Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Another Magazine Bit The Dust        (Topic#1580919)
t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps

Scrapbooks, Etc. will no longer be published. There aren't many LSSs stores anymore either. Has the scrapbooking industry peaked? Is it the ecomony? Neither? Both? What are your thoughts?

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to t-scraps

I think it's technology...Everything can be done online nowadays!

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to t-scraps

I agree, I think on line publications will be the future. Too bad, I like paper but environmentally.....better.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-20-12 10:16 AM
In response to CrimsonMama

If a mag is actually formatted for reading online, I'm starting to enjoy them more than paper. I only get one mag at the moment and I read it on an ipad app, which it is formatted for, and it takes full advantage of the technology to add extra content like videos.

LSS's I think just can't compete with big box in so many ways, especially with the constant coupons that M's and J's has. And online shopping - even if you pay for shipping - can be lots better because you can get nearly anything, whereas with a B&M store you're stuck to the stock they carry. Not to mention that at least where I live the rents and etc. are impossible, there's no way an LSS could support itself for long.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-20-12 10:30 AM
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:
I think it's technology...Everything can be done online nowadays!

Well I can't read an online mag in the tub unless I take the risk of ruining my electronic device.

I can't rip out pages, or turn down the corners, or flip back and forth easily.

Yes - I know, online I can do all of those things in a different way but not in a friendly way.

When I want to go look at something really close up I prefer paper.

And paper is far easier on my eyes and for someone who is having major issues with vision and pain from too much computer time that is huge.

Veteran
In response to GMFTS

It was one of my favorite scrapbooking magazines.I still miss Simple Scrapbooking Magazine.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to SHARON ELISE

We have a wonderful LSS here, I think it depends on where you are.

I love magazines, but not scrap mags. I think that there are plenty of other resources for scrappers and that the mags can be outdated before you even get them!

kmorgan1982
Tenant
kmorgan1982
In response to t-scraps

I had a store for 3 yrs. You cannot compete with the big box stores unless your customers support you. You can order in exactly what your customer wants if they will just ask. You can usually provide. But,,, they have to shop your store. Go visit a LSS today (hopefully you still have one in your neighborhood!)

kmorgan1982
Tenant
kmorgan1982
In response to GMFTS

i like a hardcopy too!

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to kmorgan1982

I try to buy from my local store as much as I can...their prices are maybe a bit higher than online when you consider shipping charges...but I would rather pay for the convenience of shopping there vs. waiting for shipment. And I would rather be able to see paper and match cardstock colors, which is hard to do with online shopping. When I am in TX I do shop at J's, M's and HL (don't have a LSS there)...but here in CO I want my local store to stay in business. And they are wonderful about ordering special things for me.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to bigredssw

We had 4 (2 awesome and 2 notsomuch) LSS's and over the past 5 years, only one is left. Sooo sad. Luckily, I love the LSS we have left here. So much product--always new stuff to see--lots of classes--special sales--free make & takes--fun crops--they'll special order anything--helpful and friendly staff that (get this) actually USE the products they sell (ahem Ms & Js!) and they send a 40% coupon in their weekly newsletter. You have to spend $25 to get the 40, but like bigredssw said, I'll pay a little bit extra to keep our store going.

I'll miss Scrapbooks Etc, too.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Kim222

One of our LSS closed about a year ago...my favourite local one is still open. My very favourite store is about an hour and half drive from where I live so I only visit occasionally....
My favourite magazine is our "Canadian Scrapbooker"...it's really thick, has tons of great articles! The only downside is that it only comes out once per season (4x per year)...

I prefer an actual magazine to the on-line ones as well. I think the reason so many are shutting down is probably a complicated equation to do with fewer advertising dollars (advertisers probably prefer on-line ads....), maybe fewer customers and higher costs.....
Even if customers prefer the paper version, the advertisers are probably getting a bigger bang for their buck advertising on blogs, websites etc...and still hitting the same customers....

Alison

res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d
In response to kiyawinn

I would just love to have a LSS!! None anywhere near me!! The big stores carry the same old stuff. I like being able to see paper collections in person versus online. I have purchased some and the coloring isn't what I expected!!! I do shop online for other things however and it's always fun getting packages in the mail!!!

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to kiyawinn

We've had 3 LSS come and go around here...they just can't make a go of it for one reason or another. The closest shop now is about 1/2 hour away. We are supposed to be getting an M's sometime soon though. I just get the Canadian Scrapbooker now also.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SandraB.

I've seen local scrapbook stores bite the dust and usually the owners haven't been friendly, they were poorly run, never had new merchandise. Just not great store.

I've seen many local scrapbook stores thrive because they are doing everything right. I know of scrapbook stores around the country which are doing great. The one near me in the Villages - they just moved to a bigger store with better parking last year. They bring in guest artists like Tim Holtz and Theresa Collins. Great crops which are reasonably prices - 4 retreats a year. The owners are wonderful and everyone loves them. Always plenty of new things.

There are a lot of awesome scrapbook store out there but they really ahve to be good to compete with the box store.

Cindyckj
Expert
Cindyckj
In response to SandraB.

Oh boy this reminds me of my lss. I very rarely was able to go there cause it was like 45 min away but the main reason was cause they very rarely got anything new.

She had a page for fb and said she got some newstuff so I asked if she had gotten any mist and cub scout paper. And I got that whoever she gets her mist that they were out and the cub scout paper was hard to find.

So then when I contacted the manufacturers they both said that wasn't true.

The from her I get the "we have to be realistic speech" since I already knew she was lying and she just didn't want to get that stuff.

So I suggested that she could maybe take that tons of clearance stuff and maybe make several ebay lots to clear some room and have more money. And I said I guess i'd just try ebay for the stuff I couldn't get at her store.

Then I got the "it's people like you who put us out of business" speech. I was like Wait 1 minute! Everytime i've been there I could not find a single thing I went in there looking for but I always bought something even If I didn't want too!

First time i've ever been banned from anything but I got banned from her fb page and then I got a message from someone saying she'd keep me posted about a new store opening soon. Apparently some of the employees got so tired of dealing with her angry customers that they quit and openeed their own store.

Later that old lss had their first annual yard sale the following year they had their second and went out of business shortly after.

When the new store opened and they realized who I was they gave me a gift and at the first crop people felt bad for what that lady had done to me. Every time I tried that old lss I was treated like I had no idea what I was doing and half the time they had never even heard of the product I was asking about. But yet I still bought something from her. Most of the stuff in that store was probably at least 8 years old.

She even sent somebody on here after me as well.

just remembered a little more.

I think she just bought the stuff she liked and it was a big store. she still had stuff from companies like all my memories and daisy d's that have been out of business for years. Clearance prices were like just a maybe a a buck cheaper. And when she was going out of business she finally decided to put out new stuff that she'd been hoarding. Like it was before christmas time and she'd been saving valentine paper to put out at valentine day. She'd been saving it for almost a year.

And when she went out of business it wasn't till the last day I think that things finally only went down to 50% of. I really think she just wanted to hoard it all and take it home.

Edited by Cindyckj on 09-20-12 08:26 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Expert
In response to Cindyckj

I love my LSS...great store. I shop there usually when I do big projects...love the specialty paper. She has a ton of classes and crops. Always fun to see what's new and exciting.

As for magazines...I like a hard copy too...I find it hard to leaf through a magazine online. Even my grocery store isn't carrying scrapbook magazines anymore. And my target only carries one...and I subscribe to it. I have found some Aussie and England mags at B&N. Those are interesting, but pretty expensive.

I don't think there is any comparison between a big box store and a LSS. I don't know about your big box stores..but the paper they carry is nothing like a LSS. Our BBS doesn't carry any specialty lines..except coordinations. You aren't finding BO Bunny or Graphic 45 in ours. BBS are great for the basics but to get the newest and the quality lines, you need to go to a LSS or order online.

Edited by deedee49 on 09-21-12 05:49 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to deedee49

The South Florida area does not have any local LSS stores. There used to be a few but they all went out of business. I loved shopping at one of the LSS stores but I guess it is just really hard to keep going when there are tons of M's and J's around.

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I'm in South Florida. I had one LSS close (about 45 mins away). But the manager has gone back to preorders with pickup, which is how she began before opening the storefront. The rent was just too high I guess. But she sends out an email with the new collections, tells you what she plans on getting, you email your order, and pick up when it comes in. There's usually not a long wait for items either so it works out fine. I do have another LSS close to home but haven't had an opportunity to go there recently so I'm not sure if they're still open. But they're exclusively scrapbooking and I don't do 12x12 so I've never really gone that often anyway...

Hey Jude
Veteran
Hey Jude
In response to traceyjean

There is no LSS near me. I think I would frequent that for single page patterned paper and cardstock if there was one.

I LOVE hard copy mags... online, not so much.

Edited by Hey Jude on 09-24-12 07:19 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics