Username Post: I know many of us dont think like this, but...        (Topic#1580727)
MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

What would you estimate the "shelf life" on your cutting system to be?

I was given a Cricut Expression over a couple years ago. It makes me happy; it gets used. However, I understand one day it will stop; machines are like that. They either reach their end of days; or the manufacturer no longer makes parts to repair it... or both. I'm trying to figure out when that day might be. How much longer do I get to enjoy my machine... kinda like "how many gumballs are in this jar?"

What estimates do you have, if any?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-15-12 07:16 AM
In response to MommaSaid

I figure for many electronics 5 years is fair. Especially if they're computer dependent because software and computers evolve so quickly. And in 5 years (or less!) I'll probably be wanting newer and fancier bells and whistles so I'd be wanting to swap it out anyway. If something lasts longer and continues to be useful and happy-making, great!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to stick

I have had my cricut since the came out....literally one of the first ones. It is going strong. If it does break, I will invest in another one since I have so many carts. Great thing is that the price has come down since I bought mine. I don't use mine every project but I do enjoy it when I use it!!!

michellesmakingmemories
Tenant
michellesmakingmemories
In response to binkiemonstermom

• binkiemonstermom Said:
I have had my cricut since the came out....literally one of the first ones. It is going strong. If it does break, I will invest in another one since I have so many carts. Great thing is that the price has come down since I bought mine. I don't use mine every project but I do enjoy it when I use it!!!

Same here, I bought one of the first ones and it lasted a good 5 years until the power cord gave out. I decided it was probably worth just buying the newer/latest model instead of ordering a new power cord. I also have a Pazzles that I've had for the last 7 years I believe, it hasn't shown any signs of slowing/failing/etc.

I'm a pretty happy camper with both and the amount of time they've lasted.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to michellesmakingmemories

I think that is going to have to depend on how often you use it. I use mine a couple times some months and then go for months without touching it.

Mine gets very low usage - I get a lot of my letters from my Slice.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Henri Jean

I've had my expression for 4 or 5 years now. It works just fine. I used to use it weekly for about 2 years and now it gets used maybe once every 2 months.

Seaside Dreams
Veteran
Seaside Dreams
In response to Just G

I've had my Cricut (I have the original baby bug) for well over 6 years...still works just fine, and I use it quite often. I don't even really think about the "shelf life" of it...when it dies, it dies, I guess.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Seaside Dreams

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad to know that I can expect to keep enjoying my E for at least a few more years. LOL! Of course, it will be even more fun, once I remember to replace the blade.

I should use mine more often. Right now, it's once every couple/few weeks; but I can also go a couple months without crafting a single thing -- with OR without the machine. When I do use it, I create a ton of embellishments, boxes and titles in a day. Yesterday, I wanted to make use of DH's paper gift to me, so I started cutting out Halloween titles and shapes.

And now I have the desire to window shop for new cartridges. That's the other thing I tend to think about now. Will it be worth it to invest in more cartridges? For sure, window shopping is free.

Again, thank you for your help!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to MommaSaid

New cartridges are fun. I bought Ole yesterday - such cute letters!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

Darn it, Henri Jean! Now I have to go look at that cartridge. I DO NOT need any more cartridges - I have 96 and many of them have never been used. But if one has a cute font on it, I find I just can't resist.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dwelch

My girlfriend was with me yesterday and I think she bought it too, we went to the cash register separately so I'm not sure, but she picked it up to get it.

It's on sale now at Michaels or Joann's - think it was $19.99. Not sure.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

I was excited to finally figure out what "digital" meant when I looked on the site. There are several I now want, but can't rationalize....yet.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to MommaSaid

I WANT A CRICUT SOOO BADLY!!!! OOOH, I am jealous of all of you, but just can't swing the initial expense, plus all the carts...I do have a $50 Michaels gift card to use, so maybe when they price them low between now and Christmas...

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to Juansmom

I think the Cricut is made better than other machines, such as Making Memories' Slice machine. I've had mine less than two years and it's already having major issues. Too bad I invested some serious dough into it.
I think your E will be just fine for a good number of years. They seem to do well with having the cartridges work on all the machines. I like that.

michellesmakingmemories
Tenant
michellesmakingmemories
In response to Juansmom

• Juansmom Said:
I WANT A CRICUT SOOO BADLY!!!! OOOH, I am jealous of all of you, but just can't swing the initial expense, plus all the carts...I do have a $50 Michaels gift card to use, so maybe when they price them low between now and Christmas...

Black Friday perhaps? I always end up getting cartridges on BF for great prices. You might also check Craigslist, seems like there's always people selling their Cricuts on there.

simplycrafty
Veteran
simplycrafty
In response to michellesmakingmemories

I've had my cricut for five years and it has given me no problems!! I haven't updated any of the software so I don't know if that might be something to consider...

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 09-20-12 07:39 AM
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
Darn it, Henri Jean! Now I have to go look at that cartridge. I DO NOT need any more cartridges - I have 96 and many of them have never been used. But if one has a cute font on it, I find I just can't resist.

NINETY-SIX?! Wow! I thought my 20 or so were a lot!

Yeah, I love my Expression, but sometimes I go months without using it. I'm kind of in a scrappy dry spell right now. I've just been busy and also dabbling in digital scrapbooking a bit. I hope it lasts for a long time...it's had so little use I'll be disappointed if it goes bad anytime soon!

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to LeeLo

I always worry about that too. I think if I see them on sale for a real good price I might buy another one to hold for just in case. I know for Christmas one year they were so much cheaper than when I purchased mine. Either Walmart or cricut machine site. They have good sales around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-20-12 10:35 AM
In response to kajunkat

I think my cutting system will last a long time! I have a Revolution and an Epic...love them and don't have to worry about power cords etc.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics