Page 1 of 6 
Username Post: Telling others you scrapbook        (Topic#1580725)
res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d

I have been around a lot of extended family lately and explaining what I do gets me the oddest expressions!! Anyone else have this issue? You would have thought I grew an extra eye or something

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 09-15-12 06:15 AM
In response to res19s2d

My family doesn't get it either. One of my sister ilaws makes cards but only from kits and only at classes. I told her she can come check out my stash and play with my toys but she said she just isn't that creative. BUT she really is, she makes the most beautiful quilts. (???) the rest of my family thinks it is dumb but love my pages.

I really don't care what they think; I finally found a creative outlet and I find it very relaxing. So it is either scrapbook or Zanax lol.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to res19s2d

I get the blank stare a lot. I've had people say to me "why?" It is so fun when someone who also scrapbooks asks to see your albums; or even a family member who just wants to see what you create. I respect all creative hobbies.

crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping
In response to Cinj

My grandmother was watching me scrapbook and was very critical that my page only had one picture!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to crazyaboutscrapping

I get that from my mother. She calls it playing with paper. Some don't get it, others do!!! I get called the craftey mom at my kids' school. I am always asked to do craft projects.

Expert
In response to binkiemonstermom

I get the weird look..and..."You do that?" Most people don't get it.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to deedee49

I guess I'm lucky....I have one sister that doesn't really say much...she's the rich, snooty type that doesn't understand crafting or homemade gifts or anything (just buy it!)

But, for the most part, my friends and family understand and are really supportive. My mom said she would like to try it if she was younger (she's in her 80s now), my other sister loves looking at my pages and I have 2 friends that also scrapbook, one friend that does other crafts....

I think we do something really special for our families and who cares if they don't get it....when we journal along with the photos, we are recording history....who wouldn't want old notes and letters from their great-grandmother??
On an old episode of PRT they were talking about a museum showing of old letters and scrapbooks....

Alison

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to deedee49

When I first got my Cricut my MIL kept making comments about me playing with my Cricut that made it sound dirty. It got to the point that it took all the fun out of it. She moved out of state and it was month before I could start using again.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to shortmouse

yeah, i have a sister that just doesn't get it. It makes me happy so what

and then there are those who think "oh how cute"

I just walk away.

If my pastor only realized that having a craft night at the church that could be a fund raiser would be a gpod thing.

justowen
Governor
justowen

I think I'm lucky, because my mom was always a crafter..trying anything and everything. My family doesn't understand my excitement over paper, embellishments, etc., but they LOVE the results of what I do.

Tahi
Tahi 
Pro
Tahi
  • Tahi on 09-15-12 09:17 AM
In response to justowen

My entire family gives me grief about it... starting with the hubby lol he complains I spend 2 much oh well... at the beginning I used to get mad and sometimes cry... after 6yrs I just don't care anymore they just have to suck it up

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Tahi

I have sisters and cousins that tried it for a little while and it just wasn't their thing but they all know how much I love it and are pretty supportive. My mother use to brush the subject off any time it was brought up until I made her a beautiful scrapbook of her childhood photos. When she cried over it, I knew she finally got it.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to olleharr

Yeah my family gives me just oh looks on their face. When I show them what items I bought. They know I am kind of the artsy guy. They like the things I create weather it be in a scrapbook or on paper or even on the photoshop. Especially if it has to do with family.
I figure what the problem everyone has to have outlet and do things they like. I bet some of the ladies on here were surpise to see there a few guys out there that like scrapbooking or just starting out in the scrapbooking world?
Justie

My blog http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

Edited by justartguy007 on 09-15-12 11:19 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to justartguy007

My hubby would love it, but he's got to clean up some of his other messes first :>) I call him Mr. Fix-It...even had a sign made for him, so he doesn't have room for scrapping right now...and it's for sure I don't have room to share!

He did buy a needlework kit a while back, but I need to help him figure out the thread colors sometime. I think everyone could benefit by finding something that keeps their hands busy and brings out their creativity. He also used to macrame when that was the craze. In fact, somewhere he has a hammock mostly finished that he was making.

A man used to visit the forums regularly and both he and his wife scrapped. I haven't seen him around for quite a while...and of course there is Kory. With us being able to make our own names, use any avatar, there may be more men on here than we know about...but I'm not one of them ~Judy

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to mrsdriver5

my sister has a cabinet full of scrapbook stuff that just si there. it breaks my heart because i know she won't give any of it to me until sheeady, meanwhile, it goes to waste.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

• shortmouse Said:
When I first got my Cricut my MIL kept making comments about me playing with my Cricut that made it sound dirty. It got to the point that it took all the fun out of it. She moved out of state and it was month before I could start using again.

OMG! You should have told her to either get her mind out of the gutter or join in the fun.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom

• mrsdriver5 Said:
... there may be more men on here than we know about...but I'm not one of them ~Judy

Judy, you are a RIOT!!!! LMAO!!

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007

That awesome to know... I kinda of always been one not to "stick to the rules" of who plays with what. If there something that peaks my interests I give it a go at it. I have to say when I was a kid I would play with different toys that I found interesting. Like for example the girls wanted me to play house with them. Or, they wanted to play barbies I would enjoy in on the fun. I also thought the barbie toys were fun. For the fact how they make the little dolls like what plastic was made out of it. I remember since I enjoyed just playing with them. I wanted one but my dad put his foot down said no. But then I outgrew the Barbie phase it only lasted short while. But I think I liked how the come up with new ideas for toys. I guess that's the artists that came out in me without knowing it, lol.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Juansmom

My mother does nothing that is crafty and things I'm crazy and never saves anything or puts it out so quit making things for her. But, daughter in law loves what I do and oldest her husband loves to look at the pages

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Juansmom

Some people look at me funny when I tell them I scrap, like I'm smoking crack or something. My Honey doesn't say a word, after all, I am spending my own (Large quantities of) money. My mother, a knitter, and if you know one you know what I mean, helps me fill my stash. She is also part-hoarder, in a semi-clean, not-so-television-worthy way. Ok, she has three bedrooms full of knitting and sewing supplies and books, she does belong on TV. My stash is no where near hers yet. Chris

Edited by Juansmom on 09-15-12 12:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 6 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics