Page 1 of 5 
Username Post: Smash books...        (Topic#1581103)
arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac

Hi, everyone! What exactly is a smash book? And how do you use it? Thank you for your input.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to arteshamac

Good question! I'm curious myself!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

I'm not really the right person to answer since I haven't done a smashbook, but my oldest granddaughter loves doing them. I think of it as a scrapbook album without all the work :>)

She just went on a trip to DC and NYC and took a book with her. Each day she'd "smash" in the ticket stubs, receipts, notes of what they did...anything she wants to keep, but not worrying about adding flowers, glimmer mist, etc. If she adds a button, it's one she got on the trip. She's leaving room to add some pictures for each day, but just to show what all she did.

If you go to the Gallery and click on the search tab (not the search bar at the top) and put in "smashbook" you'll see lots of examples.~Judy

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to mrsdriver5

Also, if you search for smashbook in the sb store, you'll find all kinds of fun things to go with the books. You can still have fun decorating the pages, but just not to the degree that most people do their LOs.

People sometimes use them to journal their daily life, maybe how they're doing with diets, breaking a habit, getting through a health issue, etc.

They look intriguing...I just can't catch up with what I'm already doing ~Judy

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

Thanks for the reply, Judy.
You explained it very well!

I also clicked on Gallery and then searched "smash books" and found some good pics!

Between your explanation and the pics I now understand.
Funny because I didn't even ask the question but have always been curious!

BTW - I think it looks fun but don't know if I could do something like that w/out feeling the w/drawals of the other type of "scrapbooking"!!! LOL!

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to Doreena

Smash books/journals are anything you wish them to be.
You can have themed pages, collections of images, lists, poems, songs, trinkets, souvenirs, hopes, wishes, dreams, pictures, etc. Like Pinterest in a haphazard free style book form. There is no rhyme or reason for anything in your book, if you like it, claim it on a page.

You can buy them and accessories or make them up yourself.

Quick Video Explanation

arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac

Thanks, Judy! I searched the gallery and found examples. I am going to buy me one this weekend:)Artesha

arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac
In response to PokeyMom

Thank you! I am going to invest in one:)

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

Just watched the video and I want one now too!LOL!
The bad thing is I think Ihave probably threw a lot of stuff away I could have kept in my smash book because I couldn't think of how to incorporate it on a SB page... bummer! Kinda makes me sad actually!

Edited by Doreena on 09-26-12 12:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac
In response to Doreena

I normally keep everything in a photo box, but I don't think it's too late to start one:)

arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac
In response to Doreena

I am going to watch a video of one when I get home. Thanks:)

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

• arteshamac Said:
I normally keep everything in a photo box, but I don't think it's too late to start one:)

Yeah, I guess it really is never too late...
Good luck w/ yours!!!

arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac
In response to Doreena

Good luck with yours, too

Tenant

I've just started a scrapbook smashbook! It's divided into sections (I made my own) that has room for quotes, shopping lists, tips, techniques,scrap lifts and layouts. I fill it with clippings from magazines, websites and my own lists and ideas. I use the stickers I wont use in my scrapbooks to decorate.

Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to PaperTulip

I gave a smashbook to my 10yr old dgd and she went wild. Stickers, papers, photos, coloring things, ribbons, etc. Anything & everything. When I gave it to her, she asked what to do and I told her to do anything she wanted. Write it, scribble, whatever. There is no wrong or right. She's done that one and another on their 2 wk vacation is summer and now she's on a 3rd one.
Absolutely the greatest way for kids too to get creative!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Abby0317

I ordered one of off Amazon yesterday and I am just itching for it to get here!
I'm trying to decide if I should wait until January to start using it and then use it to document all of 2013 or start as soon as I get it?
I guess I'll just have to play it by ear.

At first I was hesitant becaue I thought it may be a distraction from my scrapbooking, but I thought about it some more and I realize it will actually assist me w/ my scrapbooking!
I can jot down notes, write down ideas and document events in the book and then later on I can refer to it when I want to make an actual scrapbook page about the event. But if I never do get around to it, I will still have the memory documented in my fun little book!

Edited by Doreena on 09-27-12 07:28 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Doreena

i bought a Smash book and gave it to myself for my birthday because I knew no one else would get it for me. what I have got to learn is think outside the page. I tell myself nothing has to be as it is.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to cescrapper

doreena your idea sounds good. i want to document 2013 but i know i don't want to do another project Life. This is a goood idea.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to cescrapper

Yes, I think it will be less stressful to have everything documented in the SMASH book, but if you decide you really want to create a scrapbook page about it, you still can and you won't have to try to remember the details of the event because it will already be documented in your book! Heck, the journaling for your page will already be done too!

Edited by Doreena on 09-27-12 07:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac
In response to Doreena

Doreena, when I first asked the question and got all of the wonderful suggestions, I knew I would get one. I love to write and have kept a journal since I was eleven! I won't stress myself out about my smash book( that I'm purchasing today), but I will use it as a tool to help me with my memories and writing. I willl not allow it to overwhelm me to the point where I abandon my scrapping. Lol! Now it's time to clip my 40% coupon from M's so I can get my smash book;) I am not sure if I will wait until 2013 to start mine. I, too, will play it by ear. I wish I had something like this as a teen!

Page 1 of 5 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics