Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Silhouette Cameo?        (Topic#1580827)
justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007

Hey guys,

I know there a silhouette cameo forum on here. but decided to put my questions on this forum. I am on amazon.com about to buy a silhouette cameo one I want cames with extra blade and matte and pens it cost 269.99 but it said it'll be shipped in 1 to 3 weeks! There was one where you just get the machine with nothing extra just what comes with the machine. It cost a little least like 249.00. Thinking of buying the 249.00. Here my question I decided to look at the reviews of the machine. Most are all good reviews and some have a list of pros and cons. But there were some that said they had problems with the blade either ripping their paper, not cutting well and even breaking off after the second try. They also said the matted would either go in crooked or not be in useable conition after while. So, I just wanted to see if any of you that own a cameo had any of these problems or problems I had not read on these reviews of the cameo?

Justie

Kasima
Kasima 
Veteran
Kasima
In response to justartguy007

I bought my cameo off of amazon and have not had any of those issues...Mine came with a extra mat and extra blade.. I love my cameo !!

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to Kasima

That cool to know I am thinking of buying the one that 269.99 that comes with the extra blade and matte. I guess it won't be shipped for 1 to 3 weeks. Not sure why.

wiccan333
Tenant
wiccan333

I have ALL of those same problems with my Cricut Expressions 2. Now it is just another thing in my craft room collecting dust. I will hold out for a Eclips.
I wish you the best of luck with your new machine!

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to wiccan333

Aww sorry to hear that good luck with your new toy if you get it. I heard about it nice but think the cameo will work for me. It has good reviews just every machine going to have some flaws no matter what. Are you going to sell the other machines you have? You can save up for the stuff you want.

Justie

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram

I really like my Cameo.
I too, have read where some are having issues with the blade and tearing of the paper. I have not had any issues, but I have also been using a Cricut since they came out, which has helped me a lot to feel familiar with getting the settings
( pressure, blade depth, speed, size of cut ) right to where I don't have too many issues.
I like the machine, the software and their online files.
I am very happy with the machine and glad I bought it.
I didn't get any extras with mine, but I only paid $200. for mine.
The down side to that was that I had to wait 2 months for shipment. I like to save as much as I can and didn't "need" it right away, so I was ok with having to wait.
Hope you get what you are looking for!

LesleyC
Diva
LesleyC
In response to ChansGram

Recommend getting cricut mats. Much less spendy and mire durable than the SIL mats.

Resident
In response to LesleyC

its all about getting the blade settings rite for the type of paper you are using... as for the cricut mats yes they are less expensive but they are also thicker so you have to adjust your settings for that, and they will enevitably dull the blade faster...

godschild94
Governor
godschild94
In response to must_love_paper

I have had my Silhouette for almost a year and I am in love with it. I have gone through 3 mats since I bought it...they last forever! And I cut a ton with it. As for the mat moving, I was having that problem then realized I was loading it wrong...now I rarely have issues with the mat.

I am on my second blade with the machine....its probably getting close to the end, but I have been using my machine like crazy these past few weeks.

I absolutely love the intricacy of the cuts and the fact that I know exactly what size something is going to be before I cut it...makes it nice when I need to stamp something on it or when I am using a ton of cuts because I can then layer everything together on my computer to see how it will lay out before I cut it. There are also some great Silhouette Tutorial classes out there and they are worth every penny to learn new stuff about your machine. Hope this all helps!

rebeccakeppel
Idol
rebeccakeppel

I love my Cameo! The only time I've had any problems is when I have inadvertently used the wrong settings (i.e. once I did not select a box that said I was using a cutting matte even though I was). I think most of the problems people come across are user errors. I have had it since February and I am on my 3rd cutting matte. I am trying to remember to cut in different parts of the matte to see if that helps it last longer--I tend to just cut in the upper left corner and then that part loses its stickiness more quickly. I have gone through a couple of blades too, but I have cut fabric with my regular blade. Now that Silhouette has a fabric blade I will hopefully be able to use my paper-only blade longer.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Expert
In response to rebeccakeppel

I love my Cameo (and the SD before that...). I would recommend going ahead and getting the one with extra mats and blades because depending on where you live it's very rare to find the extra supplies in a store (my Archivers just recently started carrying Sil products again). There are lots of horror stories out there about the blades and I honestly think a lot could be due to user error, but I think that there must have been bad batch at some point because Silhouette America is more than happy to replace a blade if you complain about it (although they have great service and want to please anyway).

I just always feel more comfortable having an extra mat and blade on hand in the event of an emergency (like dropping your blade and knicking it!)

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to HuskerMom98

Thanks for the comments. I am going to order it today at some point. Just have to decided if I want the one with the extra matte and blade or just the machine, lol.

Justie

http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 09-18-12 11:15 AM

My aunt recently bought a Cameo after her Expression died. If my Expression were to die, I'd probably do the same. She showed me some of the cuts and they were very sharp and even the tiniest details cut perfectly. I wish they had this machine a few years ago when I bought my Cricut!

I'd probably go ahead & get the extra blade & mat. Isn't it true you cannot buy supplies for the Silhouettes in local stores? I thought you had to order them online. That might save you in the long run.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

At some point you're going to need a replacement mat and blade. On Amazon those two things cost $27, so you're ahead with the $269 bundle just with those two items. You will use (need, in my opinion) a pick-up tool, which would cost another $7, but is included in the bundle. Once you get playing with the cameo, you'll probably want to progress to the pens...another $10, so for the extra $20 bundle price, you're getting $44 worth of extras and all things you'll eventually NEED or wish you had.

I pretty well messed up my first mat just by learning where to place things. If the blade can cut through shrinky dink, it can cut through its own mat I still use it, but it will need to be replaced soon. I know people use cricut mats, but I've heard some say they don't work as well for the print & cut feature and that's a feature I like using. You can find ways on youtube to clean/resurface mats which extends their lifespan (unless they're cut to shreds )

I use my Cricut hook and haven't used the tool that comes with the bundle, but I'm assuming it would work to help get the cut-out items off the mat.

I like to keep a spare blade handy so if something happens to the one I'm using in the middle of a project it's easy to switch it out.

My cameo came with a bad blade. You'll know because everything tears no matter what the setting. Silhouette sent me a new one very quickly. Plus, they've been working to update the blade to get past some of the issues they've had with it. By now, they may all work great. I got my Cameo for Christmas, so they've had lots of time to re-engineer it.

Amazon says it normally ships within 1-3 weeks, but when it says that, it's often sooner. They just want people to be prepared to wait if needed. Amazon is tricky...I've had some things that never did show up, but usually they come pretty fast even with regular, free (if available) shipping. ~Judy

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to mrsdriver5

Yeah thinking of getting the one that is 249.00 if I want I can buy an extra blade and matte next month on amazon. I download the software from the silhouette website last night. Been playing around with it. It seem almost like photoshop in way. I know I'll enjoy it once I get it.
I just have decide either the 249.00 one without the extra blade or matte. Or, the 269.00 one with the extra blade and matte with the pens. But with me wanting to save money I think the 249.00 one will be good one to buy.
How long of the "life" does the matte last? I looked on some people video about how to put on the matte how to take off when done cutting and could see like cut lines on the matte. When they remove the paper after cutting.

Justie

http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007

Well let everyone know I finally decided to break down and buy myself The Silhouette Cameo I bought it on amazon.com for 249.00 it had also supper saving. That reason why I like amazon.com for that reason... lol. If you get anything over 50.00 you get supersaving on shipping and handle. I never order anything off amazon that was no bigger then a medium size box. I hope it comes in ok shape, lol. It should be here sometime next week. It a birthday present to myself. Since my birthday is in two weeks.

I could have bought the one that had the extra matte and blade but that was 269.99 and this was I just order the machine with just the stuff that come in the boxes. I was going to buy it on the offical website. But it was 299.99 I guess it was the same price for it on amazon but I guess they knock down the price to 249.00 decided to go that route. Since I won't feel like I broke the bank and can easily pay it off on the next bill. I have to say I was getting a little bit nervous to push that complete order button. Because I never order anything online that over 200.00 But realize it silly because I did paid around $600.00 on my desktop last year at Staples with a check, lol. But I think the reason now is I am not working at the moment. But I do have a lot of money put away. Why not spent a little here and there if I can.
I am one to watch my money I was few hours ago adding and subtracting the money to see how much I would have left etc.... I have a birthday coming up so I can put some money back in won't have to feel bad. I also have some saving bonds my grandmother gave me back in the late 80s and early 90s. Going to go to a bank that deals with savings bonds and see how much it worth. I guess cash it in and put it in my bank accounts if it enough going to divided it up in both savings and checking.

Justie

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to LeeLo

Hi Leelo,

I have not see any Silhouette supplies in any store I been in. It mostly been the Circut Machine or it supplies. So, I guess if you want to buy some of Silhouette supplies you have to buy it online.

Justie

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

I'm still using my original mat. It's got cuts through it, but it still sticks fine. I've used it since I got it last Christmas, but I don't use it daily like some do. If I'm doing something that is very intricate, I use a 2nd mat that I have, just so I know the paper will stick really well. For shapes, lettering and fairly easy cuts I use my original one.

The first mat probably won't last as long because it takes some trial and error to figure out how to set the depth of the blade. Too deep will cut, or mark, the mat, but if the blade isn't deep enough it won't make good cuts. It takes some playing around to know the settings for what you're cutting. It's not difficult, but be prepared to possibly replace your first mat sooner than would be normal.

If you can do it, I'd still go with the $269 one since it will probably cost more than $20 to buy an extra mat and blade, not even counting the pick-up tool and pens. If you can't, then your problem is solved anyway

The sooner you make a decision, the sooner you'll have it :>) but I know it's a major scrappy purchase. ~Judy

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

Well, forget what I wrote since our replies passed over each other :>) Glad you made a decision and that you'll have yourself a nice birthday present.

Every so often the silhouette store has a sale on supplies, so it's a good time to get extra blades, mats, etc. Their prices are fairly close to other places and with the discount, it works out good. I think the last discount was 25%. Just something for you to keep in mind~Judy

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007

Thanks Judy I'll keep that in my mind. I think I'll be paying extra blade and matte before the end of the year. Then I won't feel bad spenting alot of money, lol... I'll let you know how everything goes with my shilouette cameo. I am pretty exicited. To try the fonts on my computer with it. I am going to use it for my scrapbooking and maybe try and start making cards with it too.

Justie

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics