Page 2 of 5 
Username Post: I have WAY too much paper!        (Topic#1581081)
Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to aquabunny

You guys use such funny words.

Too much paper?

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to aquabunny

agree with the garage sale theme - just paper won't sell imho. i never look through the paper stacks, but i do look at the kits - in the last one i got a random kit 'cause i wanted the sheet of stickers and the buttons were cute, then found out the paper was quite nice too. if it were separate, i'd just get the stickers and walk away from the rest. so if you want to get rid of paper - make up a kit!

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to IzzyB

hello - my name is Carla and I am a Paper Addict!!!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to aquabunny

Sigh!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to dwelch

I sold at my LSS garage sale last spring....I did sell some paper, actually ALL of it sold!
What I did was put about 10 pieces of pattern paper in a clear 12x12 plastic bag and sold the bags for $2.00 each....they ALL went....
Our LSS has you drop off your stuff, labelled, priced etc.. Then, they do all the selling and keep track of what sold (I always type out a list of stuff for them to check off). After the sale, you come pick up what didn't sell and they give you a gift card for the value of your stuff.
It's smart business for them as they are obviously making money on the deal. I don't mind, though because it is stuff I would otherwise give away and I always end up spending in this LSS anyway......it's a pretty good store.

Alison

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dwelch

I don't think you can have too much nice paper that you like, but I do think you can have too much of the ugly stuff you will never use.

I donate it but I should put it in paper bundles to sell.

At the scrapbook store garage sales the paper is usually in bundles in plastic - 50 sheets for $5.00 seems to be pretty standard. For $5.00 - if I find 20, or even 10 sheets I really like in the bundle I've done really well!

I don't buy any pre-made kits - I like to make and assemble my own so I don't even look at them.

But I love to find 50 sheets of patterned paper in one bundle - I have a field day with those and alwyas find enough in the bundle to make it well worth the investiment.

When paper is loose in a bin for 10 cents a sheet, I don't go through that too much. I get bored after starting to go through them and the good papers get picked over way too quickly. Pluse the ends start to get bent so I ignore paper that isn't packaged in plastic.

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to aquabunny

I just started and I don't have very much paper. The scrapbooking store here closed down and JoAnn's doesn't have a selection I like. I can pay for shipping and for the paper if you want to mail it to me. Just pm me your address and I will send you an envelop and money for postage and money for your paper if you want money for it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Lunareclipse

I just donated hundreds and hundreds of sheets to cancer research for their big sale. That is where all of mine goes now. When I got my ATG I had just bought 75 boxes of a different repositionable adhesive on sale and I don't use repositionable anymore so donated all of that.

I have another small stack of stuff in a stack for the cancer research sale next year but not much.

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
  • stick Said:
  • Jarvae Said:
...eh... I tell my DH that he's lucky... some people collect shoes, and they take up a lot more space!

Wait ... shoes are bad?!?!

Hey, I never said they're bad, I just said they take up more space! It's the one thing that I *don't* collect, and I use that to draw attention away from all the things I do collect like scrappy stuff and purses. And shot glasses. And books. And... oh nevermind.

Shoes are my weakness! Honey told me I needed to go through my shoes because there are some he has never seen me wear and I should get rid of some.....I told him I have never seen him use any of his guns (don't freak out we are country folk...lol) so he needs to get rid of them too. Needless to say, ever since that conversation happened, I have never heard anything else about my shoes again.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pamela.tx

I LOVE shoes!!!!

I have also started a new obsession with glasses. There's this website out there that glasses are as cheap as $6.95 (and that's with the prescription). They just ran a BOGO deal...I may or may not have 8 new pairs of glasses on the way.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to aquabunny

Probably the paper that most people put for the LSS sales is the same "ugly" paper that no one else wants either. I always wonder why the manufacturers think they have to put a few pages of the ugly stuff in a stack. Does it cost less to make? Maybe...they probably don't have to pay much to an artist to make some of the ugly designs :>)

I figure I'll use my unloved papers sometime for a mat, to cut flower petals/photo corners/alphies/punched borders out of it, or just to mess with some new technique so I don't wreck a beautiful piece of paper.~Judy

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to mrsdriver5

Yeah, I have some truly ugly papers from a DCWV Photo Real stack, and I use them to try out punches and stamps and for a couple of occasions where I was making a page from individual components and needed a base layer to attach them to, like the two below.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to aquabunny

Sometimes I can look at a piece of paper and think it's ugly and no matter what I do with it, the LO is ugly.

Then I find a BEAUTIFUL LO in the gallery and upon looking for the details, I see the artist used that same ugly piece of paper and it's gorgeous in the LO.

So maybe that's why the paper packs come with such a variety.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to pugs223

Peg—I did a couple of LOs that I chose the paper because I figured most of it would be covered and I could get rid of it. Then I changed how I wanted to do one of the pages, but since I'd ATG'd everything down, I tore the ugly paper trying to get things off. But...by then I liked the ugly paper for the way it went with everything else...so I had to buy another stack to get some more of the ugly stuff

Then, one of the gallery comments was from someone saying how much they liked the paper that I had used. Yep, it was the "ugly paper".~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

How funny!

I did have some pictures recently and used some paper that I hated because the colors worked. It actually turned out to be a pretty cool layout.

I almost gave that paper away!

Seaside Dreams
Veteran
Seaside Dreams
In response to Henri Jean

No such thing as too much paper if you love what you have.

As far as garage sales and paper...unless they're kits or stacks, the best way is to put it in big bags and bulk price it. I've sold nearly all the paper I've ever had for sale that way. I even gave a bit of a price break if people bought so many packs. Much easier and sold much better than individual sheets.

Edited by Becky in OR on 09-26-12 03:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Seaside Dreams

When I went to the scrapbook yard sale at St. Pete (Whim-So-Doodle) in January I bought 6 packages of bulk paper - about 50 pages per pack and they were priced at $5.00 per package.

I went home with 300 new sheets of paper and a lot of them were keepers! In some packs I loved nearly all of them and some packs only 4 or 5 but I definitely scored big!

That is what I look for a the scrapbook store yard sales - bundled or packaged of random patterned papers!

Then what I don't like - I donate.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-26-12 04:20 PM
In response to Henri Jean

My sister came up for a week to visit and we went to Joann's to buy her some papers and whatnot. She picked some papers from the clearance stack that I really didn't care for, but I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure what her plan was.

When we started using the papers and combining them with some of my cricut carts and other embellies, I ended up loving her pages so much I went back to the clearance pile to find more of that paper. So funny how things work out that way.

Expert
In response to aquabunny

I have way too much paper...but never the right color...ha ha.
Husband laughed when I brought in 25 piece packs of paper (all the same color) in from tuesday morning. "you need more paper?", he mused. "But it was only 1.99", I replied. He turns, shakes his head, and walks away.

Resident
In response to deedee49

DeeDee, I had to LOL out your post. I have had the exact same reaction from my husband.

I have tons of patterned paper and I just keep buying. I love to mix and match manufacturers. I almost never do a complete layout with all the same manufacturer.

Two of my last few layouts have been old paper that I wasn't sure I would ever use but now they are some of my favorites. Keep that ugly paper..you just never know when you will use it...and love it!

Page 2 of 5 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics