Page 2 of 3 
Username Post: Another Magazine Bit The Dust        (Topic#1580919)
DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to Hey Jude

The one LSS near me closed. I loved the stuff they had and would have gone in there alot more IF the owner was nice. She was very cold, made you feel like you were gonna steal something and more than once made me stand around and wait to checkout while she chit chatted with her friend. Not a great shopping experience at ALL. I'm sure I wasn't the only one that felt that way-no wonder she closed

I miss Scrapbooks Etc! I wasn't a subscriber but picked one up every now and then. I love the technology of online-but prefer paper. I can't take my Ipad in the hot tub! I have an Ipad, a Kindle and I still buy paper books. After Scrapbooks Etc announced they were shutting down I went on E**y and bought a ton of back copies

Seaside Dreams
Veteran
Seaside Dreams
In response to DittoBabyGirl

I wish I had a LSS. The closest one to me is an hour away. I like it, but it's really small. The other one is another 20 minutes or so farther. They have more things, but still not close enough to make myself any sort of regular.

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to Seaside Dreams

My closest LSS is 60 miles away, so is Walmart!! So I am always looking for the excuse to go over there to hit both places....LOL!! The LSS is in the back room of an auto parts store!! But since her dad owns the store, I assume she has either free or very cheap rent...which allows her to stay open when the other store closed because of high rent. And she has such good stuff for sale, I don't mind that the display isn't the greatest. She and her mom run the store and they are so friendly and helpful that I love going in and always want to stay longer. (Hubby is usually waiting in the car.) The big stores are good, but there is nothing like the personal and knowledgeable service I get here!!!

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to bigredssw

I am lucky - we have 3 LSS with 30 mins of me. 2 of them are wonderful - the other is very large but doesn't seem to carry as many of the tools and supplies. I love going to all of them but the other 2 are definitely my favorites!!

As for mags - I think it's sad to see them end. I too like to have the paper version. For me - it's more convenient to use!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to SmartyPants

No LLS around here but have a small J's. The closest scrapbook store is 2 hr away so it is a "girls day out" to go there. I quit buying magazines because I have so many and I find tons of ideas and articles online. I am thankful for scrapbook.com to keep me updated with the fresh ideas and techniques. Thanks everyone!

Diva
In response to Hey Jude

BAd news for those os uf who don't have online services at home. I rather have the paper copy.

angik
angik 
Expert
angik
  • angik on 09-25-12 09:08 AM
In response to t-scraps

Sad I like to read the magazines in paper just like books, but it's true everything is going online. Saddened about LSS stores too but the big stores can keep costs less like Hobby Lobby, Micheals and such. I think scrapbooking will always be around.

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to Hey Jude

There are no LSS around me not for like 4 hr drive. And the closet box store is 45 min away. So I dont shop at either much. And I dont like shoppin on line. So I save my money to make it count when i go shopping lol .. As far as the magazine thing. I sure miss the magazines. I dont like to read them on computer and i will never SB digitally. I would rather give up the hobby. BC That would defeat MY purpose to scrap. (It is my therapy )Bc i like to play with the paper, scissors, stuff. etc. Kajunkat Mary

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-25-12 05:45 PM
In response to kajunkat

We just got a new LSS about 2 blocks from where I live. I was seriously the happiest person in the world when I found out. They opened in July and I went for opening weekend. They have an amazing space... lots of crop space. Tons of tables, great natural light. No computer or wifi though, which makes it tough for me because I pretty much constantly look for ideas and techniques on my computer.

Unfortunately, after only a few months, they posted on FB that things have been really slow and they've cut back their hours.

Selection - My box stores have many more different types of papers. The LSS has more from specific product lines, but they are all kind of cutesy and mostly not my style. I've bought some papers that I thought I could use, but not very many. But if I go to a box store, I can usually find something from DCWV or at least more variation in the generic patterned paper.

The paper prices are kind of high, but I don't mind that when I just want a few sheets of something specific. Stickles are twice the price, but again I only bought one there. Usually, when I am in buying mode, I want to stock up, and unfortunately I just can't do it at these prices. If I want to buy 10 stickles, I'm going to go online. And the tools are outrageously expensive. They don't do any coupons at all. I'm all for supporting my local LSS, but I honestly cannot rationalize spending $60 on an ATG that I know I can get for $20.

I think I would go more if: 1) I didn't get as much pressure by the people working there, 2) they sent out a coupon every once in a while, 3) I would love to see some thing vintage-y or Tim Holtz-ish.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-25-12 05:47 PM
In response to Vae

As for the magazines, my mind thinks I love paper magazines. However, in reality, I don't look at them (nor do I look at digital versions). I usually search for something on google and go to the images and then go to the site where the pic is. Or I search pinterest. The reason? I honestly don't think to flip through a magazine when I'm looking for something specific.

Of course, I have an entire bookshelf full of magazines and idea books, complete with flags on the pages I liked. But I only bring them out to look through them once every few months at the most.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to Vae

I used to go to my LSS all the time, but haven't lately simply because they can't keep up with carrying all the latest and greatest. When I first started out, I wasn't as picky and bought what they carry, but now that I've accumulated so much, I'm more selective. Now I tend to just shop online at sb.com.

That being said though, I do miss touching and feeling the product before purchasing. I recently purchased papers online from 2 manufacturers whom I've never bought stuff from before. One (Jillibean Soup), the quality was fantastic. The other I was not so pleased and wouldn't have bought if I had actually felt it at the store. There are other times where I'd ordered something online and the color wasn't quite what I'd anticipated.

In short, there are good and bad things about online vs. brick and mortar stores.

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans
In response to Mama2Thomas

We don't have any local stores. The closest is in the city about 90 miles away. I stock up when we go and order a lot, but agree I prefer to see and handle the stuff.

Great idea someone earlier had about getting back issues on evilbay. I bought 46 issues last night in one lot...scrapbooks, etc, creating keepsakes, memory makers,simple scrapbooks. $9.99!

I don't like digital at all. I got sxrapbooks, etc both in paper and on my kindle. I prefer the paper version.

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to 4tgrfans

I hope they keep the website up and running for reference. Website bandwidth costs money also but with all the pop up ads there, maybe it can run itself.

I prefer magazines over online versions. You can pick a magazine up months later and find more inspiration! You can share them (magazines) and the inspiration (ideas) they give you with others.

The expense of paper and ink, competing for the advertising dollar, and companies having their own websites/blogs, making demo videos, tweeting, and FB fan pages, well, hard for LSS to be the middleman.

A few months ago, I renewed for another two years but they must have known then this was going to happen because they plan articles months in advance, so I feel very deceived to get a substitute for my remaining issues.
I am donating all my new replacement subscription BHG magazines to the public library.

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans
In response to PokeyMom

I don't even read my BHG either.What were they thinking ?!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-26-12 05:42 PM
In response to 4tgrfans

Several people have called them to cancel their BHG replacement subscription and get a refund. Might be worth a shot if you don't read it.

timon
timon 
Veteran
timon
  • timon on 09-26-12 07:14 PM
In response to Doreena

I agree! technology is taking over.

• Doreena Said:
I think it's technology...Everything can be done online nowadays!

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to timon

I'm deffinately a paper gal too! I have always kept the magazines from when I had a subscription or bought a sb magazine so I still even have a few memory makers magazines.

One thing my new lss does is they have what's called "Trendy tuesday". So they do a video of a technique or how to use a new product and then for a week or something that product is featured in some kind of sale.

You can look up trendy tuesday and find the videos if you like.

I'm really blessed to finally have such a nice lss with a really really awsome owner!

I get paid just once a month and so during my monthly grocery shopping day I go in town and hit several stores. And so I go and spend as much as I can.

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to Cindyckj

I dont like my BHG either... if i would have wanted it i would have subscribed. They should have at least given us a couple of choices. And I am not a fan of technology either.. I think it is overrated in my book.

blooberry56
Guru
blooberry56
In response to kajunkat

My husband and I own a small print shop - and the industry is dying. I've seen TONS of large (and small) print shops close...people just don't do print promotion as much as they used to, for whatever reason. I'm lucky to have my business in a community that's quite...uhm...elderly. They're not much for technology (for the most part - prolly because Verizon is JUST putting in FIOS and the internet speeds are just now catching up.)

As for LSS's...I adore mine! They bring in special artists, pair with another SS a few hours away for large events and have new product coming in! We only have one (plus all the big box stores), but I prefer my LSS for variety. The box stores just don't carry as much! And the ability to splurge when I have extra cash helps, too. =)

slyn11
slyn11 
Resident
slyn11
In response to blooberry56

I love my LSS too. They have great taste, a nice variety of classes and they will do their part in staying involved with the local crafting community.

Page 2 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics