Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: where to start        (Topic#1581021)
kashice4
New Kid On the Block
kashice4

I am a new scrapbooker. I'm recently doing therapy for depression an was told journaling and scrapbooking was a good self help. I sorted through all mypics and have bi clue where to start. I can't seen to come up with a theme for my album. Any ideas?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to kashice4

Your album doesn't need to have a theme. If you have a set of pictures that call out to be scrapbooked, start with those. When I'm not doing travel albums, the bulk of my scrapping is about telling smaller, unrelated stories - two pages about the pepper plants we grew indoors, two pages about a baseball game, one page about the lilac bush in the front yard.

michellesmakingmemories
Tenant
michellesmakingmemories
In response to aquabunny

Welcome! I agree that you don't have to have a theme. Make a scrapbook simply about your life: all of it! I would pick some photos from a memory or experience that makes you happy and start with that. Even if all of the pages are different, it'll still be wonderful and you'll be glad to have it!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to michellesmakingmemories

Just scrap
Easier said than done sometimes, but what I mean is pick one or two pics and start with those. Don't worry about a theme. Like what has been said already, most of my albums are just day to day life. A bunch of "unrelated" stuff I want to record. Could be about anything, or nothing.
There are no rules in this wonderful hobby!

Welcome to the neighborhood!

elizabeth97
Veteran
elizabeth97
In response to Kim222

Nope, your scrapbooks don't have to have a theme. Just pick pictures that mean something to you and build pages around them.

Best of luck in your new hobby!!!!!

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to elizabeth97

I don't have a theme. I don't even scrap in order. I just put in my book what I find interesting.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Lunareclipse

Scrapbooking has no rules! Just start!!!
The gallery is a good place to find inspiration!
Or visits blogs.
Use sketches
Scraplift ideas from magazines.
Just start!!!!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to binkiemonstermom

It would be nice if you had a group to get ideas from. Even if you stopped in a crop for a few minutes you would get the creative juices started. In my area there is not a close store or many crops to attend so I get ideas online and have attended card making classes in another town. I didn't know anyone at the classes but was able to learn how to do something with my supplies. Creative Memories, Stampin Up, etc. are also a good way to start.

Good luck to you and hope you find much joy in your new hobby.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to wilbur

I have a crop at Michaels next weekend, although with so much going on, not likely I will be going. Right now just trying to concentrate on getting my son out of the hospital.

But I would go though pictures and find a picture that makes you smile or several related pictures that make you smile. Then go to the gallery and get ideas. If you pictures are of being at the beach, search beach layouts and get ideas.

Have fun with it.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Henri Jean

I began only 4 years ago with an album for my MIL's/FIL's ruby wedding anniversary. That got me hooked, but then I was like you "where do I go next?" I decided to scrap a page from each month of the year starting the previous month (May), working backwards and forwards. So I did May's page, then April's, March's and February's in June. At the end of June I did June's page then went back to January. Does that make sense? It is hard to describe!

It gave me a focus and a starting point, without giving me too much pressure. If I felt like doing several pages one month, or went on vacation and had lots to scrap, that was OK too. Hope that helps you a little?

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to RedSquirrel

Unless I am doing a special project or something specific I don't need to have a title for my album. I throw whatever in them. You can just start doing pages and put them in the album.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to Mia1979

I just scrap whatever comes to me - favorite things, favorite people, my cats.... And I don't use a theme or a color scheme - I just scrap. And since you're not in the best of emotional places right now, maybe you should scrap those photos (or no photos at all!) that have happy memories attached to them. With no photo, you can just scrap what makes you happy. Or take a picture of a favorite book or stuffed animal or a photo of something you love about where you live. There's a wide range of possibilities, and if you want some help getting started, perhaps you should join a Challenge. They give you a jumping-off point and can sometimes (with me, especially) give me the kick in the behind I need to actually create a LO! Good luck with it!

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to meezerpleaser

I agree with all the other ladies just go ahead and start scrapping. Take your pictures and just coordinate them with matching papers. By doing it this your album might even develop its own theme. My yearly albums don't have a theme as they are just a year in review album. I have tons of different types of papers and embellishments in these albums.

Diva
In response to kashice4

Yes, scrapbooking IS theraputic. It helped me a great deal. Just get your goodies out, & scrap all day. It lifts your spirit. I don't know everything, but I'm getting there S L O W L Y!!!!

necygirl
New Kid On the Block
necygirl
In response to precious310

I agree with what the other people here have said. Just start, don't worry about a theme or putting the photos in order. Just relax and enjoy the paper, glue and goodies.

Have fun and share your pages!!

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to necygirl

I have been scrapping for about ten years and other than putting the heritage pages in a different book, I have no theme at all. I work with whatever pictures or papers/embellies are inspiring me at the time and just have everything in the book in the order I make them. I keep saying that some day I will organize them better, but in the meantime it just gives me so much satisfaction to have done them at all, since I have never had a creative hobby before. So just go with what feels good to you and enjoy the process....that will be the best therapy!! And if you can find a group to scrap with it will add to the fun as well as helping with ideas. I am so fortunate to have found friends here in CO to scrap with...we have lots of fun and help each other all the time with ideas and support.
So I hope you will dive in to this great hobby...and be sure to share your pages here in the gallery!

ScrapbookingJunkie
Tenant
ScrapbookingJunkie
In response to bigredssw

Maybe start with a mini album and don't worry what other people think. When you love it, it is done

Diva
In response to ScrapbookingJunkie

Welcome! Good therapy is to be able to work on something meaningful to you. Just scrap the photos in a layout. Let that flow and maybe you will find the theme!

KDQ
KDQ 
Guru
KDQ
  • KDQ on 10-16-12 06:15 PM
In response to bayamonesa1

I also scrap for depression. It is an awesome way to express your self and journal. You don't need a theme to start. I have certian albums that are themed but to be honest I only work on them when I am in the mood. Try starting with your favorite picture and go from there. You can buy scrap kits to get an idea of what you feel like doing. Just have fun with it!

New Kid On the Block
In response to KDQ

Start and go for it no need for theme and do with hurt.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics