Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Walking through my J's        (Topic#1580885)
Expert

So I was walking through my J's today and none of the percent off signs were up. I bought a couple of little things...then the man at the counter told me spellibinders was on sale. I also found a coupon book..(which I left at home cause I didn't realize I was going to go there). So I decided to finally get that ATG with my 50 percent off coupon. So I picked up a couple of those silly spellbinder cards to bring to the counter...and an ATG. As I was waitng on line, I peered into the cage that holds all the spellbinders and cricut carts. They had a bunch of new spellbinders that they didn't have on the wall! So I revamped my purchase...got the ones I wanted, and finally got to the checkout with my 50 percent off coupon for my ATG. Then the girl tells me that the ATG is on sale for 10 dollars off, so I couldn't use my coupon!!! So annoying. Anyone else have similar experiences? I mean, I did get everything at a discount...but of course cuoldn't use any coupons. Our j's usually has those percent off signs up, but..nothing today.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to deedee49

I went in Mon PM and they had several clearance bins at the door, full of scrap stuff, mostly Martha punches. the sign said clearance, but the prices were $19 for the 2 punch border/corner set, and other ridiculously high prices for other punches! $19 is like almost full price for those things! Plus, there were no MS items left on the shelves...& my J's had gotten rid of their HUGE EK Success line just a few months ago! I am SOO unhappy with their selection of scrap stuff now...it barely exists!! -Chris

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to deedee49

it is annoying when they have sales but don't put the signs up,,,,,you can't plan well that way. But it's better than no coupons at all

Expert
In response to CommaHolly

I guess, Holly..but..I would have left with almost nothing if I didn't realize there was a sale. And I was mad cause I wanted the cricut new frame cart..and the card was hanging on the wall, but..it was sold out. There has to be a better way to do it.
Sometimes I wonder if it's just easier to buy eveyrthing online.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-19-12 06:24 PM
In response to deedee49

It is TOTALLY easier to buy online, I'm sorry to say. I get some fabric and sewing stuff at J's, but it's small and carries very little scrappy stuff, I almost never even look. I go to M's occasionally but usually what I'm looking for is either out of stock or what's on the shelf is damaged. I order from here and a couple of other websites and I'm never disappointed.

Expert
In response to stick

I have to say our J's is pretty big...4 full aisles of scrappy and stamping stuff...both sides of the aisles. But..seems a little light on the spellbinders....they have a lot of paper and stickers..things like that.And lots of punches. But of course they don't carry all the specialty paper lines...except for dcwv.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-20-12 03:14 AM
In response to deedee49

I'm with Stick - I mostly use J's for sewing and mostly the necessities at that. Our is small, dark and usually a mess.
One thing I have learned though is to price scan anything I am interested in...saves me lots of aggravation.

I go to LSS or here for most of my scrappy supplies.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to GMFTS

I'm aggrevated with all the big box scrapbook stores. I can't find any double-sided fall paper anywhere! Don't want to order on-line and pay for shipping. I was wanting to experiment and make a pinwheel wreath for the fall.

Debbie2006
Resident
Debbie2006
In response to t-scraps

I agree Joanns used to be really good to go to but anymore i dont shop there for scrapbook stuff at all. I use it usually for fabrics and yarn and will wander through the scrapbook stuff but havent bought anything in a long time. We recently move to Mesa and there are four locations i have been to. Two are pretty good and two arent. I recently went to to location on Main and its an older smaller one and I am sorry to say i walked in when they arguing with a teacher about proving she was a teacher. They were nothing but nice to me but it was strange they didnt seem to know how to use the phone coupons (well not that strange).

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to t-scraps

I have 2 J's around me and both are lacking in the scrapbook section - I have been to several larger J's that are hours away and love them - they have a huge scrapbook section!!

I have noticed time and time again - that J's has things on sale that are not listed. It never fails that I get to the register and the same think happens to me!!! Also - J's isn't known for the best customer service - they are generally very slow at the registers.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to SmartyPants

and here comes the canadian with my perennial complaint that there are NO other major craft stores other than M's! i loooove going to HL or Joanns when we are on your side of the tracks, since it's a variety after all! and paying $19 for Martha's punch combo sounds like a dream - it's around 35 at my store... and as for dies - say, for ranger dies, we have 3 cards on the wall, don't know what's in stock, but in any case i only get to choose from the three at most... not to mention how slow the new stuff seeps in. thank goodness for the small scrapbooking stores!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-20-12 10:10 AM
In response to OlesyaK.

I was so excited because they just built a HUGE new J's very close to my place. The other one wasn't far... about 15 minutes away, but this one was closer and new. First time I went in, they hardly had anything for scrapbooking. I thought maybe it's because they were new and hadn't gotten all their inventory in. But then I went again about a month later and it was exactly the same. So I don't know if J's is planning on reducing their scrappy stuff. Since this is a brand new store, I would expect that they would be fully stocked on everything they intend to carry.

Tenant
In response to Vae

I pretty much don't get excited about J's and their coupons. Haven't been there in months for this very reason. Why bother when you can't use the coupons for the items you really want?

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to Schokoküsse

I haven't been to J's or M's in quite a few months. When I need something in particular I have been buying from here and Amazon for my cartridges.

I would just like to say the customer service here is awesome. I had some issues with some Tombow adhesives-some of the cards and layouts I made came apart and I have had to redo some of my cards and layouts. Must have been a bad batch from the manufacturer or something. Anyway, I dropped a little note here and SB is going to refund my money for the package of adhesives I bought.

YAAAAAAAAY me!

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to pamela.tx

• pamela.tx Said:

I would just like to say the customer service here is awesome. I had some issues with some Tombow adhesives-some of the cards and layouts I made came apart and I have had to redo some of my cards and layouts. Must have been a bad batch from the manufacturer or something. Anyway, I dropped a little note here and SB is going to refund my money for the package of adhesives I bought.

That's so awesome that they refunded your money. Gotta love this place!

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to fknapoleon

Yeah I bought few things on here. I like how the package the stuff. The Joanne I have here in town. Doesn't seemed to carry any or none of Tim Holtz distress ink. So I just got some ink pad with stamps. Because I was going there for that and Tim Holtz distress ink. The Joann's 15 mins away it bit bigger has everything in there. I guess they are expanding their store. Few weeks ago when I was in there I saw them working on part of the extra building that close next to Joanne. I manily will go to Michaels that where I got my ATG gun and Tim Holtz distress Ink. I shop on here or amazon for most of my scrapbooking, art or photography stuff.

Justie

http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to justartguy007

I have a very pretty, very big, brand new J's near me, but the scrapping area is meh ... it has a decent amount of stuff, but I can't remember the last time I saw something NEW in the scrapping section ... and now that they won't let you use coupons on Nesties, I have no real reason to go there anymore

Expert
In response to madmatter

I will agree that the customer service here at scrapbook.com is amazing.
And the J's people do try to help out. Lots of time they just don't know their stock. And I guess I can't blame them...not everyone is a crafter, sewer, knitter...etc...they just can't know what or where everything is.
At M's...I can't get the time of day.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to deedee49

Our Js is OK. I haven't been in any others to know how it compares with other Js. Our M's carry more TH products, but my Js is better for pp/cs and lots of Fiskars. The nestie cards I've taken to the register have always been in stock.

However, we have NO assistance. Two or three people work at the front registers and they normally check out fast, efficiently...and even are friendly, but they are kept busy. There is a woman cutting fabric who tries to help, but her area is obviously sewing.

Hubby finally scrounged up someone else from the back, but she couldn't speak English so just handed us her scanner, which wasn't much help for the question I had.

I don't mind that they don't take most of my coupons because the scrapping stuff is usually on a better sale than the coupon would be anyway. Plus, every so often there is the coupon for a discount on sale items (with exclusions), but it helps for ink, adhesives, etc.

I mostly do online ordering at Js since there is a much bigger selection, and their dies are often on a really good sale. (Right now it's cricut carts on sale, which I don't need since I have SCAL.) And I always buy enough for free shipping ~Judy

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to mrsdriver5

In the beginning of the summer, my J's advertised they were renovating with an "expanded" scrap section...I missed the week they removed EVERY EKSuccess item and clearanced it, to replace it with...nothing I could determine. Although the already decently sized Fiskars section got minutely larger.

This past week I went in and again, EVERY Martha S. item was on "clearance" (yet not clearance prices, strangely enough). Less and less paper choices, noticably less of everything. I specifically mention the Martha punch price, $19, as too high, because I recently scored a bunch of MS and EK punches at Marshalls for a STEAL - $3.99 ea!!! (thanks to another post a few wks back.) Now THAT is clearance! I ended up spending almost $100 that trip! Unfortunately, I have no more $$ to spend on scrapping now, but fortunately I have plenty already in my possession! HA!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics