Username Post: December daily?        (Topic#1580897)
kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Has anyone done a December daily album before?
I was thinking of doing it this year and have done a bit of research but was wondering how those of you who have done one before, approached it?.........

Thanks!
Alison

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to kiyawinn

I did my first one last year. I decided to go from Thanksgiving through New Years Eve, since that's what I consider my holiday season. I did one page per day, often using just one photo. I used an 8x8 album that I already had, and since I typically do 2-page layouts, I made my facing pages match. I used a lot of supplies from my stash. I did it my own way, and I really like how it turned out. I can't wait to do one for this year!

Here's a link to my 2011 December Daily.
http://tanyaham.blogspot.com/p/december-daily-2011 .html

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to tanyaham

I saw Ali Edward's December Daily kit go on pre-order. It's a whooping $90.00!!!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to t-scraps

I'm doing one this year and I'm making my own - no kits. I'm thinking maybe an 8 1/2 by 11 book, I've never worked with that size before.

I'm ridiculously excited to get started.

I'll try to do one picture per day, but refuse to stress about it if I can't.

Debby Lewis
Expert
Debby Lewis
In response to kelseymel

My first one was last year and I loved doing it. I didn't have the funds for the kits so I created my own with all the overabundant Christmas paper I have. I'm think about how to design mine this year....it is so worth it...my grown kids loved it.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to Debby Lewis

One thing I did last year that really helped me ... I used a calendar to map out what we were doing on certain days (which were obvious photo ops), and then filled in with day-to-day things, like wrapping gifts, baking, getting my cards mailed ... it helped with getting a pic per day.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-20-12 05:23 AM
In response to Debby Lewis

• KeepsakeDesigner Said:
My first one was last year and I loved doing it. I didn't have the funds for the kits so I created my own with all the overabundant Christmas paper I have. I'm think about how to design mine this year....it is so worth it...my grown kids loved it.

I am intrigued that your grown kids loved it. I was reading this thread and thought 'why would I do one, I live alone and my kids are gone' and then I saw your remark.
What did you put in yours?

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to GMFTS

Tanya, your DD is fantastic! Thanks for linking it here.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to kelseymel

Ah, thank you soooo much, Melissa!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to tanyaham

Yes, Tanya, I really like your album!

I will make my own as well....I have tons of Christmas stuff, embellishments, paper, etc...
I found a bunch of links to December Daily prompts on-line and some of them are pretty cool....make cookies for a neighbour, putting up the tree, writing a letter to Santa (I have a 6 yr. old), build a snowman, donate old toys to a charity, things like that....
I do an advent calender each year with my son so I was thinking that I would type out the prompts and put them in the advent calender with the candies for each day....
That way, my son can be involved and we will photograph our "prompt" for each day.....
I'm looking forward to it!

Alison

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
Yes, Tanya, I really like your album!

I will make my own as well....I have tons of Christmas stuff, embellishments, paper, etc...
I found a bunch of links to December Daily prompts on-line and some of them are pretty cool....make cookies for a neighbour, putting up the tree, writing a letter to Santa (I have a 6 yr. old), build a snowman, donate old toys to a charity, things like that....
I do an advent calender each year with my son so I was thinking that I would type out the prompts and put them in the advent calender with the candies for each day....
That way, my son can be involved and we will photograph our "prompt" for each day.....
I'm looking forward to it!

Alison

What a great idea!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to kelseymel

I'm going to A December Weekly! Cuz that's all I can manage! LOL!

Actually this sounds really fun and interesting!!! I typically don't like the holidays but this may make it fun!

Edited by Doreena on 09-20-12 11:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to tanyaham

• tanyaham Said:

Here's a link to my 2011 December Daily.
http://tanyaham.blogspot.com/p/december-daily-2011 .html

Beautifully done!!!!

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to Kim222

Thank you so much!!!!

CKohn
CKohn 
Resident
CKohn
  • CKohn on 09-20-12 12:54 PM
In response to tanyaham

I saw it on Ali Edward's board when they annouced the preorder for the Kit. I think I might just detailed journal over the christmas break since we will be celebrating the holiday with both sides of the family.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to CKohn

I suppose if i did one this year using my own materials i could somehow oncorperaate it into my project Life somehow. hmmmm.

becouse by that time I'm just waiting for pL to end.

CKohn
CKohn 
Resident
CKohn
  • CKohn on 09-20-12 01:19 PM
In response to cescrapper

I tried doing a project life this year as well. It is an epic fail for me. I have printed pictures out and they have been sorted into the respective week. I have taken some journaling for some momement but the album has not been put together at all.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to CKohn

Here's the list of December Daily & 25 Days of Christmas albums that I've completed...

Note: In an attempt to keep ahead of the game & also to try & use up some supplies, I went ahead and already pre-setup my 2013 album yesterday!

2013 - 12 x 12 album (Walmart)

2012- 12 x 12 album (Walmart)

2011 - 12 x 12/American Crafts/D-ring/Jolly By Golly Collection (Scrapbook.com)

2010 - 12 x 12/American Crafts/D-ring/DCWV Christmas Stack (Scrapbook.com/Joanns)

2009 - 9 x 9/Making Memories/Fresh Anthology (Big Lots)

2008 - 8½ x 11 album (DIY)

2007 - Acrylic album (DIY)

Products Referenced in This Post:

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

The key for me is...

1) Having your supplies purchased & onhand

2) Having a calendar in the front of the book

3) Setting up your pages & page numbering in advance. In my case, the earlier the better. I find that waiting anytime past Thanksgiving is far to late to start or try to get organized.

HTH!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to CKohn

• CKohn Said:
I tried doing a project life this year as well. It is an epic fail for me. I have printed pictures out and they have been sorted into the respective week. I have taken some journaling for some momement but the album has not been put together at all.

Project 52 (Weekly)...

or even 12 Months At A Glance (monthly scrapping/1 page/A Month in Review)

...might be other ways to go.

With Project Life, I always start off strong, but by the middle of the year, I'm forever playing catchup!

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to GMFTS

• KeepsakeDesigner Said:
I created my own with all the overabundant Christmas paper I have.

• tanyaham Said:
I did one page per day, often using just one photo. I used an 8x8 album that I already had, and since I typically do 2-page layouts, I made my facing pages match. I used a lot of supplies from my stash. I did it my own way, and I really like how it turned out.

This & this!

This was the key to completing the setup of mine this year.

I used up about 40-50 sheets of Christmas paper this year (*on 2 albums). What a motivation & relief to finally be able to put all of that paper into use!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to KellyCali

thanks for all of the tips. i first heard this term today, so i am glad i have not only the digi form of carta bella's m & b collection, but i have the cardstock on the way. this should make making both of my albums easy. I'm doing on for each set of grandparents for a fun after christmas gift. i'll wrap and send after christmas. They will be tailored to each set of grandparents likes i'll post a blog to it for you to see as we do it.

ScrappinMom4
Guru
ScrappinMom4
In response to KellyCali

Tanya, your DD is great...commented at your blog and am now a follower!

Doreen, I love the weekly idea...trying to figure out how to do weekly with a smaller album, but also have the freedom to put in daily pages too...maybe in clear pages that are slightly smaller? That way all the fun but no 'guilt' if/when I don't keep up daily.

Alison, I have always had an Advent box (it's in my gallery if anyone wants to see) for my kiddos too, so incorporating some of those things we do will be a great idea.

I have always wanted to do a DD and love all the ideas shared here...thanks Alison for the question too!

ScrappinMom4
Guru
ScrappinMom4
In response to ScrappinMom4

If someone wants a kit I just saw this in the sb.com store:

Teresa Collins - Christmas Cottage Collection - Christmas Countdown Memory Album Kit $19.99

Good price for sure!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to KellyCali

December daily seems to be something that keeps coming up. I have never done one before. I am thinking that I just might plan something this weekend and see what I can come up with for a December daily and get the whole family involved.

shellye819
New Kid On the Block
shellye819
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Hello! Simple Stories is hosting a December Daily Blog Hop today featuring their SN@P albums...lots of great ideas for DD
http://simplestories.typepad.com/simple_stories/2012/1 1...

Plus they're giving away two prize packs of SN@P December Daily goodies!!!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to shellye819

tfs. entered

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics