Page 2 of 3 
Username Post: Obstacles That Prevent You From Scrapbooking        (Topic#1580841)
pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to moxiegirl23

Mine is definitely time constraints! I work full time, and have 2 kiddos actively involved in activities, school activities, helping with homework, and I can't forget the migraines I am been having lately.....the list goes on and on. I haven't been able to find the time to scrapbook as much as I would like.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 01:39 PM
In response to pamela.tx

I guess I'm at the same spot as Henri - I stand there looking at pictures for days and have no ideas. No inspiration. I had a 3 day weekend this past weekend and nothing on my to-do list except scrapbook (don't hate me!) and I couldn't come up with a single thing on Friday or Saturday. On Sunday I was finally able to do one single page. One of my friends say I overthink it, but I wish that were the case. Most of the time I just look at the photos and my mind is a total blank!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• moxiegirl23 Said:
  • Henri Jean Said:
Oh Liz - don't know how you do it, but I do understand - you do what you have to do.

You are one busy woman but it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel when you pass the insurance exam!

I put one foot in front of the other and keep my coffee mug filled! I've got one exam and license accomplished, I just need Life to round out Accident and Health. The light at the end of the tunnel is actual enrollments.

she's being modest. There's an S on her chest.

elizabeth97
Veteran
elizabeth97
In response to Vae

I kinda feel the same way. I don't feel like my ideas are fancy enough, like my LO's are too simple. I only have basic supplies, no cricuts or sizzix machines.

Edited by elizabeth97 on 09-18-12 02:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to elizabeth97

I have to admit, after the post I made this morning I decided I was going to do those layouts. One on my mother's day flowers only took 5 minutes once I decided what I wantd to do and I love it! I had one of the pre-bought shaped things - very fancy. The picture in the middle bordered in red and put the shaped thing on a red cardstock and I like it. But I had to force myself to start going through my book of embellies and things I had to hand. Third turn of the page - I had it.

For the other, I decided I didn't want to look at it all day today and tomorrow so made a collage of the upcoming trip to Key West and pulled several pircure from the trip, including a Key West sunset and the menu of the restaruant we ate at on our first night on the road. I titled it "Road Trip". Before this morning I didn't even think about making a title page for Key West.

Done.

Then started 2 more. One is another I pushed around a bit and after this thread I decided I wasn't going to let motivation get in the way. The take out menu (very pretty) from the restaurant and some photos and one paragraph of journaling and it is what I would have done if I had worked on it for a week. Took less than an hour one I focused.

Now I'm on the deodorant layout. No ideas but I took pictures of my deodorant, my husbands and the glue he thought was a 3rd deodorant and would have put it under his armpits if I hadn't stopped him. I have to play with that one but it will be the story and one picture.

Just have to run to Walgreens now and get the 3 deodorant pictures developed.

This thread has made me address the lack of motivation problem and get into the gallery and my file of layouts that I like and pull out patterned papers and start working on them.

I've had to force myself, but I'm quite pleased with the results on the 3 completed and I can't wait to see how the deodorant layout turns out.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap

Most of them fit me but I could only narrow it down to two...I am overwhelmed with all my scrapcrap and I am so easily distracted..I have scrappers ADD...oh wait..there is the third one too which is perfectionism. Right now they're all combined and I just cannot scrap...and I've been staring at the same photo and some pretty pps for THREE days....just now I did one of GabrielleP's eggshell mosaic embellies hoping doing SOMETHING...ANYTHING would get me started.
Jarvae's explanation fits me this week

Resident

None of the above.. it is time constraints but now becuase it takes me a long time to prepare and scrap its because I am a single mom with a 2.5 year old and I work 45 hours a week

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to must_love_paper

I think I picked Time Constraints...or maybe Easily Distracted...but all of the answers fit. I don't have as much going on as everyone with kids home, but it also means that since not only my kids, but even most of my grandkids are grown up, I just don't move as fast as I used to. Also I have a full-time hubby home, which is great, but kind of messes up the time sometimes. Plus, there are so many different things I'm working on...designing a kitchen remodel is a biggie right now, but it will be nice once we get it done. Lots of home projects going on that we're trying to get done before our bodies just don't let us do some of them anymore.

However, I'm with Jarvae. I've got one page to finish for one section of my Tahoe album and I just can't figure out what I want to do with it. I've got three pictures staring me in the face and no clue what to do with them.

Henri and others say when they finally do those pages, they're their favorites. Not me. Once I get a brain-blocked page done, I usually hate it, but it's done and I don't want to mess with it anymore.

It's so much easier to shop for new stash, so maybe I'll do that instead...but sometime I have to show something for all the money I spend ~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

Shopping - when ya want to go Judy? That always helps!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 06:12 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:

It's so much easier to shop for new stash, so maybe I'll do that instead...but sometime I have to show something for all the money I spend ~Judy

THIS! LOL!! I have been shopping like CRAZY this summer. I have a TON of stuff but then I FINALLY get an idea for a layout and I just need more rhinestones. Or I just need some black ribbon. Hubby asks what's wrong with the 3 types of black ribbon I already have, and I have to explain that it's not the right width or texture and I have GOT to go to M's RIGHT NOW before it closes. Occasionally he might cautiously casually mention that I might just work from my stash and use all the stuff I already have.

Of course, he always does agree with me after the fact that I really did need that other kind of ribbon or whatever, but I don't know if it's because he really sees the difference or if it's because he's just well trained.

Bottom line though is I think I do it as a way to procrastinate on actually doing my pages. "I can't figure this one out so I'll subconsciously come up with some random reason why I can't, and I'll go shopping instead." and when I get home, the pictures are still there. Staring at me. Waiting. Tapping their foot impatiently.

Eh, I'll get there. Some day.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

My reason isn't on the list. It's my cat. I totally blame my cat. I can't leaving anything out for even a moment. I leave a layout to go to the bathroom and when I come back, she has stuff stuck to her (and pawprints on the layout). I've tried working in a room with a shut door, but the beast tries to tunnel under the door. So....I only scrap when I have time to get stuff out, play with it, and put it all away. Sometimes it's just not worth the effort.

Acrobat
Tenant
Acrobat

My first thought was "all of the above"
But seriously, I think it depends. At any given time it could be at least one of those.
For me lately though, perfection has become an obstacle of sorts. And I thought I was past that whole feeling.

bj9268 
Resident
In response to Acrobat

It's time constraints and motivation. I noticed I haven't scrapped as much as I have in the past since my mother and father passed away. My mother passed in Aug. 2011 and my father on March 2012. I started to work on my son's school scrapbook but had difficulty getting started. I've was ill last week so I was able to get 3 pages completed. Now I'm the keeper of my mother's pictures she left behind to scan and provide copies for my siblngs. It's kind of over whelming. I'm trying to get back into it again.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 07:55 PM
In response to bj9268

• bj9268 Said:
It's time constraints and motivation. I noticed I haven't scrapped as much as I have in the past since my mother and father passed away. My mother passed in Aug. 2011 and my father on March 2012. I started to work on my son's school scrapbook but had difficulty getting started. I've was ill last week so I was able to get 3 pages completed. Now I'm the keeper of my mother's pictures she left behind to scan and provide copies for my siblngs. It's kind of over whelming. I'm trying to get back into it again.

I'm right there with you. My mother passed away in May this year and I have a small storage unit full of pictures and memorabilia from her. Much of it is in really bad condition, so I've been procrastinating on sorting through it. I finally decided to just let it sit there for a while and work on a happy album and I'll just get to that project when I get to it. It was hard for me to come to that decision because at first I felt like I needed to go through all those things right away. But then I thought, if she was still here I wouldn't be going through them now, so I don't need to rush myself.

My thoughts are with you and hoping you can find the motivation again.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Vae

My problem is it's been almost a year since I moved in with my mom and I still do not have my supplies, or anything else for that matter, organized. I did get some space cleared off on my table to scrap a few layouts in May but it took forever to track down the supplies I wanted to use since they are in several places.

Tenant

For me it's time, I'm in a relationship that brought 2 kids (one who's 10) so there's school, art, cadets, sport plus my partner doesn't drive (yet) so there's work runs as well. I'm on disability from my depression and use to have tons of spare time. But this kind of busy makes me so happy and fulfilled.

Resident

Right now, I have the time, but need some money to buy supplies!!! I just got inspired for a new project for my daughter. Hopeing I can start on it soon!!!

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 09-19-12 06:32 AM

• elizabeth97 Said:
I kinda feel the same way. I don't feel like my ideas are fancy enough, like my LO's are too simple. I only have basic supplies, no cricuts or sizzix machines.

To be honest, sometimes I feel like I was more creative before I got my Expression or my Big Shot. Don't get me wrong, I love my machines, but I feel like I came up with some cooler ideas before it was so "easy" to just make what I want. I actually scrap less since I bought those...I guess it's a little of all of the options with time being a big one, but sometimes I want to just put those machines away for a while and see what I can come up with!

elizabeth97
Veteran
elizabeth97
In response to LeeLo

That's really interesting, thanks for saying that to me. I will keep that in mind. I am thinking about buying a dye cut machine.

jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva

• moxiegirl23 Said:

I put one foot in front of the other and keep my coffee mug filled! I've got one exam and license accomplished, I just need Life to round out Accident and Health. The light at the end of the tunnel is actual enrollments.

Liz.. you're just amazing!!! I agree with Holly on the S thing... there are a couple of you like this around here...

I picked.. taking long time to ....

Part of that is time-constraint, but then I notice that when i had to finish DD's bday album, I did it right on time, before her bday! So I guess my low incentive these days has nothing to do with others or time or other variables, it is just me.

After the NSD, I had a great few weeks where I got my mojo back and started scrapping again... and I've been encouraged in some various ways and really have no excuse for slacking..

To be honest, I don't know what's wrong with me. I do want to scrap, and I think I should .. but I just don't!?!

Page 2 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics