Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: ATG Tips~~Anyone have any?        (Topic#1581023)
pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx

Good morning ladies (and gents)!

I posed this question on another post and haven't gotten much of a response and also tried searching for related topics with no success, so I created my own topic.

I have used my ATG for the first time this weekend and I have to say it is still taking some getting used to. I haven't mastered the trigger yet though. I let go of the trigger but it still seems to roll. Is there some sort of tips anyone can share? Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to hit the trigger more than once to make it stop?

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to pamela.tx

Tip #1: Keep the reloading cardboard instructions!

Tip #2: Let go of the trigger just as you're getting to the end of where you want the tape to stop. Press down firmly at the end to "release" the tape.

Tip #3: Keep at it, its an awesome tool!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ScrappyMama6

What she said. YOu want to release and lift at the same time. If you start to lift before you have released it doens't work well.

If you stop a split second before you lift that may work easier for you. But I release and lift up in the same motion and I have no problem at all.

You will get the hang of it and even be able to glue tight places with it.

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to Henri Jean

Thanks ladies! I won't give up that easily but it will take some getting used to. I was actually able to get it right a couple times. I guess I was trying to lift before releasing the trigger. I don't know.

I will just have to keep scrapping to get the hang of it......OH THE DREAD....J/K....it's something I can't get enough of

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to pamela.tx

I stop the trigger and then pull up, tilting the ATG while I release.
That seemed to help until I got the hang of it. Just hang in there and keep using it. It'll soon become your best adhesive.

scrappinjan
Idol
scrappinjan
In response to fknapoleon

Try you tube, I've had mine for two years now but every time I go to reload it I have to find a you tube video to show me how. I never seem to be able to remember.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to scrappinjan

There is a diagram in the package that is cut to fit in the casing of the ATG. Some of the ladies put it there so it alwyas reminds them how to fill it.

I didn't keep the diagram but never needed it. I can take one out and have another in the ATG in 7 seconds and be working again.

The trick for that is don't let it snap at the end, the minute its pulls hard and you know it is going to snap, change it then. Look at the way the old one is on and then put the new one one the same way.

Really super simple.

Hey Jude
Veteran
Hey Jude
In response to scrappinjan

• scrappinjan Said:
Try you tube, I've had mine for two years now but every time I go to reload it I have to find a you tube video to show me how. I never seem to be able to remember.

Same here!

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx

I did notice when I tilted it to the side when I was done, that is when I had the best results.

I saved the instructions so I will remember how to
reload. From the sounds of it, I will need to keep it there because I won't remember how to do it when the time comes since it lasts for so long.

I really did like the strength of the the adhesive. It seems like the bond is stronger than any other adhesive I have used.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to pamela.tx

Practice, practice, practice

I let go of the trigger, pull away from project, and twist slightly.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Bxr-Linda

Welcome to the ATG fan club! I love this tool so much, I have two - one for acid free and one general purpose tape for cards.

1) As Henri said, try to reload before the tape breaks so you can just follow how the old one went in.
2) Try to avoid changing tapes at 2am when at a weekend retreat. If it works, it'll take 45 minutes at least.
3) A little definitely goes a long way. Every one has his/her own tape application techniques. When I used squares, I would put one in each corner and one in the middle and be done. When I got my ATG, I got a little trigger happy and put a line down each side plus a long line in the middle. Now I've scaled WAY back and put about the size of the one of the 3L squares in the corners and middle.
4) I release trigger, lift handle slightly and keep pulling to break the tape.
5) Practice
6) Have fun

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
Welcome to the ATG fan club! I love this tool so much, I have two - one for acid free and one general purpose tape for cards.

1) As Henri said, try to reload before the tape breaks so you can just follow how the old one went in.
2) Try to avoid changing tapes at 2am when at a weekend retreat. If it works, it'll take 45 minutes at least.
3) A little definitely goes a long way. Every one has his/her own tape application techniques. When I used squares, I would put one in each corner and one in the middle and be done. When I got my ATG, I got a little trigger happy and put a line down each side plus a long line in the middle. Now I've scaled WAY back and put about the size of the one of the 3L squares in the corners and middle.
5) Practice
6) Have fun

I usually put a line down each side and a long line diagonally in the middle because I don't want my edges to come up or the middle.

I can't wait to get home from work so I can play!

Practice makes perfect!

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to pamela.tx

• pamela.tx Said:
  • pugs223 Said:

5) Practice
6) Have fun

I usually put a line down each side and a long line diagonally in the middle because I don't want my edges to come up or the middle.

I can't wait to get home from work so I can play!

Practice makes perfect!

That's exactly what I do!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-24-12 12:54 PM
In response to pamela.tx

• pamela.tx Said:
  • pugs223 Said:

5) Practice
6) Have fun

[color:red]I can't wait to get home from work so I can play!

Practice makes perfect!

Oh sister you are already an ATG addict!
The only missing advice I see is: make sure you have a back up roll and when you replace that get another right away.
Oh and get Henri to change your rolls for you. I am going to send her mine. I figure tracking her down wherever in the world she is + her 7 second to do it and then the return will still happen in less time than it seems to take me to get it loaded.

I blame that on being left-handed: bet you didn't know that all scrapping tools are right handed?

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to GMFTS

Great minds think alike!

I already have my backup roll! It came with 2 rolls of adhesive when I bought it.

I will definitely track down Henri wherever she is just so I can travel! I wonder how honey would like it if I had to tell him,"I have to go to China so Henri can change out my new roll!" Then we could all join in and have an ATG Refill party.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pamela.tx

• pamela.tx Said:
Great minds think alike!

I already have my backup roll! It came with 2 rolls of adhesive when I bought it.

I will definitely track down Henri wherever she is just so I can travel! I wonder how honey would like it if I had to tell him,"I have to go to China so Henri can change out my new roll!" Then we could all join in and have an ATG Refill party.

Great Idea!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

You are so funny. It has gotten that no matter which crop I'm attending, when someone needs tape changed, they pass the ATG to me. I always look at the clock first and time myself to try to beat my record.

The ladies in the frame department at Michaels can beat me though. I've watched them.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Nobody has to track me down! Just all of you come with us on the next trip!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

• Henri Jean Said:
Nobody has to track me down! Just all of you come with us on the next trip!

Now that's a way better idea. (Passport in hand) When and where are we going?

Expert
In response to pugs223

Me too????

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics