddaughter. I could sense she was staring at me while I was evidently over-embellishing a layout. When I stopped and turned to look at her, she simply and very seriously said, "Step away from the layout!"

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to daschweder

• Quote:
I don't glue anything down till I am happy with it.That is when I finish and call it enough. I'll keep changing things around and add or remove things till I am satisfied with the results.

I do the same!!!!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to oilbrat

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to mrsdriver5

when there's no more room on the page, I stop

seriously, I love negative space on LOs, but it makes me nervous when I try it on my own

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to madmatter

the best thing i ever saw was on this site years ago. some one said:

"i know i'm finished with a page when i look at it and smile."

sometimes i have a lot of stuff and sometimes i don't. either way, i'm smiling when i'm done.

Diva
In response to Lamoo12

Thank you so much for all your ideas and suggestions. I have learned a lot from your comments.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman

I work on a page until I like it, never glue anything down until I am happy with it. If I am at a crop I may ask a friend what they think. If I am at home I may lay it aside for a day or two or three... It seems that eventually just the right idea comes along and I finish it up.

I look at other people's pages and sometimes wish I could do more embellishing but I have tried it and it's just not me. I do a lot of clean and simple LOs.

I like Stickles,inking edges, matting pics, and using some embellishments that relate to my pic or theme. I don't get putting a bird on a LO that hasn't anything bird-related in the pic. I have a friend that does that kind of thing and I love her stuff. It's just not me.

Basically, do what makes YOU happy. It's your scrapbook, your memories, your style!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to idlewoman

Basically the same advice as everyone else. I have a piece of clear plexiglass. When I'm not sure about whether to add more to a layout that I've started, I lay the plexiglass over the top and walk away. The next day I come back to it and if I'm satisfied, out comes the glue. If not, I go back to see what changes I want to make. I tend to make more simple layouts myself, though I love the fancied up ones.

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to dwelch

The wonderful thing about this hobby is the flexibility to try different things. If you really want to try embellishing more just do it.
If you end up not liking it so what it is only one page and you tried something new.

I did a mini class whose main purpose was to embellish. I had to adhere the PP to a piece of cardboard it was so heavy. I loved it. Am I going to do it every time - No - but it was something different, I learned not to be so afraid of ruining something I liked but adding stuff to it, and I will do it again, although not necessarily every page.

In the class, the key phrase was if you think you have enough on there, you don't - add more. Kind of freeing - just give it a try.

Diva
In response to Sherrenae

Thank you so much!

elizabeth97
Veteran
elizabeth97

I stop when my page looks equal on all sides. I can tell when my pages looks lopsided.

Seaside Dreams
Veteran
Seaside Dreams
In response to elizabeth97

I tend to go for a balanced look - and honestly, my paper layouts are very simple and clean. It's just the way I've always scrapbooked, and it's the way that appeals most to me.

Now when I do digital pages, all bets are off. I feel more free to embellish heavier there, I think because it's easy to do without committing.

But mostly, my advice is just to play. If you like it, great...and if it turns out not to be your style, that's okay, too!

Diva
In response to Seaside Dreams

I am the same way, simple clean and balanced. I look at some pages in this site that they are so pretty, but I cannot make it work for me. I want to see the picture not so many embellishments and looks like the photo is hard to find. They are pretty but not my style.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I'm the same way. Now that I'm doing some of my new granddauhter's layouts I'm getting outside my box a bit. I really got outside my comfort zone with one of my daughter-in-law but that layout almost worked itself and I scraplifted the main idea.

But that aside, my style is clean and simple - I may get outside my comfort zone now and again to play, but that isn't my style.

KDQ
KDQ 
Guru
KDQ
  • KDQ on 10-16-12 06:25 PM

Sometimes the simpler the better. I like to arrange things on my page before gluing anything down. That way I can add or remove items before it is permenate.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to KDQ

It is easy to get caught up in all the pretty stuff/techniques that are out there for scrapbooking. Just because they exist does not mean you gotta use them for every layout. I quit when the layout has lost sight of what I am focusing on...the picture(s).

Diva
In response to Trina_P

Thank you so much for all your commnets. Very helpful!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

There are two trains of thought on this question - PICK ONE! (1) When you think you have enough, add one more embellie; and (2) When you think you have enough, take one thing off. That's the fun thing about scrapping - there are no hard and fast rules. And there's always going to be someone out there who looks at your layout and says, "Gee, I wish I could do that!"

Diva
In response to dwelch

Thank you for the ideas. I tend to work on my oages , then I lok here and is like..wow...how can they put so many different liettle things and they still look good?

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics