Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Mixed Media        (Topic#1580867)
t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps

Do you use mixed media in your albums? If so, what types? I've never tried it, but it looks pretty interesting.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to t-scraps

Sure. I use molding paste, gesso, all kinds of inks....there are varying degrees of it. You can layer paper over inks and so on.

Right now I am working on a mixed-media project for a challenge.

From Wiki: "Mixed media tends to refer to a work of visual art that combines various traditionally distinct visual art media. For example, a work on canvas that combines paint, ink, and collage could properly be called a "mixed media" work "

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Manda_K

Have not tried it yet.

Edited by prittb on 09-19-12 05:15 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-19-12 09:29 AM
In response to prittb

Technically I think we all do, to some degree. Paper + photographs = mixed media. Add in chipboard, brads, Stickles, Thickers, inks and sprays, stickers, etc. etc. and it's definitely mixed media.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to stick

I agree with Stick...that is exactly what I was going to say...
I use paint, spray, gesso, fabric, sewing, chipboard, glitter etc...on my layouts.
I love using different mediums and layers. I'm not personally happy with my pages if they are flat and just paper...

Alison

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-19-12 04:58 PM
In response to kiyawinn

Aside from the generally common scrapbooking uses (inks, brads, etc) I haven't and I've been really wanting to. My LSS had a technique class about a month ago but I was out of town

I've been wanting to try molding paste but I can't seem to find it in the stores. I guess I'm not looking in the right section.

I'm also trying to figure out what to do with all these chipboard things I have... I see so many pages where the chipboard is altered somehow yet I have no idea how this is accomplished.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Vae

Jarvae....I use a lot of chipboard shapes and titles...you can paint them (or use inks or markers) and then coat them with Glossy Accents or Mod Podge if you want them shiny (coat them in white first if you want "true" colours).....you can cover them with versamark and heat emboss them....you can cover them with glue and glitter them....
And M's sells molding paste and Geso, depending on what you want to do with it...

Try it!, Try it!, Try it!

Alison

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to kiyawinn

I was thinking the same thing.. i thought it was scrapping.. i dont understand why they changed the name... it confused me :-?... i was like ...isnt that what we do... whatever suits our fancy... :-) use it.. o well,, whatever i still do what i do.. and call it scrapping. To each is own.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
I agree with Stick...that is exactly what I was going to say...
I use paint, spray, gesso, fabric, sewing, chipboard, glitter etc...on my layouts.
I love using different mediums and layers. I'm not personally happy with my pages if they are flat and just paper...

Alison

What she said

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-20-12 10:04 AM
In response to Kim222

Alison,

What kind of paint do you use? I'm very familiar with the scrapbooking aisle at M's, but I don't venture outside of that. I walked through there yesterday and there are soooo many kinds of paint. I love to try new things, but I tend to quit easily if I try something and it doesn't work out the first few times. Maybe I'll go look for some videos tonight on altered chipboard and see if I find something I can copy until I get the hang of it. LOL I'm scared of making a mess and ruining expensive chipboard.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Vae

Molding paste and gesso can be found in the art section. Golden and Liquitex are the major brands.

I love the Studio acrylics from Claudine Helmuth.

I am venturing out and soon will get some Gelatos and also some PanPastels (but they are a bit pricey).

I just ordered some artist pigments and silks from Luminarte. They make Radiant Rains and also Twinkling H2Os (love those!).

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Manda_K

The silks are sooooo pretty!! We used them in a class not too long ago and I love the softness and sheen they give. I have 2 colors so far (honey amber and olive something or other), but working on that

Also just bought a set of 6 Radiant Rains at the Expo. They have a dabber top and I love the slight sparkle they give.

I have a few different acrylics including Claudine Helmuth, Kaiser Craft and Adirondack and I like and use them all. Couldn't pick a fave. I even have some of those old Making Memories bottles from long ago!

I took a mixed media class at the Expo and we used gelatos, but I don't think I'm a big fan.

How do the Twinkling H20's work? They're the stuff that comes in little pots, right? Solid? I've never used them.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

Have you used the mirror paint from Luminarte?! TOOO COOL. I used it on a Christmas tag to paint an ornament with.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Kim222

OOHH No, I will check it out!!!

I love the H2Os, yes, they come in little pots, you just spritz a little water in the pot and mix it around with your brush, then paint! EASY!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
Alison,

What kind of paint do you use? I'm very familiar with the scrapbooking aisle at M's, but I don't venture outside of that. I walked through there yesterday and there are soooo many kinds of paint. I love to try new things, but I tend to quit easily if I try something and it doesn't work out the first few times. Maybe I'll go look for some videos tonight on altered chipboard and see if I find something I can copy until I get the hang of it. LOL I'm scared of making a mess and ruining expensive chipboard.

First, you need to venture out into the rest of Ms...if you have a good one, they stock all kinds of things in the other aisles you can use!
I've bought fish net, felt, ribbon, wood pieces, paints etc...from the other aisles!

Secondly, I also like the studio paints by Claudine Hellmuth (I also use her Gesso) but you can get a nice line of paints by Martha Stewart at Ms....they come in plain, metallics, glitter etc..and all different colours. They cover well.
Do you have the stuff for heat embossing? It's really easy to do that to chipboard.....
Have fun with it!

Alison

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-20-12 01:27 PM
In response to Kim222

Thank you Manda! The brand names will help. When I asked for molding paste at HL they kept showing me molding clay that you have to bake.

I bought one twinkling h20 at my LSS and have no idea how to use it, but the project I'm working on right now is totally different colors so I will probably have to wait to use that.

I have never heard of the gelatos and silks and stuff. I guess I have a lot of research to do!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-20-12 01:32 PM
In response to Vae

Thanks Alison! Well I have gone to other aisles for some things like that. I'll get flowers, ribbon, fabric and random things like that. But the real "art" aisles are intimidating and nobody there knows anything about any of the stuff. This has been very helpful and educational

Embossing chipboard? I do have the stuff for heat embossing but I never could get anything to look very good... I'm sure it's a combination of the wrong powders plus I have a heat gun with a low and a high and I never know which setting to use or how far away to hold it. Either the stuff doesn't "melt" or whatever and look embossed because the heat is too low, or I end up burning the paper which makes the color fade. I have been using scrap paper to practice first so I don't ruin any of my LOs but I haven't quite got the hang of it yet. I'll get there! Does it work exactly the same on chipboard? Sounds like that's probably what I've been seeing that I like.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Vae

For embossing, high heat with short bursts is best, like, wave the heat gun over the powder multiple times. I love the look of embossing and also use it mixed with other mediums.

I also use Studio gesso, gloss and matte medium and the slow dry. I love the slow dry, esp for glitter. It makes paint or other mediums stay wet longer, so the glitter has more time to sink into the glue and set.

There are also different types of molding paste. There is flexible, hard, white, clear and black. So, it can be a bit like, what the heck do I use all this for?? I like the hard, it dries white and you can sand it to a nice finish.

Expert
In response to Manda_K

Yeah I learned something! I didn't know you could sand molding paste once it was dry!!! I have to try that!!!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to scrappy_day

Heck yes! Just make sure you use the super fine grain sandpaper.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics