Page 2 of 3 
Username Post: Sizzix Big Shot or Cuttlebug        (Topic#1580935)
binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Henri Jean

The Big Kick and Big Shot are the same machine. Same size and cuts the same things. As far as cutting 12X12...the ONLY machine is the big shot PRO!!! Keep in mind the pro is about $250 or at least it was when I bought mine, and I think I got a good deal on it at that! Both the pro and the big shot can emboss thin metal...(like sheeting from Home Depot). They can cut many different materials, tin, sponge, grunge board, chip board.
Between the pro and the big shot, they will both cut the same stuff, it is the size that they differ on. Keep in mind, the pro dies (12X12) are more expensive too. But you can use regular dies in it as well. I have only seen the pro online, never in a store.

New Kid On the Block

I haven't checked my HL yet for the BigShot, it only shows the BigKick on their website, so I hope they have the Big Shot in the store. I have no idea what the difference is between the two, (anyone know the pros and cons?)but more people seem to rave about the BS and the Cuttlebug more than anything else, and they both seem reasonable for the price.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ♥HappyCat♥

BibKick and BigShot same machine - different color I think. I don't know why Sizzix made them in different colors and gave them different names. Vagabond is the same machine too only it is electric. That is my understanding - somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Cuttlebug almost the same but smaller and not as sturdy.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• ♥HappyCat&# 9829; Said:
I haven't checked my HL yet for the BigShot, it only shows the BigKick on their website, so I hope they have the Big Shot in the store. I have no idea what the difference is between the two, (anyone know the pros and cons?)

They're identical except for the coloring, so no worries as to which one's available in store.

Melonhead
Tenant
Melonhead
In response to aquabunny

I waw a video that explained the Big Shot is for regular scrapbooking outlets, and the Big Kick is for big box stores like Walmart or Michael's.

Why they needed to make that distinction is beyond me, but I'm sure they had their reasons.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Melonhead

I got my Big Shot from Amazon - weird.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

I have (and love!) a big shot and it will cut many materials including craft metal, veneer, sponge, magnet, plastic etc provided you use the correct dies. The low profile dies will only cut paper, but the steel rule dies (from various manufacturers) will cut through other things like butter.

For 12x12 embossing, you might want to look at Xyron's Creatopia machine. Its a manual machine that has different accessories, some of which emboss. They have 12x12 as well as border size embossing rollers.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to Kim222

I have the cuttlebug and a bunch of embossing folders and a few dies. I think its good for smaller projects, like it I want to add spice to a punched shape. I even heard you can be more creative and ink the folders and run through the machine. I havent tried it yet but I will soon. I dont know anything about the Bigshot though. Good luck.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Melonhead

• Melonhead Said:
I waw a video that explained the Big Shot is for regular scrapbooking outlets, and the Big Kick is for big box stores like Walmart or Michael's.

Why they needed to make that distinction is beyond me, but I'm sure they had their reasons.

Seems like some stupid marketing ploy, which kind of makes me not like them now. I searched high and low on their site, but couldn't find one thing about them being the same product. I also noticed they don't give out as much info as some of the other sites like Spellbinder. Annoying...

New Kid On the Block

I was going to get one today at Michaels with my 40% off coupon, but maybe I'll see if Amazon has them cheaper. I was thinking of just getting a used red and white Big Shot.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Mia1979

• Mia1979 Said:
...I even heard you can be more creative and ink the folders and run through the machine. I havent tried it yet but I will soon. I dont know anything about the Bigshot though. Good luck.

Oh wow....more things to try, that sounds really cool!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:

For 12x12 embossing, you might want to look at Xyron's Creatopia machine. Its a manual machine that has different accessories, some of which emboss. They have 12x12 as well as border size embossing rollers.

I am going to go google that one now...thank you!

New Kid On the Block

Creatopia is cool, its embosses 123" wide but why oh why doesn't it cut 12" wide??? Sheesh. I may just start out small, get a used big shot red and white and see what I can do with it, if its fun to work with and I want to go bigger I guess I can trade up to the big shot pro. I would love for someone to make a machine that does everything up to 12" takes every die and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. sigh.

crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping

i have both. i love my cuddle bug because it is light, folds up and travels well, but the big shot is good if you don't need it to travel and have room for it.

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean

The BigShot is more sturdy and stable than the Cuttlebug, but the Cuttlebug requires less storage space since it folds up. Also, the opening on the BigShot is slightly wider than the Cuttlebug so it will cut larger sized dies. For example, you may be able to cut all but the largest of a Grand Nestabilities set with the BigShot while the Cuttlebug might only allow you to cut all but the largest two...

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Mia1979

• Mia1979 Said:
I have the cuttlebug and a bunch of embossing folders and a few dies. I think its good for smaller projects, like it I want to add spice to a punched shape. I even heard you can be more creative and ink the folders and run through the machine. I havent tried it yet but I will soon. I dont know anything about the Bigshot though. Good luck.

Its no urban myth! I love the look it gives and its fun to experiment with different mediums.

This one is just plain old black soot distress ink right from the pad and the tag was already painted with Silks.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:

Its no urban myth! I love the look it gives and its fun to experiment with different mediums.

This one is just plain old black soot distress ink right from the pad and the tag was already painted with Silks.

That's GORGEOUS!

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

Kim thats flippin' cool.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mia1979

Does it ruin your embossing folders when you put distress ink on them?

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

NOPE!!! I have used Stampin' Up ink and Distressing inks and never had a problem. I just use my stamp cleaner for my Stampin' Up inks and water for my distressing inks to clean up the folders afterwards!
It is a fun to play with inks and folders!

Edited by binkiemonstermom on 09-24-12 04:40 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 2 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics