Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Do I need it??        (Topic#1581235)
thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8

I have a cricut expression 2 but lately I have been wondering if I should purchase a big shot or not. I have the texture boutique so I am able to emboss but it does cut dies. Do I really need the big shot though when I have the cricut? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-30-12 09:08 AM
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I personally have resisted getting a die cutter because I like that my cricut can do different sizes. I tried using a friend's die machine and I found that I was really frustrated at not being able to change the sizes to what I wanted. There are times when I'd like to have some of the nesties and embossing folders and such, but then I think about how with each cricut cart I get so many shapes, but each die I only get that, and I have to store them all. There will be tons of people talking about how awesome the big shot is and I nearly get talked into it every time, but I figured I'd share my reasons for not getting one. Yet.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

I have a Cricut but to be honest, I'd rather use my Big Shot or my Slice.

I needed some star shapes last week, so much faster and easier to grab my Big Shot and nesties.

I like being able to center the shapes over a photo or graphic which I could never do on my Cricut.

I was doing a band layout and wanted the pictures the shapes of stars with star mats. I would have never been able to line up my photos to get the shape of the star on my Cricut or my Slice.

Also love the embossing folders. My Big Shot is a keeper.

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to Henri Jean

I say yes to the Big Shot. I have both the Cricut E and the Big Shot and I love the diversity. For me I love the options that both machine offer.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to creater1

I like having the BigKick/Shot to cut thicker pps and chipboard.
But the downside to that is you have to buy a die for every shape/design you want. Definitely not cheap. I like having both like Jackie said.

Henri, I cut specific shapes from pics or pp often with my Cricut. I know there is a way to do it more "technical" with the center point function on the machine, but I use an easy cheaters way!
I use printer pp, say I want to cut my pic in a circle and of coarse centered a certain way, I choose a circle and the size I want on the Cricut, cut it out, leaving the printer pp on the mat, lift the corner, slide my pic under the circle opening I just cut, being sure to align it how I want it, and then just recut. Works perfect for cutting pics into a certain shape or getting specific parts of pp cut to a certain shape.
Just thought I'd share in case you wanted to try. It's super easy!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to ChansGram

I use the markers in my cricut to test projects. Print on plain copy paper and can check size, etc. especially when going to cut vinyl projects for friends. They can take the paper home, make sure it's wht they want before I cut on vinyl.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-30-12 11:57 AM
In response to SherylEb

I really enjoy have both machines (although I have a Gazelle, not a Cricut). The main reason is that I use papers sometimes that don't work very well with electronic die-cutters. Fibrous art papers, very textured papers, handmade papers, tissue-thin papers that would tear if I lifted them from the sticky mat, coated papers that don't like to stay stuck to the sticky mat and tend to slide around under the blade.

And, since we live in such a small apartment and everything has to stay in a storage cabinet until I use it - it is much easier sometimes to pull out the Big Shot and my dies than it is to set up the Gazelle.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to stick

I have the original Cricut Personal and a Sizzix Big Kick (same thing as the Big Shot). I love them both. They each have specific things they're good at, and frankly I prefer doing things with the Sizzix when possible, largely for space-related issues like what stick mentions (I have very limited table space and have to move a lot of things out of the way to use the Cricut).

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I will have to try that with my Cricut Trish. Sounds like a great idea!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to aquabunny

Like my friend Nancy says...."Need is relative. Need all you want."

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ScrappyMama6

the short answer,,,,,,,,,YES.

but don't ask me,,,,,,I tend to slightly enable when it comes to dies for the big shot or any other die cutter. Only ever so slightly though,,,,,,,
Products Referenced in This Post:

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to CommaHolly

Holly,you are sassy!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to ChansGram

I have not seen those decorative labels 8. That is pretty! I just bought romantic rectangles, I may "need" those 8's !

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ChansGram

I just bought the romantic rectangles too. Hollly made me do it.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

psssssssssst, Floral Ovals are gorgeous too!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Hey Holly - you already enabled me on that one too. It's already found its way here! And I love it.

You are so bad Holly!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Have you tried any Memory Box dies or any Cottage Cutz dies????

I love the tea time doily die by Cottage cutz,,,,

you can see it here on this card,,,,,,and the other dies are Memory Box,,,,

DT work for SCH 'Vintage Animals' challenge By CommaHolly

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I don't think I have any of the memory box dies. Right now I need to take a deep breath and at least try some of the ones I have. I need to use them and then buy more. Right now I'm started a great collection! I love them and want to use them.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8

Even after I have read all your posts I still can't decide on whether or not I should purchase one. I really like the cricut and I am just not sure. Oh decisions

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to thehappyscrapper8

can you try one at an LSS or a friend's house??

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics