Username Post: Should I throw out my embossing powder?        (Topic#1580963)
AtlantisAngel98
Tenant
AtlantisAngel98

I have literally searched for hours on this topic. I didn't want to ask in the forum in case it was something that was already covered and didn't happen to see it.

So here's my minor misfortune... I keep my embossing powder in those little sandwich plastic storage things, as I only have 5 embossing powders.I never use embossing powders simultaneously. If I work on another project after that one, the lid is always closed to the powder that was used before. I've been so careful, but I now have specks of black embossing powder in my clear and white embossing powders. There's no picking the black specks out. Do you think that there was maybe some stray embossing powder on my hands even though I check and have a old t-shirt I use for crafting? I don't use a plastic spoon and just use the lid and container that came with it as it fits into the sandwich container because it's big enough. Would I have the same problem if I used a plastic spoon? I want to be as specific as possible.

Do I have to throw it out? I hate wasting things, especially this, because a little goes a long way, you know?
Products Referenced in This Post:

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to AtlantisAngel98

I would keep it and use it. I have embossing powders that are purposely mixed with multiple colors. I would also purchase new clear and white powders. As for how they got mixed and if a spoon would help....I have no idea. I keep mine in their original containers and use a "tidy tray" when embossing. I wash the tray in between switching colors.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Luvmyfam on 09-21-12 08:19 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AtlantisAngel98
Tenant
AtlantisAngel98
In response to Luvmyfam

I did try the tray thing, but somehow I would end up tipping it over because I had like 5 inches of working space lol... I might give that a try again. I forgot about that. The white might be able to mix well with my silver, thanks for the suggestion! The clear might be beyond saving. I hope it's not though! It was like 8 uses new too :-(

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

You could still use the clear, even with some black in it. Who knows...you might want to do a zebra or dalmation LO someday :>) It could work for Halloween...lots of things. Or add some other colors to it for a custom-mix.

You mentioned a plastic spoon. My only thought was that plastic is so "static-y" (not sure that's a word!), but with my tray, the powder and the plastic tray have a weird love affair going on—especially on low-humidity days. I'd either use a clean popsicle/craft stick or a small metal spoon.

If I'm just using a little powder or glitter, instead of using the tray, I fold an index card lengthwise and use it for my catcher, then it easily pours back into the jar and I can just throw the card away...or brush it off good, or roll it with a lint roller, and use it again. Paper works, but the index card is sturdier.~Judy

AtlantisAngel98
Tenant
AtlantisAngel98
In response to mrsdriver5

That's very helpful, thank you! Now that I think of it, even though I had tried to de-static the tray, they also had a gross, public love affair lol. I found that it is near impossible to get all of the embossing powder brushed off of my craft surface (even a non stick craft sheet) I started using one of those lint rollers. It actually helps for a lot of things! But especially any powder.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants

I would definitely keep it!! you never know when you might need it!

Diva
In response to SmartyPants

I will keep it. You will find a way to use it in a creative way!

AtlantisAngel98
Tenant
AtlantisAngel98
In response to bayamonesa1

Thank you so much for your help and ideas. Black specks in the clear looks horrendous.Usually it adds up to one little black speck per letter if I were to stamp with either individual letter stamps or stamps with the sentiment. I have silver, so I'll have to do a little experiment to see if that helps any. maybe like 2 parts clear, .5 parts silver, and .2 with black lol. I wonder what it would look like with pink, white and clear.

I had thought about possibly using it to see if it would work for me or not but couldn't think of any ideas... so again, a big THANK YOU for being awesome and getting the gears going in my head that I might not have to throw it away after all.

whateveriwant
Resident
whateveriwant

LOL, heavens no, don't throw it away!

If the black spots bother you in the clear powder, why not use it over BLACK ink...then you won't really be able to tell.
Also, I like the idea about mixing powders. There are a few companies that specifically sell blends of embossing powders. And remember, you don't just heat emboss stamped images, you can heat emboss pieces of chipboard, cut outs, cardboard and more. Just ink something up, sprinkle the powder on it and heat set it. You can come up with beautiful chipboard pieces that way!

You can also do a heat emboss resist. If you heat emboss a pattern (I like text patterns or floral patters, etc) it won't matter IMO if there are specks of different colors. The different colors of powder will just add some distressed look to it.

Edited by whateveriwant on 09-26-12 03:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-26-12 04:53 PM
In response to whateveriwant

Agree, just use black ink, or a different color. I like to emboss sometimes with Distress Ink - it's a slightly different look, but you can use any color. Or I like your idea of adding more black, possibly some silver. I never mind much when my powders get a little mixed up, I think it adds depth and interest.

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62
In response to stick

Never mind if you've got a slight mix of colours. It'll be unique. Scrapbookers never throw anything out , they just find another way to use it.

Wendy L
Expert
Wendy L
In response to ajsophios62

I use a piece of old paper or packaging as a catcher and funnel excess powder back into the jar afterwards. The paper is thrown away and so there is no transfer of powders.
I'd definitely keep the speckled mix of powder to use on dark inked surfaces or when I want a distressed look - I'd even add some extra of a different colour.

Diva
In response to Wendy L

I agree with the posts. I have one of the CTMH funnel for using embossing powders. I have seen the same product at JoAnns and Michaels.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics