Username Post: searching for a "perfect" font        (Topic#1580859)
tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham

I am a font junkie, I love them and have 1000+, but I'm stumped in trying to find the "perfect" one for my needs right now.

I am making a vacation album for a friend, and want to cut welded words like 'vacation,' 'destination,' or 'paradise' in a script type font with my Cameo. My first thought was to go with either CK Script or CK Ali's Writing, but they're both a little thin for the look I'm going for.

I narrowed it down between Eight Fifteen and Segoe Script ... but I'm still not completely satisfied. Any suggestions for a similar font?

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to tanyaham

There are Bermuda Script and Kaleidoscope Regular, but I don't know if they're too thick. I don't know if you could take one of the ones you like and add a shadow around it...or can't the line width just be changed on the Cricut...or can you only do that with SCAL? I've never used my cartridges, so I don't know how they work.

Or maybe check out LetterDelights and see if they have anything you like.

I have so many fonts, but it always is too mind-boggling to figure out which to use, so I usually stay with a couple I like...which is really dumb. I don't have as many as you installed on my computer, but close Good luck in finding what you want~Judy

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to mrsdriver5

Judy, those are both great, but I wanted more of a handwritten-type look ...

I tried playing around with line thickness in the Silhouette Studio software with a thinner lined font, and it just looked weird.

I think I'm just trying too hard. My friend will love whatever I choose, and she won't even know how long I looked for a silly font!!

snoflake517
Veteran
snoflake517
In response to tanyaham

I had a similar problem with CK Ali and it being too thin for my project--I was doing a large vinyl quote for a wall. My solution was to make it "bold" by creating a thin shadow layer using the outline feature in the Silhouette Program. The shadow was thin enough to still catch the shape of the letter, but thicker than the original. Then I just welded the "shadow" layer after deleting the original. It worked perfectly for me. Good luck finding a good font!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to tanyaham

Have you checked out 1001 Free Fonts online? I just downloaded the Annabelle Script...as if I really needed more fonts :>)

What I HATE...is I have an HP PC that has fonts preinstalled that I can't get rid of. These aren't Windows fonts, but evidently every Chinese person who worked on the computer has his own font in there and they are duplicates of standard fonts, but with the person's name on them. Plus some Asian-character fonts that I don't use, but I can't get rid of them. Grrr..., but I digress

I clicked on the Caligraphy link and there are a bunch of pretty fonts with all line widths. Hope you find something you like. I know...I stress over stuff like this and no one else even notices~Judy

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

Judy, thanks for that site. Just browsed through some of them & love them! When I get home, I'll have to do some downloading. They have an army one that's just too cool!

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to flintridgescrapper

Megan - I will try doing a shadow layer when I get home and see how it turns out! CK Ali's Writing is the sort of look I am going for.

Judy - I love Annabelle Script! I have used that for journalling on some pages and especially to print a card sentiment.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

Thanks, Tanya ...I know I have too many fonts on my 'puter as it is, and I've been downloading more all morning. I'm on SimplytheBest fonts now—just got the Hancock that looks like I have John Hancock as my personal secretary, plus one that looks like the Coca Cola font. This will be perfect for my sil, the Coke-collector :>)

OK...going back to see what else I can download. I want to find some new Christmasy-looking fonts~Judy

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

You guys need to set up a font notebook like I have. It actually took very little time to do it, and it's so nice to be able to see all the letters of every font in a large enough size to be able to actually see what the font is going to look like.

Font Index By Dwelch

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to dwelch

Now that's a really good idea. I hate having to scroll through each & every one, trying to pick the perfect one. Thanks for sharing.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to flintridgescrapper

Oh Dwelch, you have no idea how OCD I am ... I've kept a font notebook for many, many years. It's gone through probably a thousand revisions and updates. All cross-referenced and everything!!! LOL!! I wrote about it on my blog (about halfway down the post) http://tanyaham.blogspot.com/2012/02/i-am-ocd-orga nizer...

Judy, I have many Christmas fonts-love them! I always try to figure out ways to use them throughout the year. One I like looks like gifts (CK Gifts, maybe? I'm not at home) and I try to use that for birthdays or other special occasions. Another one I like is Candy Cane - super cute diagnally striped big fluffy letters.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to tanyaham

Do you have Lucida handwriting? That's one I use a lot.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to moxiegirl23

Yes, Liz, that is a really nice handwriting font!

godschild94
Governor
godschild94
In response to tanyaham

Have you tried using the offset feature? I have found that by making an offset of anywhere between 0.20 and 0.40 helps make a thin font thicker to cut. Then you just remove the original from the image and use the background only. The icon is the little nested circle at the bottom of your Silhouette screen. Love that feature!

Edited by godschild94 on 09-19-12 12:43 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to tanyaham

Well, I was going to suggest;
the Lucida handwriting (already mentioned)
Mistral
Brush Script MT
txt longhand
Freestyle script
Vladimir script
Honey script
LD Quick script
Marcelle script

The Brush Script and the Marcelle Script are the thickest. Of course you can increase the size and boldness to what you want (their standard seems a little small to me)......

I use Free Fonts as well and here's another site,
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/

Good Luck!
Alison

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to kiyawinn

Thanks for the font site. I found several different sites this morning and got a bunch of cute fonts...as if I didn't already have a ton ~Judy

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to tanyaham

Tanya, I just read the blog that you had linked and thought of you with a magazine page I have on my desk. I pulled it out of the current Better Homes/Gardens when I was reading it this morning. I was thinking of my 16-yr. old granddaughter, but now I'm thinking of you, too :>)

For 99¢ there is an iTune app called "Cloth". "Fashion Forecast—Today's outlook is stylish and prepared. Sartorial smartphone app Cloth catalogs your outfits and uses real-time weather data to help you dress for current conditions."

After reading your post, I'm wondering if there is one for coordinating outfits also. If you take pics of your clothes (which I'm assuming you need to do so it knows what you have) and it can figure out what to wear for the weather, you'd think it could figure out what goes together and when you last wore it. As my granddaughter would say, "Genius"

I can't even get my hubby to understand the white hangers are for normal clothes and the blue ones are for grungy work clothes...let alone keeping it all color-coordinated, but I just re-arrange everything whenever I hang up the ironing and get it back nice and neat.~Judy

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham

Alison, thank you! I actually have all those except the last two ... I will look those up!

I am going to play with the shadow and offset feature ... I'll let you know which one works best!!!

Thank you guys for all your help and suggestions! I just LOVE fonts, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

And Judy - I will have to look into that app! I actually just got my copy of BHG the other day and took it to work. I'll check it out too!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics